snipped-for-privacy@host122.r-bonomi.com (Robert Bonomi) wrote:

True...and it's being discussed in many newsgroups.
A friend is trying one in Denmark, he dropped it after one day.
Personal e-mail is the n7bsn but at amsat.org
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Ah, OK, I will admit they are not the only one. But let me tell you, I have never heard anything good about any of the other ones in modern times (that modern times in internet time).
says...

news.readfreenews.net?

Larry Blanchard wrote: ...

Do they allow posting?
says...

They did - I post from it now and then, but not in this group. I don't know if Mike (the man in charge) is accepting new "full" members or not at present. I do know he stopped for a while at least.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

I figured as much...I've not found any that do other than nin that are usable...perhaps there are some, but ... :(

They've been giving away news service since 1989. I figure that's worth some extra consideration, even if the service _wasn't_ as good as it is.
Dave Hinz wrote:

Google does not do any binaries, which is very annoying.
Bert

There's a LOT that Gooogle doesn't do.
Which is why I'm happy to pay for a decent news feed.
djb

Well, either does news.individual.net. If I cared about binaries, I'd look at getting a supernews account, I suppose.
says...

Damm it Dave, you've got to quit posting things I agree with :-).

Dammit. OK, just for a reality check, I just ran down a list with the Californai Pinko Commie that sits through my cubicle wall, and we still profoundly disagree on anything philosophical. So, it's not me baby, it's you...

Yup. there are only about *EIGHTY* (!!) other _established_ companies offering NNTP server services. Most of them 'for pay'. And making significant profits at it. Most of them charge an order of magnitude _more_ than individual.net proposes to charge.
Your ignorance of product offerings, and the *actual* marketplace is showing.
Google is a *terrible* alternative to what "real" news-reader software, talking to an NNTP server, provides.
Of course, If Google is all you've ever used, you simply "don't know any better". However, there is an old Persian proverb about, among other things, "those who don't know what they don't know".
On Tue, 15 Feb 2005 14:56:51 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

<snip of sad story>
I've used them for a few years and found them to be excellent.
I will not pay them not a bit.
I will not pay them I will quit.
I will not pay them if they call.
I will not pay them not at all.
I will not pay them in my house.
I will not pay them with my mouse.
I will not pay them with my dollars.
I will not pay them if they holler.
I will not pay them with their bombast.
I will not pay them I have Comcast.
Burma Shave
And if everyone who used them for free decides not to pay them 10 Euros a year they'll still be ahead of the game.
I've never used them but wish them well.
djb
--
"Modern technology has enabled us to communicate and organize with speed and
efficiency never before possible. People have gotten less competent to
Dave Balderstone wrote:

I always thought it was a bit odd that the German taxpayers were footing the bill for me to have a free news server.
OTOH, I have a crappy but paid for news server from my ISP, so I guess I'm back to that. I'm too much of a cheap bastard to pay $13 a year for something I can get for free, and I don't see enough difference between these two (back on my ISP's server now) to make it worth considering the PITA factor of sending money off to Germany anyway.
"Silvan" wrote

I know what you mean.
I first signed up for the service when my ISP's news servers were dropping a major chunk of each day's posts. The final straw was when they dropped all my posts.
Since that time, I have been through three different news servers with them. The present one actually works. The only problem is that about 5 % of the posts are posted a little late ( 1-5 hours). I can live with that.
Soooo...., I wish them well. And I know they will provide a good service for their customers. And I will use them as a backup if I need to in the future.
But I can do with what I got now.

the
Why? Apparently US taxpayers are footing the bill for German sewers.
http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/tax/shelter/producer.html
-j

Do you know how to read? It's tax loophole for the rich and powerful. "---one of the more malodorous tax shelters U.S. corporations are now using to cut their tax rates."-----"we confirmed that the Bochum sewer lease was a half-billion dollar deal involving the fifth largest U.S. bank -- Wachovia. (Last year, Wachovia's annual report indicated that it paid no federal taxes on $3.6 billion in profits. A big chunk of its tax savings came from its $3 billion in leasing activities --"