OT New "Texas Survivors" season

I've found that when asked by Canadian border authorities if I brought any guns from Texas with me, that simply saying: "No, I mailed them ahead to my hotel" is good for a chuckle or two.

Reply to
HeyBub

Well, I don't think I caught you. I think it was more like a nibble. ;^)

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Uh, Texas does have deserts. And mountains. And grasslands. and, believe it or not, trees.

Texas has five national forests* in the "Piney Woods" area of east Texas comprising about 635,000 acres of pine trees. These National Forests cover an area a little less than 1,000 square miles, but there's plenty of pine trees outside these forests - evidently there's a waiting list to get in.

Here's a list of several hundred trees native to Texas, from Acacia to Yucca (strange, I didn't know Yucca was a tree, but this list was put together by drunk Aggies, so use circumspection...).

* Angelina, Caddo, Davy Crockett (PBUH), Sabine, Sam Houston (PBUH).

Reply to
HeyBub

Hey! Even as just a visitor to the fair town of Kyle, I was afforded a "tab" at the Kyle Hardware Store, a seat at the old kitchen table in the back, free coffee if I had my own cup, and got to know a half dozen local characters sitting around that table in the back

- one an old flamboyant gay gentleman, another a crusty weather worn rancher, an about to retire lineman for the electric company who shoots some of his buddies up on a pole - with a pellet gun - just for fun (he only give the rifle a pump or two), a semi-retired elderly gambler, and Bubba, the son of the couple who own the place, who invited me to go Muddin' with him sometime before my visit ended.

When a furniture maker friend suggested I stop in at a local turning club meeting - held in a VFW room - I was made to feel at home the minute I walked in the door.

And it's easy to strike up a conversation with Texans, unlike city dwelling New Yorkers. And they don't hold it against you if you don't drive a pickup - with or without a gun rack. And smoking isn't a Scurge On The Town, nor is tilting back a couple, even in public, assuming it isn't snowing or hailing. And folks don't bitch and moan when the thermometer breaks the 85 degree, or 30 degree barrier.

I'm not thrilled about the idea that they have a Death Sentence Express Lane - but that's just my view.

So, hats off to Texans. I won't hold Dubya against them either

- since he's actually a New England Blue Blood, despite his Aw Shucks, Shit Kicker fascade, Tejano disguise.

Reply to
charlieb

referring to is the one Las Vegas is in.

Reply to
Leon