OT New "Texas Survivors" season

Page 1 of 3
Due to the popularity of the "Survivor" shows, Texas is planning to do one entitled, "Survivor, Texas-Style."
The contestants will all start in Dallas , then drive to Waco , Austin , San Antonio , over to Houston, then down to Brownsville . They will then proceed up to Del Rio , El Paso , Midland , Odessa , Lubbock , and Amarillo . From there they will go on to Abilene , Fort Worth , and, finally, back to Dallas . Each will be driving a pink Volvo with bumper stickers that read: "I'm Gay," "I Love the Dixie Chicks," "Boycott Beef," "I Voted for Obama," "George Strait Sucks," "Hillary in 2012," and "I'm here to confiscate your guns." The first one to make it back to Dallas alive, wins.
On Sun, 1 Mar 2009 12:02:32 -0600, "Leon"

I think that post says things about your fellow Texans that you might not have intended and many of whom might not appreciate. It also paints with quite a broad brush a picture of your state that isn't as attractive as you might think.
There are two or three here on the wreck I would have expected this sort of thing from--you weren't one of them.
--
LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Come on! Right from the get go, it's obvious that it was intended to be a joke. Are we all obligated to be so exactly politically correct that the occasional red neck joke is out of line? And take my word for it, my use of a wheelchair makes me all too aware of what's appropriate and what isn't. Most can tell if there's malice behind any statement and there wasn't a shred of it in Leon's joke.
wrote in message

Bingo!!
Consider the source ... this was from the self styled "emergency management expert" who loudly denigrated the "Bubba's in bass boats" who were actually saving lives in Louisiana during the aftermath of Katrina .. something his "trained experts" proved abysmally incapable of doing.
... par for the course.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
wrote in message

Ditto, funny with no malice. I'm from Marble Falls, wife is 5th generation Austinite, she thought it was funny. The PC crowd.....never mind. If you can't say something nice, say nothing. You need be able to laugh at yourself.

Well, I am sorry if it offended you or any one else, I truly am. It was not aimed at any one in general as Texans fall on both sides of liking/ tolerating and not liking/ not tolerating all of the mentioned. The post was not politically correct, but Texans are not always politically correct because we are human, thank goodness.

Why would you apologize? I have seen the hugely sensitive LRod shit hemorrhage enough verbal diarrhea to fill a five gallon bucket if he

about his plaid demigod.
Besides... you've been in the trades long enough to know the old addage...
"If they can't take a joke, fuck 'em."
'nuff said.
Robert

Why would you apologize?
I did not want to explain that there really was no Easter Bunny. ;~)

Alright now... you keep it up and there will be questions about Santa Claus as well.
As the kids say, "let's not go there".
Can I get a "yee-haw!"
;^)
Robert

Alright now... you keep it up and there will be questions about Santa Claus as well.
As the kids say, "let's not go there".
Can I get a "yee-haw!"
;^)
Robert
Yeeeee- Hawwwwwwwwww!

*GASP!!*
LRod wrote:

What the hell are you talking about?
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.

like: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7917295.stm
Oops.. also in Texas.

like: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7917295.stm
Oops.. also in Texas.
Are your referring to the video of the cops beating up the girl in the jail cell? That was in Washington state, closer to Canada than Texas. ;!)
Regardless, I don't care who you are, if you show aggression towards law enforcement you are pretty much asking for it. this is pretty much common sense. It may not be right that they went after her but they are only human, like her.
Leon wrote:

While agreeing with everything you say, I'm still mindful of the fact that it was a 15 year old girl, that there were two trained officers, and that it's pretty much unnecessary to pin someone down and THEN beat them to maintain physical control.
Sometimes we're obliged to prove our humanity by exercising adult judgment and self-control, /especially/ in situations like that shown.
(2 cents)
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Agreed! Basically they lowered themselves to her level and they should have probably shown more restraint. They simply lowered their guard and acted on her challange.
Morris Dovey wrote:

It's obvious you've never been a law enforcement officer! It is ever so much easier to beat someone when they are pinned down. For several reasons, but mainly because it's harder for them to escape. If someone is standing when you whack them with your flashlight, they'll often just run away and, well, there you are.
If you study these videos, from Rodney King up to this girl, you'll note that the beatee is almost always on the ground.
It's your basic police training kicking in (pardon the pun).

It's obvious you've never been a law enforcement officer! As a cop, you check your humanity at the door of the precinct house. The lion tamer doesn't deliver Valentine's day chocolates to the big cats, the snake charmer doesn't engage in meaningful dialog with the Cobra. The plumber usually puts on hip boots when down in the sludge pit and a good description for a cop-job is "solid waste disposal." You've got to treat these non-human hazards in an appropriate way or they will kill you.
Don't believe me? Check this: Teenagers (well, up to about 20) kill more people than all other age groups combined.

I was agreeing with charlie that there are other offensive things to rant and rave against.
..and that that kinda shit also happens in Texas....and a lot of other places..but Texas came to mind first...

OMG, take a joke.
Although, I have to say, with the possible exception of Austin, the tone of the joke is dead on. And I've been there a lot.
Now, I grew up in NYC, so if I can't take a joke about my home turf I would be in big trouble. And NY is, as we all know, the center of the universe.
-Jim