OT New "Texas Survivors" season

Due to the popularity of the "Survivor" shows, Texas is planning to do one entitled, "Survivor, Texas-Style."

The contestants will all start in Dallas , then drive to Waco , Austin , San Antonio , over to Houston, then down to Brownsville . They will then proceed up to Del Rio , El Paso , Midland , Odessa , Lubbock , and Amarillo . From there they will go on to Abilene , Fort Worth , and, finally, back to Dallas . Each will be driving a pink Volvo with bumper stickers that read: "I'm Gay," "I Love the Dixie Chicks," "Boycott Beef," "I Voted for Obama," "George Strait Sucks," "Hillary in 2012," and "I'm here to confiscate your guns." The first one to make it back to Dallas alive, wins.

Reply to
Leon

I think that post says things about your fellow Texans that you might not have intended and many of whom might not appreciate. It also paints with quite a broad brush a picture of your state that isn't as attractive as you might think.

There are two or three here on the wreck I would have expected this sort of thing from--you weren't one of them.

Reply to
LRod

Come on! Right from the get go, it's obvious that it was intended to be a joke. Are we all obligated to be so exactly politically correct that the occasional red neck joke is out of line? And take my word for it, my use of a wheelchair makes me all too aware of what's appropriate and what isn't. Most can tell if there's malice behind any statement and there wasn't a shred of it in Leon's joke.

Reply to
Upscale

Well, I am sorry if it offended you or any one else, I truly am. It was not aimed at any one in general as Texans fall on both sides of liking/ tolerating and not liking/ not tolerating all of the mentioned. The post was not politically correct, but Texans are not always politically correct because we are human, thank goodness.

Reply to
Leon

Bingo!!

Consider the source ... this was from the self styled "emergency management expert" who loudly denigrated the "Bubba's in bass boats" who were actually saving lives in Louisiana during the aftermath of Katrina .. something his "trained experts" proved abysmally incapable of doing.

... par for the course.

Reply to
Swingman

Quite a few Texans were a long long long time ago.

I seldom think about the Dixie Chicks.

Not me coach.

Lots of Texans did though.

Who?

For what?

Sounds like a good idea to me.

Jim

Reply to
Jim

What the hell are you talking about?

Reply to
Steve Turner

So I guess I'd better remove my "Nuke The Terrorist Gay Baby Whales" bumper sticker?

Lighten up. Loosen up.

There are plenty of actually offensive things going on to cope with - or rant and rail against.

Reply to
charlieb

like:

also in Texas.

Reply to
Robatoy

like:

also in Texas.

Are your referring to the video of the cops beating up the girl in the jail cell? That was in Washington state, closer to Canada than Texas. ;!)

Regardless, I don't care who you are, if you show aggression towards law enforcement you are pretty much asking for it. this is pretty much common sense. It may not be right that they went after her but they are only human, like her.

Reply to
Leon

While agreeing with everything you say, I'm still mindful of the fact that it was a 15 year old girl, that there were two trained officers, and that it's pretty much unnecessary to pin someone down and THEN beat them to maintain physical control.

Sometimes we're obliged to prove our humanity by exercising adult judgment and self-control, /especially/ in situations like that shown.

(2 cents)

Reply to
Morris Dovey

I was agreeing with charlie that there are other offensive things to rant and rave against.

..and that that kinda shit also happens in Texas....and a lot of other places..but Texas came to mind first...

Reply to
Robatoy

About Texans:

In Texas there is a saying that "You can lead a horse to the water. But you can't make him drink". This pretty much describes most Texans.

But you know that another Texan disproved this addage. Actually Two Texans disproved this proverb. It took one Texan to hold the horse's head in the water while the other had to get on the horse's ass and SUCK!!!!

Texans are hardheaded. I know - my dad and mom are from Texas...

Philski (back after a long hiatus from rec.woodworking)

Reply to
philski

Ditto, funny with no malice. I'm from Marble Falls, wife is 5th generation Austinite, she thought it was funny. The PC crowd.....never mind. If you can't say something nice, say nothing. You need be able to laugh at yourself.

Reply to
Rick Samuel

Why would you apologize? I have seen the hugely sensitive LRod shit hemorrhage enough verbal diarrhea to fill a five gallon bucket if he

Reply to
nailshooter41

Hmmm.... sounds like a spew from a denizen of the lesser states...

I think it quite odd in my limited travels that I have had to hear from all the open minded folks in New Mexico, Nevada, California etc., that in their "open mindedness" they have such negative opinions about Texas. (I have found many Oklamhomans to be just like Texans, so they don't count.)

Most have never been here, and they aren't really sure why, but they many seem to have strong, negative, vocal opinions they simply must share.

Strange, too. You would think listening to them that >we Texans< would be the judgmental folks with big mouths ready to shit blast anyone within range about another's State. Never met more opinionated, judgmental folks in my life (except in Dallas) than when I left the borders here.

Get a group of Californians ragging on Texas (even though they haven't personally been here, they all seem to "know" someone from here - and hearsay seems to qualify as personal experience for many) and you can't get a word in edgewise from all the whining.

Robert

Reply to
nailshooter41

Possibly, the attitude of superiority from Texans? You just did it yourself by calling other states "lesser", maybe unconsciously, but still done nevertheless.

And, you're still doing it by accusing Californians of whining. If you're going to voice a complaint about people criticising Texas, then it would be helpful to your case if you didn't do it by criticising other states at the same time.

I don't know any Texans much less anybody from the US that I knew was American, so all I can do is voice how it appears to me as an outside observer.

Reply to
Upscale

Why would you apologize?

I did not want to explain that there really was no Easter Bunny. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

Agreed! Basically they lowered themselves to her level and they should have probably shown more restraint. They simply lowered their guard and acted on her challange.

Reply to
Leon

Now that is funny. Leave it up to a Texan to find a solution, perhaps not one that every one would agree with or do but they get the job done.

Reply to
Leon