OT? New Granddaughters(long)

To our wRECk family. We're having a blessed event! We're in western NY, and daughter Kim, SIL Steve has a sister Linda in Nevada with a daughter who has

4 girls 1 1/2 to 10 yr. old. Last 2 wk. have unfolded info that father is in pokey(parole violation), mother is ? and girls have been in Nevada state home since Mar 8th.

First came to light when detectives were asking Linda where her daughter was. Much telephone communication, Nevada was going to foster them out, also on verge of terminating parental rights and adoption, which would separate them. Kim & Steve have already been through screening, training, etc., as they were planning on doing foster care, and told Nevada they would take them, also if adoption was possible they would adopt them all!

Current status - - Nevada will shortly fly Kim & Steve out there for a week for observation, etc., and if all is OK, will fly all 6 back here. In the meantime, we're in a RUSH remodel of the two bedrooms they will have. The building was originally a turn of the century(last century) post & beam structure. Whoever originally converted it to living spaces had no concept of spacing for 4' panels, although they used 4' Celotex. Between family & a "work ministry" group from their church, the two rooms have had the exterior walls & ceilings gutted. Steve & I have got the two front walls nearly re-studded, tonight we will put last 2 studs in front wall, then run wiring for new outlets and electric baseboard heat. Wed. the work ministry will be here and work on one ceiling to level it up and reinforce it, also make spacing usable by "marrying" new 2 x 4s to old. The old interior walls we're just going to leave the Celotex on and drywall over it(should be interesting trying to find all the studs, even with a good finder).

Somehow we'll get it all done in time! Whatever happens, it will be for the good. We don't know the whole story, but these little girls have NOT had a wonderful life, and God willing, the State of Nevada going along with him, they will be joining a large family with a great amount of love to give.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Wow, what a wonderful thing for these kids. Best of luck to your family.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

(snip)

Norm: I'm in awe of the love, commitment and determination your family is showing. Those girls will have a chance because of you. Best of luck--not that you'll need it.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Schmall

snip of details

Enjoy. Sounds like it is something you want to do, will enjoy and, of course, should do. Hard to beat the combination and should be great for the kids.

Charlie Self "Conservative, n: A statesman who is enamored of existing evils, as distinguished from the Liberal who wishes to replace them with others." Ambrose Bierce

Reply to
Charlie Self

"Bob Schmall" wrote in news:t_UIc.11276$ snipped-for-privacy@twister.rdc-kc.rr.com:

Every family, no matter how they come together, needs all of the luck, and all of God's blessings, to succeed.

Our best to you all!

Patriarch

Reply to
patriarch

Blessings on you all. From one who has been there, you will see joy and sadness, triumphs and failures, peace and commotion, and love. Best of luck. mahalo, jo4hn

Reply to
jo4hn

The kindness and love exhibited by your entire family shines a bright light into the dark corners of these tumultuous times ... all the way to Texas.

May God bless you all.

Reply to
Swingman

That's great, My SIL and BIL adopted 4 young children from a broken family with similar type parents. These 4 added to their own 3 children.

Reply to
Leon

Norm, I'll still give you a call in a couple of weeks when we get there, but I'll certainly understand if you're too busy to get together for a cup.

- - LRod

Master Woodbutcher and seasoned termite

Shamelessly whoring my website since 1999

LRod

Wow! And Congratulations!

There's are some folks who when faced with a similar situtation would'a said "that's a darned shame" and moved on. And then there's folks that say "Not while there's a breath left in me" and do something about it.

Thank you for decision. Those are true blessings, indeed.

Reply to
patrick conroy

As one who has been there, there will be trying times and times when you think life couldn't be any better. Praying that those will vastly outnumber the trying times. Years from now the girls will thank you, I will thank you today.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Gibson

Bob, Charlie, Leon, Rick, et al:

Thank you so much.

I should clarify - - the work is in Kim & Steve's home, not ours. They are the ones with the brave faith! I just happen to be the family "tool junkie", or as Kim says, the "Cliff Huxtable" in our clan(I'm the one who wasn't allowed to go to Woodworkers Warehouse without a chaperone, or at least someone who could "squeal" on me).

I'm going to put up a few "before & after" pics as we go along, on abpw.

Once again, thank you all for your comments and prayers.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

Reply to
larry in cinci

The rest of the story . . It's been a hectic 6-7 weeks. Kim & Steve went to Reno on Wed. 9/1, returned with the girls on Sun. 9/5. I'm posting some before/after pics on ABPW, as well as one of the "family" when they visited Lake Tahoe while there.

Still have to finish the window trim, baseboards & heaters, but both rooms have new donated wall to wall carpet, installed for $25 by carpet store mgr., who donated the tack strips & pad. The beds, dressers, etc. are all moved in & the girls have sleeping space.

The girls are beautiful, and are just "soaking up" the love & affection.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow

I posted a little story called The Wreck Family about a year ago, when I was just getting to "know" all of you. What prompted the story was (I think) Rob Stokes' move to his new digs. I read your story, Nahmie, and that post came to mind again. Best of luck to you and yours.

-Phil Crow

Reply to
Phil Crow

Thank You Phil.

I must also give a belated thanks to all who posted with their support & prayers before.

Reply to
Norman D. Crow