OT: new Gillette Fusion is great!

Page 1 of 2

I'm not one to fall for marketing blitzes, but I figured if I give the newest Gillette razor a try and don't like it, Costco would give me back my $17.99. I thought the price was incorrect on the display, as the battery version cost the same as the "manual" version. Turns out they are sold for the same price. Weird.
Anyway, gave it a try today in lieu of my trusty Mach III. I couldn't feel a thing, other than the odd buzzing of the "motor". It cuts with such smoothness that I thought I wasn't pressing hard enough. I got the closest shave ever and now I've got to figure out what I'll do with the 16 extra blades for my Mach III. Craigslist? <g>
The thing works with or without power. the deciding factor for me to upgrade is that it's hard to accurately trim my sideburns with the Mach III. The fusion has a single blade on the back side and I find it works great for precision trimming.
Sometimes newer IS better...
oh, expect sticker shock when you see the price of the blades!
Dave

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pH517&cat=1,51222
Probably explains why they have been discontinued.<g>
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

<g> I can almost feel the blood running down my cheeks... Dave

The one at the bottom in the picture looks like it has blood on it. <g>
Lenny
On 15/02/2006 4:40 PM, snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

In Canada, real men use these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&pD448&cat=1,41131,43408
Doug Payne wrote:

link. I expected a hatchet. Now would that be honed via the Scary Sharp method or not??
Dave
On 15/02/2006 6:28 PM, David wrote:

Only for those 'special' Saturday nights out :-) (I don't bother, myself. I haven't shaved since 1967, although I do get a trim when I get my hair cut).

Nah! Much too time consuming. I use one of these.
http://www.leevalley.com/garden/page.aspx?c=2&p198&cat=2,2160,40710
Upscale wrote:

dave

http://www.leevalley.com/garden/Search.aspx?c=2&action=n My GF thinks all men are big babies when it comes to hair removal.
snipped-for-privacy@the.shoppe wrote:

dave
Doug Payne wrote:

On Monday after working on some pine plywood I thought to myself why can't I just shave with one of these
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p 176&cat=1,42500
--
Thank you,

Gee now I feel bad, I've just been using my old case bowie knife for years.

Sweet Sawdust wrote:

I was thinking, I'll bet before there were Gillette razors or hand axes or sling blades or bowie knives, prehistoric man probably used fire to trim his whiskers. Now THERE'S a real man. Makes all you "sharpened steel" boys look like a bunch of girls ;-)
Joe Barta
Joe Barta wrote:

Huh...fire. Still makes you a puss in my book. Here's what I use:
http://www.boschtools.com/tools/tools-detail.htm?H 5979&GT923&IU091
And I have to change belts TWICE each morning. (16 grit)

When I was a kid, on a fishing trip, I sharpened a big, old bowie knife. And because I saw it in a lot of movies, I "shaved" with it. Which was quite a trick, because I had no facial hair at the time.
The next day, my face was red as a beet. And it HURT!
I never tried that again.

Pshaw! Real men in Canada use these:
http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p2016&cat=1,43456,43407&ap=1

OK getting back to these disposable straight razors from Japan. Didn't I read in a Lee Valley catalog that some Japanese men use these the same way we use disposable safety razors. I used one on my arm and it was tricky. I doubt I could safely shave my face with one of these.
BTW Rob Lee if you are reading those razors were pretty crappy for cutting inlays and stuff. The blade would always come loose from the handle and fall out. I still have a couple full packs in my toolbox. I sure ain't going to be shaving with them.:)
snipped-for-privacy@the.shop wrote:

only in the difference in grip. I used one at least once but preferred the straight edge razor. But, I was a teenager and did various things I no longer do. Joe
I got one free in the mail, I have no Idea as to why, But I gave it a try and I too am hooked on it. best shave I ever had!
Searcher