OT: Netzero any good?

Page 1 of 2
I need a cheap backup ISP in case broadband goes down. Any recommendations for a dial up ISP under 10 bucks/mo.?
dave
netzero is good enough for the purpose you describe.
randy

Net Zero and Juno are both the same company. They install light spyware on your computer...1) a forced toolbar at the top of your browser (even the paid version does this) and 2) they automatically change your search page to theirs. I would stay clear of them.
Most of the other free or almost free ISPs make you run their own software, embedded with some sort of spyware.
Try http://isp.net
They give you standard dialup access with no software to download, and plenty of access numbers. Don't go for the "high speed" dialup option. That version requires a software installation, and compromises the security of your PC.
--
Bill

Woodchuck Bill wrote:

later... I called isp.net: they are sending me a CD so I can get on line right away in the event my broadband ever goes down for an extended period.
dave
I made the MISTAKE of trying the paid Net Zero and had one HELL OF A TIME getting them to cancel! Arguing with the woman on the phone I mentioned BBB and she softened.

Forcing your home page is a common practice - albeit an unethical one IMHO. Even Microsoft does it. That does not constitute spyware though. I had not heard any claims of Juno or NetZero installing spyware on systems, and a quick (real quick) google search turned up nothing of the sort. While a toolbar on your machine or an altered start page may be annoying to both of us, it's far from spyware.

I've used *some* of this type of software and Spybot does not complain about it. Our experiences differ.

Geeze Bill, ya gotta have software on your PC, or else it just sits there. Hell, I'd be more suspicious of Microsoft than of the ISP's that are out there.
--
-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Does your broadband connection go down alot? ??
--
Bill

Gee, I wonder why Bay Area Dave would feel the need to have another ISP lined up.
Dave Hinz wrote:

available in my area yet. DUH!
dave
Woodchuck Bill wrote:

that's their sales dept!! :)
dave

DSL and cable have gotten pretty reliable in the Bay Area. It's certainly not like it was 4 years ago, or so.
Which technology just got to your area?
Patriarch, an early adopter, fortunately.
patriarch < wrote:

dave

You should really have very few problems. After the first couple of weeks, the system gets settled down, and there are really very few times when you can't get pretty good service. The first few weeks relate to set-ups, additions, new equipment settings, and such.
Recommendations:
* Get an inexpensive broadband router, with a firewall feature. Fry's will have a good selection under $100. They are easy to set up for someone with your skills.
* Buy an inexpensive UPS/Power filter. This is as useful for the small battery as it is for the master power switch. If you pay more than $100, you've overspent.
* Plug both the cable modem and the router into the UPS - master switch. This makes it much easier to reboot both devices, for those times when you'll need to do that.
My system is set up in the garage on a backboard, and the house is wired CAT5 to there, for Fast Ethernet and voice. The -B wireless access point runs behind the rest of it, with the best, but least intrusive encryption possible.
The cable modem has been more than adequate for our needs.
Welcome to broadband!
Patriarch
We have cable broadband. It has proven to be much faster than our DSL at the office, especially for uploading, but both have been very reliable. Actually, the DSL line at the office has gone down more frequently than our cable connection.
The only potential problem that cable has versus DSL is that too many users on one cable can slow the data transfer, but I have not noticed that problem in three years of service. I live in an area of large yards (~1 acre plus), with fairly low population density, and that is probably a factor in our good experience with the cable broadband.
And boy howdy! Once you get broadband you never want to go back! One thing I've done is to hook up a little fm transmitter so I can broadcast my favorite radio station (KPIG in Freedom, California) around my yard in Seattle, Washington. The broadband stream is very good, and generally sounds as good as the local stations, except that KPIG plays good music.
--
John Snow
"If I knew what I was doing, I wouldn't be here"

Dialup is included already in your SBC/Yahoo broadband package, for that very purpose.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

dave

Ok. They have a pretty good promo going in SJ $26.99/mo. The other major choices are Comcast for cablemodem and speakeasy for DSL.
Speakeasy also offers dial backup as part of the service.
Don't know about comcast, but I'm not a fan of theirs, either. They began rolling out broadband in SJ just a couple of months ago, so they don't have a history in the area.
I've had pacbell DSL for 4 years with no outages yet. Knock on virtual wood.
scott
Scott Lurndal wrote:

they need to provide reliable service.
dave
Also, if you have dsl, when the power is out, so is the broadband.                         Mark L.
Scott Lurndal wrote:

If the power is out, so is your computer.
However, one can always put the DSL modem on a UPS.
scott