OT - Neighbor borrows tools and doesn't bring back

Page 4 of 4

It really depends on the area. There's one parsonage that was 2 blocks from downtown in a little boring town that had to have a dusk to dawn light installed because of people messing with the pastor's property.
Puckdropper

On Wed, 24 Jan 2007 11:54:14 -0600, George Max

You might find <http://calgary.rasc.ca/lp/crime.html to be of interest. There are links and references to several studies.
Please note though that the axe they are grinding is "light pollution" so take it with a large dose of salt.

No idea about stats, but I'm talking about country, not town. I could put dusk to dawns on my shop, but all it does is throw light into my bedroom window during winter when the trees are bare. When the trees aren't bare, I can't see the shop without going down to the basement and out. So, no point.

FF

On Jan 24, 6:55 pm, snipped-for-privacy@spamcop.net wrote:

Dunno how that got away with any new text.
Anyhow, the insurance company may be more concerned about defending against slip and fall lawsuits than about burglary or vandalism.
--

FF

On Mon, 22 Jan 2007 10:56:07 -0500, "Darrin"

My $.02- a guy that doesn't understand why you might not want to loan your tools to him isn't a guy that should be allowed to use them. Those kind of people, I don't worry about pissing off.
There are cases where a guy has already got a shop full of tools, and knows how to take care of them. Everyone finds they need some widget they don't happen to have from time to time, and in those cases, I'm happy to lend a tool- but not if they don't have and maintain their own shop. I'm not a free rental outfit for weekend warriors!
Darrin wrote:

Old Indian advice:
If you don't loan your tools, he get mad.
If you LOAN your tools, you get mad.
Damn site better HE get mad.

I'm moving to a new (old) house and plan on making my garage the workroom. Where I live now I only have 1 neighbor. He has more tools then me, but he did borrow my tile saw. Returned it the following week (as he said) in better condition then when it left.
Anyway, my new house will be in a regular neighborhood, so I think I'll start off by putting a friendly wood sign next to the door to the workroom. "Borrow my wife, borrow my kids, but not the tools or the car"...
Swingman, I didn't know you could get a wife at Harbor Freight. Gotta go home and look at that catalogue again.
-Jim
I dunno, guys. Every time a neighbor comes by to borrow a tool, I give them careful instructions on how to use it. "Now george, you might think you know how to use an electric drill, but check this out. It's reversible. And look a the speed control and how it works. And you can set the torque so it won't strip threads. If you run the battery down it'll stop working, and you'll have to bring it back. There are more ways for a person to hurt themselves with a drill than you might know about. Do you have any questions? I'll be glad to answer them. If you do hurt yourself you're on your own. Please wash off all blood, grease, and paint."
"It's a Porter-Cable drill, and I paid $220. for it. It's a high-end brand, and I know you'll be careful with it, but you know if it's broken I'll expect you to replace it. How long will you need it? Two days? I hate to have my tools gone such a long time. I'll be needing it tomorrow, can you get back by then? If not I'll have to come looking for it, and I hate to do that.
Hey, by the way, guy, I've been looking at the motorboat in your driveway. We were thinking about going up to Carter Lake. Care if I borrow it for the weekend?
--
Vince Heuring To email, remove the Vince.

You've got to check it out. It's a pretty good deal. The quality of the wives they sell is kind of hit and miss (as it is with everything they sell). The best part is the liberal returns policy. No questions asked. Just take her to the register ( even if she is obviously well used), and get a full refund!
Thanks everyone for all the ideas, thoughts, and suggestions. They are great and I've learned from them in how I will handle this in the future. There truly is a fine line between helping someone out in a pinch and being taken advantage of. I think I might be more upset by this than I should be, but dang it, he works at Home Depot and gets an employee discount. I didn't get a discount when I bought these tools. He and his wife both work. My wife works and I'm just starting out in the woodworking business, so I'm not making a whole lot yet. He can better afford tools than I can, yet he comes to get mine. He just had a new patio concreted and hot tub put in, bought his and hers Harley's, already has 2 -250 gallon saltwater fish tanks, got a new 52" widescreen tv, and bought a new SUV last summer for a trip to Myrtle Beach. I guess he needs to save money so he borrows my tools instead of getting his own. But yet, if he would have just brought things back when he said he would, I probably would still let him borrow.
After reading a lot of personal experiences and opinions, I plan on telling him the loaning has to end. My business now is woodworking and my sole basis of income, not just a hobby and I need every tool to do it, even my ladder. I wouldn't go to his job at Home Depot and take his pens, clipboard, phone, desk, or chair. If he gets mad, well he won't be the first person I've pissed off. My biggest problem with that is I spent 9 yrs at my old house pissed off at my next door neighbor and that can be pretty rough.
I now have gotten back all my tools except for the extension cord. Since my original post, it's still strung across his backyard with one freezing rain and two snows on it. I've bought a new one (I had forgotten how expensive they are) and plan to tell him to just keep it as it probably didn't weather to well. I told the lady at the local hardware store why I was buying a new cord and she said "Well, I wouldn't let that sucker borrow anything of mine again."
I've come to finally put 2 and 2 together and realize he did know what he was doing when he scouted my tools and them came to borrow. He buttered me up with all the "you're a good neighbor" talk on the first time we ever met. Maybe he saw me moving all my tools in and he was going to make a good neighbor out of me. I can understand if a project takes longer than expected and he needs it for a while longer, but he should have asked if he could keep it longer or brought it back and ask if he could borrow it again tomorrow. I truly don't think he has a hidden agenda, but he is being disresctful to me and that surely doesn't make me want to let him have more tools.
I would figure that since he has lived at his house for at least 5 yrs. that he would already have some of these tools, especially the ladder and extention cord. I think it's time I suggest he use his Home Depot employee discount. I've seen that he doesn't take care of his own property very well as his nice riding mower sat out in the rain all spring and into the summer. He came over and borrowed my jumper cables when the mower wouldn't start and jumped the battery with his car battery. He blew it up and destroyed the mower, but did bring my jumper cables right back.
His kids asked me yesterday if they could borrow my snow shovel, I said "no" so they went in and got their own. I think Daddy is teaching them how to borrow from neighbors. I also think Daddy already owns a lot of what he comes to borrow.
I heard this phrase a few years ago "No one can take advantage of you unless you let them." I just quit letting him.
Thanks to all, Darrin

"Darrin" wrote

You never mentioned these facts. The solution is obvious. You will let him borrow any tool as long as he leaves one (or both) of the Harleys as a deposit.
Problem solved.
Well yeah but what about a deposit...?
Sticking him with the 2 boat anchors is more of an insult than the borrowing of the tools...
John E.

No more reason is needed. It's how you make your living. No tools, no revenue, no customer recommendations. See ya later!
Patriarch
On Thu, 25 Jan 2007 11:48:48 -0500, "Darrin"

Damn! They must be paying pretty well at Home Dept these days.
Dave Hall

His friend must be the *owner* of Home Depot. I believe he just got a nice golden handshake.

That's all the reason you need to say 'no.' Back when every corner gasoline station was a *service* station, a lot of mechanics had signs up on their toolboxes that said "I make my living with my Snap-On Tools. Please don't ask to borrow them."

There ya go. That's all it takes.
--
Regards,
. How do you

I think we've all made this same mistake. When I was younger, I lent out some tools to a neighbor. The guy had the balls to even put them on his pegboard. When I asked for them back, he said, "Oh come on, you don't really need these, do you?" LOL. His plan was to hope I forgot about them, and STEAL them.
Now I just tell them, "sorry, but I'm going to need them soon".. If they need clamps to make a repair or something cut, I invite them to bring their repair over and do it in my shop (under my watch, or I do it for them).. But I don't lend out anything that I want back.