OT - Need Source for Long Elevator Bolts

I need a few elevators bolts in the 3 3/4" to 4" range. Every place I've found on-line seems to carry a max length of 3". I've tried McFeely's, Graingers, McMaster-Carr, and few other web sites.

A local Fastenal store says that can get them for me, but only in lots of 50. At least that tells me that they exist.

Short of calling every company that lists a 3" bolt to see if they can get longer ones, does any know of a source that I can go directly to?

Thanks!

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Local Fastenal here says they'll get any quantity of anything (altho I'll admit I've never tried for stuff that would likely be highly unlikely they would sell the rest w/o too much trouble, I just picked up a small lot order of square-head bolts...

What diameter you want? If no other fastener distributor local, no other real ideas, sorry...

--

Reply to
dpb

Reply to
Pat Barber

"hi this may sound strange but how about an elevator maintenance company? surely they could spare few

Len

Reply to
Leonard Shapiro

Does it need to be an elevator bolt? Would a carriage bolt work instead? They're available in more sizes.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Friesen

I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates, but if you need a long bolt, usually a nut on a length of all-thread will do it. When the head type matters, I've also used splice nuts- couplings for threaded rod- with Loctite.

Reply to
whit3rd

Yes, it needs to be an elevator bolt. I need a flat head that can drawn flush with the wood.

Thanks anyway.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: I'm not sure what "elevators bolts' indicates

For your viewing pleasure...

DerbyDad03

Still don't know what diameter you're looking for -- plow bolts also have flat head but may be larger diameter than you're looking for, I don't know.

--

Reply to
dpb

'elevator bolt' but was too lazy to google it.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

maybe.

Reply to
Woodie

Have access to an engine lathe?

If so, turn an elevator bolt into an elevator nut, then add a standard bolt to complete.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

re: Still don't know what diameter you're looking for

Sorry about that - they must be 5/16" - 18

Reply to
DerbyDad03

That's the site I used to show a picture of an elevator bolt.

They list a 3" max like so many other sites. I guess I'll have to pick up the phone and start calling around.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

re: Looks just like a 'plow bolt'

Thanks, but unless I'm looking at the wrong type of plow bolt, they are not the same.

Compare the heads of the bolts in this picture. I need the flat head to be flush with the surface when drawn tight. It looks like the plow bolt would produce a result similiar to a carriage bolt - a bump if the head is not drawn flush and an indentation around the head if it is.

may just go with the 50 piece order from Fastenal. I'm sure I'll find a use for them once I have them. Cutting a long bolt down is easier than stretching a short one.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Different type of 'plow bolt' than I was familiar with. The ones I knew bolted the plow share on. they had a flush, flat head just as the elevator - had to be flush to keep the dirt from catching. Of course I was wrong in that the 'plow bolt' did not have the square under the head, they only had one 'tit' to keep them from turning.

Harry K

Reply to
Harry K

Compare the heads of the bolts in this picture. I need the flat head to be flush with the surface when drawn tight. It looks like the plow bolt would produce a result similiar to a carriage bolt - a bump if the head is not drawn flush and an indentation around the head if it is.

Can you not just file or grind down the head of a carriage bolt so it's close to what you're looking for? You could do the essentially the same to a regular headed bolt too. If you need the thick neck that carriage bolts have to hold it place, then you could use a fully threaded bolt and just add a nut screwed on all the way.

Reply to
Upscale

re: Can you not just file or grind down the head of a carriage bolt so it's close to what you're looking for?

The project I need these bolts for has some very strict rules about manufacturing your own parts or modifying readily available parts. My options for this bolt are pretty limited - carriage or elevator, by rule. Due to air-flow issues over the surface where the bolts will be installed, the carriage bolts would be a distant second choice.

These bolts are for a Soap Box Derby car where races are won or lost by thousandths of a second. Every opportunity to provide as smooth a surface as possible must be taken advantage of.

"Let up for a second and that's where you'll finish."

Reply to
DerbyDad03

Harry K wrote: ...

Most plow bolts do have square corners -- essentially a flat-headed carriage bolt. The one-sided version are a variation.

--

Reply to
dpb

DerbyDad03 wrote: ...

I have hard time believing there's high enough speeds involved the drag differential would show up... :)

--

Reply to
dpb