OT Napoleon's march to and from Moscow

I once saw somewhere a two-dimensional graphic of this march. IIRC, it contained an upper graph of the number of troops going toward Moscow and a lower graph below of the dwindling number of the Grand Armee troops retreating toward Paris. I Googled for this, but I am unable to find the URL of this or a publication referencing this.

Any help will be appreciated.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

I found something similar:

it is not the one I had in mind.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

Two versions of this are shown as examples in "The Visual Display of Quantitative Information". One of them was IIRC used in the advertisements for the book. The one at University of Texas is derived from one of them.

Reply to
J. Clarke

Hoyt Weathers wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@hiwaay.net:

Try

Jerry Schulteis

long ago. What you posted above is the one for certain. One can even buy an English text copy of it for $18 at the second of your posted URLs. Thanks again.

Hoyt W.

Reply to
Hoyt Weathers

It was also cited as one of the best in a "Proceedings of the ACM" many, many years ago. Don't know if that was before or after the book.

I just looked at the site - it says " Probably the best statistical graphic ever drawn".

Reply to
Larry Blanchard