OT: My first car accident...

Page 4 of 4
On 19 Apr 2004 17:42:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Yeah, just think. If all laws had a sunset provision the legislatures would be so bogged down re-inacting old stupidities they wouldn't have time to enact new stupidities. Oh, well, I suppose we can always dream.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
On 19 Apr 2004 17:42:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:
|Tim Douglass responds: | |>>: And in Oregon it's against the law to flash your lights at someone to |>>: either get them to move over or to get them to dim their lights.|>> |>>Now that's a stupid law!|> |>As I understand it, the law was enacted to prevent people from |>flashing their lights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap - the |>other things are just side effects of badly written legislation. To get from my house into the city I have to drive through Saguaro National Park. The road is a winding, up and down, two-lane road with lots of blind curves. The park actually expanded to include the road, which is basically a commuter route. Nevertheless, it is a national park and visitors are often gawking and otherwise lollygagging, bicyclists are bicycling, walkers are walking, etc. while others are late for work.
We "Friends of the Park" often flash our lights to warn oncoming traffic about some hazard or another. Just makes sense to tip off the unwary. 'Course it works the same when the park ranger is on patrol [g].
Even better would be a rule that in order to enact a new law they have to rescind two old ones.
Wes
Wes Stewart writes:

Make it three and I'll bite. Get rid of the nonsense a shade faster.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

Can you imagine how deeply the congresscritters would be digging into old laws to find those that they could eliminate without actually giving up any power? I can imagine deep mining into the congressional archives to find laws restricting how one hitches their horse. That would work for a little while, then they'd really have to start trimming real laws. (Ah well, one can dream).

Mark & Juanita responds:

And after a time, they'd have to abolish the abolishment law to keep from abolishing the few laws that shouldn't be abolished.
Charlie Self "Ambidextrous, adj.: Able to pick with equal skill a right-hand pocket or a left." Ambrose Bierce
<snip>

In Robert Heinlein's "The Moon Is A Harsh Mistress", the protagonists have just staged a revolution and are trying to decide on a new government structure.
IIRC, one of them suggests that they have one body that creates new laws by a 75% majority vote, while another body does nothing but rescind laws by a 66% vote.
I just love this idea.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
snipped-for-privacy@bendcable.com says...

May have also been enacted because (at least as they taught in drivers' ed many years ago) flashing one's lights to get someone to dim their lights might blind the idiot with their brights on and cause them to lose control.

Mark & Juanita responds:

As they told us, two blind fools don't make for safe driving.
A quick flash, up and down, though, shouldn't really blind an oncoming driver unless he's in the advanced stages of cataract formation, at which time any glare is blinding.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Then there was one of my "pet peeves" when still driving truck - - the PDOT! Seems they, in their infinite wisdom, while reworking the Northeast extension of the PA Turnpike(Philadelphia to Scranton) decided to replace the old steel guardrails between the lanes with your standard concrete construction dividers, EXCEPT - - instead of the standard height ones, they made them about 55" high. This is just dandy for all those brain dead idjits driving up & down the road with their high beams on, as they don't bother each other at all. But, they sure do blind trucks going the other way, and you can flash yor high beams all night long, they never even see it because those lovely high dividers prevent them from even knowing it!
Rant off.
--
Nahmie
The first myth of management is that management exists.

Our situation 'xactly. 7 months pregnant. Praying and driving like a frickin' wildman. Almost four years later, I still get stone cold shivers thinking about it.
(Charlie Self)

I think bicyclist don't deserve special lanes. They don't pay for them. Roads are paid for from vehicle and gas taxes. Bicycles don't pay any. It offends me greatly that the bicyclist thinks he owns the road, can run stop signs at will, can ignore traffic lights when they want, on a whim will use pedestrian ways when it is to their advantage, weaves through traffic causing cars to have to avoid them, and then have the nerve to whine because cars don't "respect" them. As far as I am concerned bicycles are nothing more than potential hood ornimates!
Oh by the way, I ride bikes, motorcycles, and drive cars. It is after all the responsibility of the bicyclist to avoid being run over. Just like cars stay out of the way of semis. The more something masses the more right of way it has. Anyone that argues is going to loose.
(Charlie

> It is after

Cyclists should assume they are invisible if they want to live a long time. However, logic that says "... more something masses (sic) the more right of way it has... " is like a bully's logic.
Cyclists pay for roads through property taxes, income taxes and sales taxes. These taxes would probably more than suffice to pay for the kinds of roads they would need in a car free world. It's not a car free world and the roads required for the roads needed for such are paid for by all the above and by gas and fuel taxes.
One thing I forget on a daily basis: when I finally get ahead that #$#%$ that's slowing me down, there's an endless supply of people in front of him.
john
Joe Willmann wrote:

Tell that to the cars... They have no idea the lengths we go to in order to avoid killing them.
Speaking of irritating vehicles going too slow and being in the way, I hate Amish country.
Dude, when you have 15,000 cars backed up behind you for 187 miles, why not pull off the freaking road for a minute and feed your horses or something?
snipped-for-privacy@users.sourceforge.net says...

Silvan,
    OK, you win -- can't top that one.
JMartin notes:

Around Albany, NY we used to get the occasional horsebacker on the motorcycle trails. I remember one woman waving me down violently as I came around a curve, wanting me to slow down. I did, but without thinking, I pulled the compression release for engine braking. Damned horse went nearly straight up.
Charlie Self "All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, and then success is sure." Mark Twain http://hometown.aol.com/charliediy/myhomepage/business.html