OT: My first car accident...

Page 3 of 4
Remember when that part on rear wheel (bendix?) would give way when you were standing up pushing for all your might to go up a hill. Sure made you wish you were riding your sisters bike without the cross bar.
Stuart Johnson Red Oak, Texas

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (JMartin957) wrote in message SNIP

Yeah when someone rides my ass and honks his horn he's damn lucky if I don't just stop for a while. If I'm in a hurry though I will keep going but at about 10 MPH. If he then tries to go around I have been know to move very much towards the middle.
Dave Hall
(Geezer at 46)
On Tue, 03 Feb 2004 14:36:07 -0800, David Hall wrote:

Oh, great! Not knowing who is behind you or their reason for needing to get somewhere, and you slow down and block the road? Could be someone on the way to the hospital or with some other type of emergency or someone with a bad disposition that wouldn't mind giving you an early listing in the obits.
-Doug
Doug Winterburn wrote:

I've had that experience twice. The first time I was driving a fire truck (lights flashing, siren on) on a 50MHP road and some <expletive deleted> idiot slowed down to 20MPH and switched lanes to drive on the wrong side of the road in order to prevent me from passing. I picked up the mic and called for police help. This bozo turned off before the police appeared; but not too quickly to be greeted by another officer waiting at his home. Just before we arrived at the fire scene, I got a call from the dispatcher letting me know that he'd been arrested.
By the second incident I'd gotten a bunch more training and was (also) a member of the rescue squad. I was responding to a call about a four year old girl who'd fallen through a picture window about a mile and a half away and driving my own car (a very unfiretruck-like P1800E) when it happened again - except that this time I had no two-way radio. I was stuck behind /this/ car for almost a half-mile (a thousand thousand eternities) before I'd had enough, stuffed the shift into first, hit second at seventy, third at ninety-five, and wasn't watching when I hit fourth and O/D. I was still the first to arrive on the accident scene and the kid was lying on the front lawn bleeding from cuts /everywhere/. I moved so fast my joints ached later; but had the worst stopped before the next team member arrived. By the time the ambulance arrived there were five of us working as fast as we could on this one tiny little girl. We were all trembling as the ambulance took off. When the reaction wore off, I thought back over the whole episode and decided that I hadn't handled it very well - and that if I had to do it all over again, I'd do exactly the same thing. That evening I resigned from the rescue squad.
When you next decide to block the road, you might consider the possibility that you might not really know it all.
The little girl in Poughkeepsie survived (just barely); and I'm pretty sure that the guy who was so determined to block traffic will never have a clue. Please don't be like him.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey wrote:

Thanks for posting.
My Dad was an M.D. and about every 5 years he needed to average 100 mph from our house to the hospital 20 miles away. *Pity* anyone who blocked him... ;-)
-- Mark

That was my situation about 4 years ago. Will skip the details, except to say blood was everywhere and we had to get ourselves to the ER fast, or two would die. I drove like a frickin' maniac.
And I get out of folks way now, when I see the same. And say a prayer that they're not in a similar situation.
(JMartin957) wrote in message

That was me and my 9-months pregnant wife when she started bleeding and the doctor said go to the ER NOW! I was blasting down the highway at 100mph with the flashers going. I was actually amazed that the left lane squatters cleared out of the way very smartly for me.
If you're not a cop, please don't take it upon yourself to enforce the traffic laws.
--Neil
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 18:58:56 -0700, "Neil Williams"

I was riding with my mother a couple of years ago and someone came up behind her flashing their lights. She said "I'm going fast enough for anybody" and ignored them.
I reminded her that the year before I drove kinda sorta fast trying to get to the ER before I bled to death after injuring myself at home alone, and that I was very glad she hadn't been in front of me that night.
She pulled over and let them go by.
Mike Patterson Please remove the spamtrap to email me.
Mike Patterson wrote:

Can't speak for anywhere else, but in VA, it's the law that if someone comes up behind you and flashes their lights, you HAVE to pull over and let them pass. Dave in Fairfax
--
reply-to doesn't work
use:

About 12 yr. ago, a stretch of I76 from Nebraska line to Denver, CO had signs about every 2 mi. stating "ALL TRUCKS USE LEFT LANE". Right lane was breaking up and they were trying to even out the wear. I was making that run about once a week for three mo., and about 4 different times some dodo did their best to try and get me out of that left lane. Get in front & put on their turn signals, slow down, you name it, but eventually it would dawn on them what those big yellow signs said! If a bear or other emergency vehicle had come up behind me, I would have moved over, but the only time that happened, thwey came up and blew by in the right lane.
--
Nahmie
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving

And in Oregon it's against the law to flash your lights at someone to either get them to move over or to get them to dim their lights.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
:>Can't speak for anywhere else, but in VA, it's the law that if :>someone comes up behind you and flashes their lights, you HAVE to :>pull over and let them pass. :>Dave in Fairfax : And in Oregon it's against the law to flash your lights at someone to : either get them to move over or to get them to dim their lights.
Now that's a stupid law!
On Mon, 19 Apr 2004 14:32:23 +0000 (UTC), snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

As I understand it, the law was enacted to prevent people from flashing their lights to warn oncoming motorists of a speed trap - the other things are just side effects of badly written legislation.
I might add that I don't think it is actually enforced, either.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

And here in Illinois, we just enacted a law that makes it illegal to drive in the left lane unless you're actually passing someone.
todd
Tim Douglass responds:

There are literally thousands of these asinine laws on the books, some funny, most just moronic...but capable of great twisting at the hands of authorities who lack moral tone. Such laws should automatically be phased out after xxx years. Maybe 5?
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

... and some that downright hurt. The appraisal on my residence for 04 just jumped $44K in the 6 weeks since the market value was agreed upon, after protest, for the year 03 ... simply because the law allows them to automatically increase valuation for tax purposes by 10% per year without regard to reason.
I am now almost afraid to go down to the appraisal district's eight story, tax payer built, Taj Mahal and argue with the bastards again ... I stand a good chance of ending up in jail this time.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

Yeah. There is no such thing as property ownership. You just rent it...from your local government.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Yep ... and there are any number of law firms standing by to collect the principle, penalty and interest, for them.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 4/13/04

And with a pal standing there on the courthouse steps, to collect the property itself at maybe 5% of real value, if the penalty and interest aren't paid.
Charlie Self "Abstainer: a weak person who yields to the temptation of denying himself a pleasure." Ambrose Bierce

Maybe the appraiser looked in the winders and saw that Stickley 708??? :)
Sucks if you plan on living there for a while. Not so sucky if you're selling, I guess.