OT - My best friend is gone...

Page 2 of 2

[snip]

Greg,
Sorry for your loss, but as painful as these decisions are, it sounds like you made the best one.
We had to have our big guy put down about a while back. It was a decision we struggled with for a long time. He had cancer in one kidney - we had that one removed. The vet said we might have another 6 months with him; we were lucky, it was well over a year. He finally started getting agressive, too.
We'd lost pets in the past, suddenly; but this was a whole different level of difficult. In talking to the vet once, about "the right time", she made a comment that really helped. Her analogy was "How do you know when you're going to fall in love?" - you don't -- it's just something you *know*; it sounds like you knew this was the right time.
Again, you have my sincere condolences.
--
Regards,

JT
Speaking only for myself....

for my extended family (they do become your family after all is said and done) five times for dogs and four times for cats (All adopted from shelters). I can tell you that it never gets easy even when you have them 17 or 18 years. But time will heal the sorrow and make room in the heart for more love that can be achived with bringing home a new family member to help with teaching your child about unconditional love. Larry (proud father of three adopted woofers and devoted slave to four of the purring persuasion)
Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.
All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.
You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.
Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....
Author unknown...
Dammit, Clay. I knew it was coming, but that thing gets me every time. Clay wrote: <snip Rainbow Bridge>