OT: music list

Page 2 of 2

I don't know a couple of the above, but will add:
Mary Gauthier - Drag Queens in Limousines Lyl Lovett - Live in Texas The Arrogant Worms - Live Bait Ten Years After - Essential Spamalot - Original Cast Recording Sonny Stitt - Stitt Plays Bird Mojo Nixon - Bo-Day-Shus!!! Mike Morgan & the Crawl - I Like The Way You Work It Robert Plant & Alison Krauss - Raising Sand
http://improve-usenet.org /
✖
On Mar 20, 4:57 pm, Dave Balderstone
Say what? That sounds intriguing. (Can't be bad..nonono...no way.)
Add pictures here
✖

Hah!
I haven't run into any Mojo Nixon fans in ages. Don't know how anyone could NOT like classic songs like "tie my pecker to my leg"? :-)
Good selection, all of that.
Add pictures here
✖

Not a miss on this list. 'cept I don't know > Ingrid Karklins - A Darker Passion, but I'm sure to go dig it up.
Arcade Fire is one of my favourites for a long time now. Lanois rules!
Add pictures here
✖

Funny story on that album - saw it in a used music store I used to frequent. It was there every week, with a really cool and sensual cover, and every week my buddy and I wondered about it. After about two years, it dissappeared, but the cover stuck with me. A further year passed, and the album reappeared in the store! I grabbed it on a whim, and discovered some really good music. Fairly percussive ummm... 'esoteric folk.' Apparently she gets mentioned on the Ecto mailing list (Kate Bush fans, talking about Kate Bush-like music).

Discovered Arcade Fire through a fairly silly webcomic (questionablecontent.net). It was good to see modern rock music being made that didn't suck.
Colin
Add pictures here
✖

After I posted this, I remember a book I read, one of the Prey series.
Anyway, throughout the story, the main character (Lucas Davenport) was trying to distill his mp3 down to the top 100 rock songs. Here's his list:
In no particular order, except that, as any intelligent person knows, any decent road trip will start with ZZ Top.
1. ZZ Top, "Sharp-Dressed Man"
2. ZZ Top, "Legs"
3. Wilson Pickett, "Mustang Sally"
4. Crash Test Dummies, "Superman's Song"
5. David Essex, "Rock On"
6. Golden Earring, "Radar Love"
7. Blondie, "Heart of Glass"
8. Jefferson Airplane, "White Rabbit"
9. Jefferson Airplane, "Somebody to Love"
10. Derek and the Dominoes, "Layla"
11. Doors, "Roadhouse Blues"
12. Animals, "House of the Rising Sun"
13. Aerosmith, "Sweet Emotion"
14. Aerosmith, "Dude (Looks Like a Lady)"
15. Bruce Springsteen, "Dancing in the Dark"
16. Bruce Springsteen, "Born to Run"
17. Bruce Springsteen, "Thunder Road"
18. Police, "Every Breath You Take"
19. Tom Waits, "Heart of Saturday Night"
20. Van Halen, "Hot for Teacher"
21. Who, "Won't Get Fooled Again"
22. Gipsy Kings, "Hotel California"
23. Tracy Chapman, "Give Me One Reason"
24. Creedence Clearwater Revival, "Down on the Corner"
25. Eagles, "Lyin' Eyes"
26. Eagles, "Life in the Fast Lane"
27. Dire Straits, "Skateaway"
28. Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers, "Mary Jane's Last Dance"
29. Janis Joplin, "Me 'n Bobby McGee"
30. The Doobie Brothers, "Black Water"
31. Joan Jett and the Blackhearts, "I Love Rock 'n Roll"
22. John Mellencamp, "Jack and Diane"
33. Pink Floyd, "Another Brick in the Wall (Part 2)"
34. Pink Floyd, "Money"
35. Billy Joel, "Piano Man"
36. Eric Clapton, "After Midnight"
37. Eric Clapton, "Lay Down Sally"
38. AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long"
39. AC/DC, "Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap"
40. The Hollies, "Long Cool Woman (in a Black Dress)"
41. Bob Dylan, "Like a Rolling Stone"
42. Bob Dylan, "Knockin' on Heaven's Door"
43. Bob Dylan, "Subterranean Homesick Blues"
44. The Rolling Stones, "Satisfaction"
45. The Rolling Stones, "Brown Sugar"
46. The Rolling Stones, "Sympathy for the Devil"
47. Sex Pistols, "Anarchy in the UK"
48. Grateful Dead, "Sugar Magnolia"
49. The Pointer Sisters, "Slow Hand"
50. Eurythmics, "Sweet Dreams (Are Made of This)"
51. Elvis Presley, "Jailhouse Rock"
52. David Bowie, "Ziggy Stardust"
53. Bob Seger, "Night Moves"
54. The Everly Brothers, "Bye Bye Love"
55. Jimi Hendrix, "Purple Haze"
56. The Kinks, "Lola"
57. Jackson Browne, "Tender is the Night"
58. The Kingsmen, "Louie Louie"
59. George Thorogood and the Destroyers, "Bad to the Bone"
60. Metallica, "Turn the Page"
61. Lynryd Skynyrd, "Sweet Home Alabama"
62. Queen, "We Will Rock You"
63. The Allman Brothers Band, "Ramblin' Man"
64. Led Zeppelin, "Rock 'n Roll"
65. Tina Turner, "What's Love Got to Do With It"
66. Steppenwolf, "Born to Be Wild"
67. U2, "With or Without You"
68. Black Sabbath, "Paranoid"
69. Foreigner, "Blue Morning, Blue Day"
70. Billy Idol, "White Wedding"
71. Guns 'n Roses, "Sweet Child o' Mine"
72. Guns 'n Roses, "Paradise City"
73. Guns 'n Roses, " Knockin' on Heaven's Door"*
74. Lou Reed, "Walk on the Wild Side"
75. Bad Company, "Feel Like Makin' Love"
76. Def Leppard, "Rock of Ages"
77. Van Morrison, "Brown Eyed Girl"
78. Mitch Ryder and the Detroit Wheels, "Devil With a Blue Dress On"
79. Aretha Franklin, "Respect"
80. John Lee Hooker and Bonnie Raitt, "I'm in the Mood"
81. James Brown, "I Got You (I Feel Good)"
82. The Righteous Brothers, "Unchained Melody"
83. Prince, "Little Red Corvette"
84. Chuck Berry, "Roll Over Beethoven"
85. The Byrds, "Mr. Tambourine Man"
86. Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young, "Ohio"
87. Buddy Holly, "Peggy Sue"
88. Jerry Lee Lewis, "Great Balls of Fire"
89. Roy Orbison, "Oh, Pretty Woman"
90. Del Shannon, "Runaway"
91. Run-DMC, "Walk This Way"
92. Otis Redding, " (Sittin' on) the Dock of the Bay"
93. Nirvana, "Smells Like Teen Spirit"
94. Paul Simon, "Still Crazy After All These Years"
95. Bo Diddley, "Who Do You Love? "
96. Brewer and Shipley, "One Toke Over the Line"
97. Ramones, "I Wanna Be Sedated"
98. The Clash, "Should I Stay or Should I Go"
99. Talking Heads, "Burning Down the House"
100. Dmitri Shostakovich, "Jazz Suite No. 2: Waltz 2"
Add pictures here
✖

You have ANY idea how Disco all this is?
Add pictures here
✖

Lemme rephrase this... somebody got a bad bag of weed.
Add pictures here
✖
joe wrote:

Oh well, OK. Today it's been: Cal Tjader: Latin Kick Sacred Treasures, a collection of sacred Russian choral pieces (incl Rachmaninov, Bortniansky, Kedrov, and others) ZZ Top: Recycler Merle Haggard: 2 from a 4 CD set entitled "Down Every Road"
and on and on. Whatever mood you're in and whatever mood you want to be in. I like individual artists as opposed to a type such as classical or rock. That said, I don't care for many of the grand opera offerings and new stuff (not a rehash of something from 30 - 40 years ago) in rock is scarce. I head mainly for some older stuff like Ella Fitz, Fletcher Henderson, Boswell sisters, Chuck Berry, Beatles, old blues from anywhere, Gid Tanner and the Skillet Lickers (thought you'd love it), choral music, Bartok, Mozart, anybody named Hank (e.g. Williams I,II,or III, Snow, Thompson, etc), Buck is a good name, you get the picture. Used to get a great show on July 4th with the Boston Pops, fireworks, and 1812. Bahstuds moved it to network and presented some lesser known pop people. Sigh. I'll let you go now.     mahalo and keep the faith,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
✖
joe wrote:

As you have seen from all the replies you can load your iPod up with any genre you could possibly want. I have close to 2000 songs ranging from 40's Glen Miller to contemporary rock, country, blues etc. etc.
I really get a kick out of those "Music Lovers" who think you can only listen to whatever is Kewl.
You can also load up audiobooks. I got over thirty books on my iPod. Some I've listened to several times.
I walk with my dogs for two hours a day, I can listen to music or a book. I prefer listening to audiobooks when I'm driving for hours.
Of course some scoff at the idea of listing to audiobooks. There's those that won't even watch black and white movies.
What I've finally rediscovered is that there has never been a screen made that could match the visions that a good book can conjure up in your mind.
LdB
Add pictures here
✖

Right on! If it floats your boat.
Except Cher!
Add pictures here
✖

Audio books are sometimes better than movies.

Cassablanca Dr. Strangelove and so on and so on
I guess those people don't get to see good films then. In fact, a good black and white flick turns to colour in my mind. Therein lies the art.
Add pictures here
✖