OT: mouse problem

I need some help from the computer gurus of the group. I bought a 6' PS/2 mouse extension cable. Windows (98) came up and told me I had no mouse. Took the extension cable off. Mouse worked fine. Aha! I've got a bad cable.

Back to the shop. Got another cable. Tested it, with my mouse, on a machine in the shop. Worked fine. Went home. The $#%@! extension cable still didn't work.

Just in case MS was doing me in, I tried with Linux. Same result.

BTW, I've tried multiple times with both O/Ss, so it isn't just a one-time thing.

So I have a known good mouse, a known good cable, and I've proved it isn't the O/S. I'm stumped.

The only thing I can think of is that my CPU is sensitive to the cable length, but why? And it's only a 6' extension.

Any ideas, anyone?

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Now that I hadn't thought of. I've got a couple of new mice around somewhere, I'll dig one out in the nea future and give it a try. Thanks.

BTW, the extension cable oks fine for the keyboard. I shouod have tried that yesterday before I took the 1st one back to th store.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

No, but I plugged the cable, connected to my mouse, into a computer at the store and it worked fine. It also works as an extension cable or the keyboard. Just won't work on the mouse port.

I can live with it. I just have o un the mouse cable off the front of the desk, instead of aound the back.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

Larry:

Just kinda guessing here, but I think you're right that the length of the cable is the problem. The mouse communicates with the computer via electrical signals, and my guess is that the cable is long enough that the signal decays slightly, just enough that the 'puter can't properly interpret the signal.

You should maybe look > I need some help from the computer gurus of the group. I bought a 6'

Reply to
jimjonesWRS

Most likely its that the voltage on the PS/2 port is low.

Reply to
no(SPAM)vasys

Well... I have regularly used 10 to 20 foot ps2 extension cables for mice and keyboards, so it is possible. But like others have said, you're apparently on the edge of the limit for your hardware on your home system.

Could you try switching the home and shop computers? -- that is,m if they're both yours.

There are devices that are active extenders for keyboard, mouse, and monitor, but they can cost as much as a complete basic computer nowadays. That seems to be the problem with most of the solutions I can think of.

There is a device called "Y-Mouse" that is used to couple two active mice to one PS2 port. It has an additional cable that plugs into the keyboard connector to grab some more power. Don't know if they still make 'em, but you might look.

You also might try switching the mouse and keyboard connections. I have one that has two connectors, but it doesn't care what's connected where. Might be worth a try.

Buy a new mouse with a longer cable?

Or, find an old serial mouse?

Running out of suggestions...

"Chip" in Columbus

Reply to
Chip Chester

Get a Microsoft wireless optical mouse. No problems.

Now, back to woodworking ....

Reply to
Guess who

Not unusual as indicated by others, the cable length may weaken the signal, so to speak. I know that years ago that a parallel printer cable could be too long.

Reply to
Leon

On Mon, 28 Nov 2005 19:47:06 -0500, with neither quill nor qualm, "no(SPAM)vasys" quickly quoth:

(You've done pin-to-pin continuity tests on the cable in question, Larry?)

I'll ditto that. The mouse driver circuit is likely SNAFU. (I don't believe they ever made null mouse cables. ;) (Waitaminute, these weren't Microsoft cables, were they? All bets are off then. Those guys don't play by standard or any known rules of engagement.)

--- - Sarcasm is just one more service we offer. -

Web Applications

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Larry, USB port with an adaptor/ most ps2 mice can be used on either bus. It still may be the mouse that's sensitive. I would borrow a mouse just to make sure. Then if your mouse is good, I would check the model number and make sure it can be used on the USB port. Then head on down and buy an adaptor. Man, that does sound like a lot of work!

If you get a new mouse, I have found USB optical to be the most reliable.You can run a cable up 15 feet without boosting it.

Reply to
amazed