OT: Motorheads. (Leon?)

Maybe the tax agents are more diligent in heavy agricultural areas. A lot of farmers who run diesel equipment will buy off-road (red dyed) fuel in bulk sans fuel tax. It's awfully tempting to pull the diesel truck up to the farm tank and fill-er-up with the cheaper fuel. Just don't get caught with red fuel in an over-the-road vehicle. The authorities tend to get nasty about it.
Hard to enforce, 'though. Don't recall ever seeing a checkpoint with a cop dipsticking diesel vehicles to see if the fuel was red. Maybe there's a "probable cause" search aspect there. But I have been through driver's license/DUI checkpoints and it seems that would be much the same. Maybe an ROI thing.
On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:58:38 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

Actually, there tough on that here, as well! My BIL owns a farm and my buddy is a heating oil dealer. Both get sticked on a regular basis. In the case of the fuel oil guy, he's had DMV people stop his trucks, and they've visited his truck yard in person. The farmer has been sticked at agricultural auctions and fairs, but never on the road or at the farm.
Our DMV has also been known to stop trailered construction equipment to stick the tow vehicle.
Bio-diesel has no dye, so... But the car does smell like fries! <G>

Easily offset by adding a little oil of primrose or raspberry nectar. Salt and vinegar are optional.
Somehow, I can't get my head around feeding a 50,000 dollar Benz vegetable oil. Next thing we know, PETA is wanting to replace the seats with wicker. It is smart to mind the environment, but I like twin turbos and Sunoco 94 with octane booster. IOW.. stay the hell out of my car. I still think diesels are cool. I'd like a diesel Harley. WTF not? They're having some serious image problems already.
On Sun, 20 May 2007 15:58:38 -0500, Tom Veatch wrote:

Pretty common in rural parts of the UK or Ireland. They catch a fair few too. Remember that we pay nearly $2 / litre for road fuel.
About 10 years ago they stopped selling red petrol, supposedly because of lack of demand, but actually because of pressure to avoid this tax dodging.

Pretty cool, almost surprised that it was not in the W12 configuration however that probably would not have left enough mass in the block to hold up as a diesel. Thanks for sharing.

They're re-thinking the push on that W-12 concept. The buying public if afraid of its complexities. Besides, it doesn't do much that a well- designed V-8 won't do.
BTW... a fellow who had his (early 70-s) Buick GS 454 ci sniffed at the polution control check-up found his was running cleaner than most of the new-fangled cars. Go figgur.

The big advantage to to the W8 over a V8 is that it is pretty compact and fits into a smaller space. IIRC some of the VW Passats had W8's

That is something to think about alright. LOL.. Probably running very lean.