OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

Page 7 of 7

It always amazes me when a rider loses his bike in Formula style road racing.. at well over 100 MPH in most cases, takes a skid on the tarmac, stands up, dusts himself off, walks over to the bike, gives it a kick in frustration and walks back to the pit lane.
It's all about the leathers and being in good shape.
It makes me sick to see a young couple on a crotch-rocket blowing by me at insane speeds wearing nothing but t-shirts, shorts and sneakers.... then again, somebody will make good use of the internal organs.
If it's at all like automobiles, the bags are not very effective without the use of a seatbelt to hold the driver in a position where his forward momentum will be directed toward the bag. On a bike without a belt, I would think the bag would just be something to bounce off as you fly through the air.
Art
David wrote:

The world _does_ need organ donors, and young healthy male brain-dead M/C crash victims usually have healthy organs. I don't care if you don't want to wear a helmet, but sign the back of your drivers license, OK?

Hear hear! Mobile organ donors. Though that type tends to ride the crotch rockets, where the bag would be ineffective.
I think the sensor -rating program would be a bit difficult with this kind of thing. Motorcycle geometry, except on the purely cushy road models, would have to make the decision to deploy contingent on at least three or four factors, rather than simple deceleration and impact sensors.
Would be sort of nice to have a belly bag on snowmobiles, though. Bellies full of burgers and beer impacting the handlebars make for a lot of peritonitis.

Might be the wrong attitude for an EMT to have, but there it is. I gotta be me, y'know?

Technical impossibility never stopped brain-dead lawmakers from mandating things though, _especially_ in the Peoples' Republic of California.

One of our firefighters left the sled, slid face-first across the field, and impacted a rock with her elbow. The ortho guy described it as "You know, when you finish a bag of potato chips, the crumbs left in the bottom of the bag? That's what your bone in your elbow look like right now".
says...

My bike is 27 years old. Guess I'll keep it a while longer.
--
BNSF = Build Now, Seep Forever

lgb wrote:

Modern bike! Mine was built in '52, though I won't ride it on road being a hardtail track/road bike
Innovation.
Check out side-impact "curtain" airbags on Volvo's new convertible:
http://www.swedespeed.com/news/publish/Volvo_News/article_597.html
TheNewGuy wrote:

looks useful for sleeping, if they'd stay deployed long enough for a catnap. :)
dave

Airbags aside, that doesn't look to shabby, for a Volvo. (We're boxy, but good). Kind of a slick-looking car.