OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

Heh.. There's no trouble understanding the detail, i was just finding it harder and harder to agree with you. Anyway... I'm still not ready to close my mind to the possibilities, seems like you have. Peace~

hoot.

Reply to
hoot

On 9/19/2005 6:29 AM hoot mumbled something about the following:

I haven't closed my mind to the possibilities, I'm just VERY VERY skeptical.

Reply to
Odinn

On 9/19/2005 1:25 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

Having my hands knocked from a steering wheel in a car is easier to recover from and prevent a crash than having my hands knocked from the handlebars of a bike.

I do have fear of driving a motorcycle, because I DO KNOW how it works, but I know my risks and am willing to accept those risks. You have some screwed up ideas about what you think I know and fear or do not fear.

Reply to
Odinn

And just how exactly do you know that an airbag for a bike is going to knock your hands from the handlebars? For all you know, it might be designed to inflate above the handle bars slowing someone who is in the initial stages of becoming airborne. If the front wheel of a bike hits something, the rear wheel tends to rise resulting in the driver being thrown over the handle bars. Your words.

You're projecting all sorts of visions on what you "think" might happen without a shred of knowledge on how it's designed to work. Very close minded of you sir. Obviously, my reasoning isn't going to sway you one bit. So, if you've got a response, go ahead and make it. I won't be replying any further.

Have a good day.

Reply to
Upscale

I disagree. Moreover I would be surprised if it is anything but trivial to guarantee the geometry of the expansion of the airbag.

You're assuming the rider will be catapulted over the top of what the motorcycle hits. How about being catapulted _into it_? Better to do a faceplant into an SUV, van, truck, bus, trailer, jersey wall telephone pole or bridge abutment without an airbag inbetween or not?

You're right, I've never seen a motorcycle collide with a car. I have only heard one description of an accident like that from one witness. The rider was catapulted over the car and suffered a traumatic amputation of one leg by a stop sign.

The airbag would not interfere with that either.

Have you ever heard of an airbag deploying other than in a collision? Please be specific.

Reply to
fredfighter

Hogwash. The difference in friction between miscellaneous bits of metal and the road versus the rider and the road is what counts. Once again, getting off the bike (pushing away and decelerating) is not to avoid accident, merely the kind of injury involved with getting entangled in the bike when an accident is unavoidable.

Reply to
George

On 9/19/2005 8:24 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

I don't know that an airbag is going to knock my hands off. I said it is a possibility if it goes off askew. Doing so in a non-accident would cause an accident in itself.

No, I'm looking at possibilities of what can go wrong. If we never looked at what could go wrong when something is designed, then we aren't doing our job for safety. Personally, I could care less if you don't reply, you've already closed your mind to the possibility of there being bad designs.

I do, every day, I ride my motorcycle.

Reply to
Odinn

Then be surprised. Look at any highspeed video of an airbag deploying.

No, I'm not assuming anything, I said that being held onto the bike is probably more dangerous than being catapulted over. You need a lesson in reading comprehension.

Not only have I seen a motorcycle collide with a car, I've gone head on with a car in 1988. The motorcycle was buried into the hood, totalling the car, I was thrown free of the car. Had I stayed with the motorcycle, I probably would have lost both legs below the knees. In the case where I saw a motorcycle hit the side of a car that had ran a red light, the rider was thrown over the car, the motorcycle was in completely in the back seat of the car, killing the passenger in the back seat.

I didn't say an airbag would interfer. You really need to learn how to read.

Yes, I have heard of an airbag deploying when not in a collision. One when a car hit a large pothole on a hiway, another when hitting a set of railroad tracks. I've also seen it happen in a police chase video when someone trying to outrun the cops hit a bad dip in the road (not saying the suspect didn't deserve it, but it wasn't a crash when it deployed).

Reply to
Odinn

I hope you never ride a motorcycle, because you are dangerous to yourself and others.

Reply to
Odinn

Having done that, I cannot recall ever seeing one blow out sideways and then straighten out. Regardless, I daresay the collison of tire with whatever the bike has run into will likely moot the issue of holding onto the grips.

If you are not assuming anything you cannot logically reach any conclusion.

My supposition, at least, was consistent with your remarks.

I never said you said that an airbag would interfere. You really need to learn how to read.

I've heard of the (or a, if more than one) railroad track case. Not having seen the tracks, it is unclear if that was a crash prior to deployment. Some railroad tracks are nasty enough that crossing them at high speed will damage the front end so badly as to make it impossible to maintain control. For all I know he same may have been true of the pothole. The point being that improper deloyment is so rare as to not be much of an issue for cars. I'm not clear on how many GoldWings are driven hard over curbs and the like, so it may be more of an issue with motorcycles than with cars.

The kinds of accidents you describe seem to be more germaine. Honda claims, IIRC that the GoldWing airbag is only effective below about 35 mph. I dunno what happens above that speed, maybe the rider catapults over the handlebars.

Reply to
fredfighter