OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

Page 3 of 7

Falling isn't the problem. Landing is.

My father in law refused to wear seat belts. He always said that, in an accident, he would rather be thrown clear than stay with the car. He was fortunate to have never had to test his theory.
Being ejected AWAY from the bike was MUCH safer than being

CW wrote:

I'll unequivocally stated that being OFF a motorcycle that goes down is far better than being ON one. That doesn't include high-siding, of course, but if you were belted to a bike and went down at road speeds--say 75 or 80 mph on some Interstates--the bike would slap you to death quickly, ro slide along and do a friction amputation of your leg and anything else caught underneath. Get off it, let it go (hell, hang on if you want: I did a couple times off-road), hope the guy behind you sees you and can stop in time.
This was simply an illustration of someone discounting a safety device due to ignorance, not a call for seat belts on a motorcycle.

No, it doesn't. They're not that big. They slow your forward progress so your face doesn't impact hard things.

No, it doesn't. They deflate instantly, there are huge vents in the backs of the bags. I've seen dozens of them over the years as an EMT, they don't pin anything to anywhere.

Because, they'd use exactly the same bags as in a car, is that it?
Dave Hinz wrote:

So many people have seen "Vacation", they think a deployed air bag stays inflated. :)
Dave

Or don't think that hitting the bag or the bag hitting them is the same as any other obstacle unless the bag were already soft and deflating on impact.
The technology of an air bag is complex. Fast enough to catch, soft enough to cushion, but slow enough in deflation to protect the average individual....
George wrote:

I've laid bikes down, usually with nothing more than bruises. The one crash I did have was in the woods, where a kid was doing donuts in the middle of the trail, after a drop off (blind) jump. He hit me head on. I rose up under the crossbar braced handlebars, and whanged my thighs hard enough to tear the ligaments on both sides of my groin.
That's it for my experience with a motorcycle head-on, for which I'm grateful (I had the torn ligaments, the kid had a broken leg). I cannot see how an airbag will work properly in a great many conditions, though, as there must be some protection (force?) downward to maintain a seat on the bike, which, after impact will be toppling to one side or another, at whatever speed remains.
That leaves the rider, and any passenger, open to the joys of having a 700-900 pound motorcycle topple on him, which I guess is a possiblity anyway. In a couple of instances, I laid the bike down on the pavement, and let it slide away from me--but I never rode a Hardly Ableson or any of those half ton monsters where not getting out from under means auto-amputation.
It should be interesting. I would bet it comes out as an option, which means it is almost certain to die the same death that seatbelts did in '57 Fords.

they showed crash pictures of this on the news last night.
it's not an option. will be on all goldwings next year. inflated, it appears to be shaped in such a way that you aren't launched over it, but held sort of under an edge of it. it's only good in up to 31 mph crash. it will only be useful in a head-on collision where you're still vertical (ie left turners in front of you) which are the majority of highway accidents the last time i looked. if you're struck anywhere else besides the front wheel or you hit something not head on, or the bike is on it's side before you hit, it would appear to be pretty useless.
regards, charlie cave creek, az
Charles Spitzer wrote:

Side air curtains will be on the next generation. :)
Dave

I was the first car in line at a red light as some clown (coming from my right attempting to turn into my street) turned in front of a minivan which promptly t-boned the idiot. Right in front of me, I saw the van's passenger-side bag explode in the old lady's face and it was gone again that same fraction of a second. The driver's bag..I guess same deal, because I never saw it at all, but did see the slack bit of cloth hanging from her steering wheel... Broken collar bone, thassall. The car which turned in front of the van was full of teen-age school kids. 7 of them in a K-car. No bags. Lots of bruises, 5 were wearing belts, the other two used the other 5 as bags, I guess. Remarkable little damage.

I have no idea. Maybe, some engineer has a sense of humour and designs one that looks like a fist? A fly-swatter? A boxing glove?
Work with me here, Dave...

I'm tryin, baby, I really am. There are reasons that airbags aren't perfect, but the ones you cited aren't realistic.

It is SO like YOU to bring reality into the mix.

How about a big catchers mitt.
--
Archangel - Jack of all trades, mastering some...

Archangel & RavenSky's personal pages:

Sorry, man. I tend to be like that, which annoys my boss and coworkers too, believe me.

I know the feeling... I hear the whisper "what a picky sunnuvabitch" behind me quite often; the price you pay if you want attention to detail.

What the rider needs is "airbag leathers" When they depart the bike at speed, their leathers inflate, like the inflatable airbags used to bounce pathfinder across mars during landing. A few bounces and the rider comes to a stop and punctures the airbag. Of course, even an airbag might not help if there is a brick wall coming at the rider at 60MPH.
Might be a pretty hefty set of leathers, however.
scott

Been done, been talked about. Read the whole thread.

Zero-Zero ejection seat. Module in automobiles....