OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

never thought I live to see the day. I've joked in the past that some day they'll have airbags for motorcycles. That day is soon upon us--early next year according to Honda.

Dave

Reply to
David

I saw that too.

I guess Honda wants to still be able to sell motorcycles in California next year. ;~)

Reply to
Leon

pedestrians will be next, Leon.

Dave

Reply to
David

The toe activated neck-tie airbag?

-Brian

Reply to
Cherokee-Ltd

Not a particularly new idea. Some senator proposed seat belts be required for motorcycles about 30 years ago. I guess this is for those who don't like seat belts.

Reply to
Charlie Self

This isn't even just an idea; it's an implementation. First the SawStop; now the Honda m/c airbags. It's a wonder we are allowed to sleep on beds more than 4 inches off the floor. and bunk beds! Now THOSE are safety hazards. One of my cousins got knocked out cold, falling out of a bunk bed.

Dave

Reply to
David

TRL England made them in the 80's to see if it would work...

Reply to
Badger

The Yugoslavian carmaker Yugo developed an airbag for a motorcycle some 25 years ago. But just like their car version, you had to blow it up yourself.

Reply to
Robatoy

I can see them having some value in certain type of accidents. For sudden bike stops like smashing into another car, if it stops the rider from flying

100 feet through the air, then it would be a benefit. Can't see how it being much of help with skids though.

Of course, even though I'm not a motorcycle addict, I can see an air bag as lowering a bike rider's machismo.

Reply to
Upscale

An airbag deploying at the wrong time is going to lower more than the rider's machismo level. I'm not at all sure that there is enough restraint possible evenin a head-on to provide an acceptable cushion...the rider is as likely to go backwards from the airbag's deployment, or be knocked sideways...or any of a half dozen unneeded actions.

Reply to
Charlie Self

To be honest I cannot see any usefulness in this at all. It might be even more dangerous, as to throw the victim of the bike.

I would take bets on this thing going south on them. Class action comes to mind. It might even effect sales of the Goldwing model. Next years sales will tell us.

Reply to
Chris

Sure, all of that could happen and more. I know all sorts of "but what if's" were voiced during the original implementation of air bags for cars, but here we are today. I'm sure that Honda has put quite a bit of research into this, it's highly unlikely it's just a spur of the moment addition, so there has to be some practical reasoning somewhere. It might well bomb out even before it begins, but if there is even a shred of benefit just like there has been with cars, then I believe it's worth exploring. Only people that might lose out are recipients in need of organ donation.

It doesn't take an expert to know that the vast majority of motorcycle deaths are the result of someone flying through the air and hitting the ground, hard. If that can be curtailed or minimized in some way, then I can envision more people surviving.

Reply to
Upscale

It's likely that the air bag will help in slow moving accidents. Air bags in cars keep you from hitting something else that will stop you, the steering wheel or dash. On a bike a higher speed crash will still likely throw you up as you deflect off of the air bag. The bikes rear wheel raise pretty high off the ground when the front end stops instantly.

Reply to
Leon

Sell this feature on bikes to people who won't wear helmets? Where's the logic to that?

Art

David wrote:

Reply to
Art and Diane

It's a passive restraint. Actually, there IS logic in that. Riders without helmets are in more need of a cushion during an accident.

dave

Reply to
David

Heh.

How do you double the value of a Yugo?

Put a jug of milk in the back seat.

;-)

Reply to
Dave Balderstone

My bike is 27 years old. Guess I'll keep it a while longer.

Reply to
lgb

The world _does_ need organ donors, and young healthy male brain-dead M/C crash victims usually have healthy organs. I don't care if you don't want to wear a helmet, but sign the back of your drivers license, OK?

Reply to
Dave Hinz

Powerful stuff. Thanks a bunch for that.

Reply to
Robatoy

Well, did it work? Or did Lucas do the ignitors? :-) [former owner of a British Sterling automobile]

Mark & Juanita