OT: Motorcycle AIRBAGS???? Believe it or not!

Page 1 of 7

http://news.com.com/2061-10801_3-5855018.html?part=rss&tagX55018&subj=news
I never thought I live to see the day. I've joked in the past that some day they'll have airbags for motorcycles. That day is soon upon us--early next year according to Honda.
Dave

I saw that too.
I guess Honda wants to still be able to sell motorcycles in California next year. ;~)
Leon wrote:

Dave
The toe activated neck-tie airbag? -Brian

[snipperized for brevity]

<G>... side curtains on your Foster Grants?

Not directly related, but see: <http://www.hsegroup.com/hse/text/cowboy.htm
Robert Bonomi wrote:

Dave

I can see them having some value in certain type of accidents. For sudden bike stops like smashing into another car, if it stops the rider from flying 100 feet through the air, then it would be a benefit. Can't see how it being much of help with skids though.
Of course, even though I'm not a motorcycle addict, I can see an air bag as lowering a bike rider's machismo.
Upscale wrote:

An airbag deploying at the wrong time is going to lower more than the rider's machismo level. I'm not at all sure that there is enough restraint possible evenin a head-on to provide an acceptable cushion...the rider is as likely to go backwards from the airbag's deployment, or be knocked sideways...or any of a half dozen unneeded actions.

Sure, all of that could happen and more. I know all sorts of "but what if's" were voiced during the original implementation of air bags for cars, but here we are today. I'm sure that Honda has put quite a bit of research into this, it's highly unlikely it's just a spur of the moment addition, so there has to be some practical reasoning somewhere. It might well bomb out even before it begins, but if there is even a shred of benefit just like there has been with cars, then I believe it's worth exploring. Only people that might lose out are recipients in need of organ donation.
It doesn't take an expert to know that the vast majority of motorcycle deaths are the result of someone flying through the air and hitting the ground, hard. If that can be curtailed or minimized in some way, then I can envision more people surviving.

Call me cynical, but I think it has more to do with marketing than safety. From a practical standpoint, its effectiveness would appear, to me, limited to a narrow range of incidents. Mr. Self made an interesting point. That bag, in a car, slams you to the back of the seat, pinning you down. With no back, it might just knock me AND my cooler off the bike!

Interesting side thought here. Assume driver is carrying a rider behind him and airbag goes off, what are the ripple effects upon the rider and subsequent effect upon the driver?
What's next--seat belts?
What's next--seat belts?
On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 22:47:16 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (George G) wrote:

Back in the '80s, some company introduced a suit to be worn by the rider that would inflate like the old Mae West life vests in the event of a get-off. The suit's inflation mechanism was activated by a lanyard that the rider attached to the frame of the bike. I still laugh at the thought of the Michelin Man bouncing down the road, or the look on the rider's face if he forgot to disconnect the lanyard at his destination. The suit apparently didn't catch on.

Maybe not for motorcycles, but hasn't NASA developed similar protection for its Mars landing? The technology is there, just hasn't filtered down yet to the person on the donercycle.
Upscale wrote:

Yep. I've blanked on the names of the lander and the explorer robot, but the landing craft was slowed by a 'chute, had about 20 airbags deploy, the 'chute let go and it bounced and rolled to a stop.
-j

What if his passengers happens to his 350 pound sweetie? He'd be ping-ponging for a while, eh?
Hehehehe.. the word 'ripple' just set me off.

Maybe, but lets face it, something will have happened for the air bag to go off. If the bike is moving at the time, I'd rather be knocked off in any direction except for flying forwards. No way in hell an expanding air bag is going to knock you 100 feet in any direction which is entirely possible with a forwards ejection.
On 9/9/2005 3:40 AM Upscale mumbled something about the following:

accident.
--
Odinn
RCOS #7