OT: More weather

Page 1 of 2
I am now officially ready for a couple of days of sunshine or maybe partly cloudy? At least no rain? Saturday morning saw about three feet of snow on the ground (snow, Larry). Then it started to rain. Power went out at about 3pm Saturday and back on at 6 (shortly after I had started the generator). We are "enjoying" a phenomenon called the "pineapple express" which consists of subtropical moisture pushed onshore by a low pressure area moving in from Alaska. We are getting rain at rates up to 1" per hour. Perhaps half the snow has melted. Unhappily, temperatures are expected to drop tomorrow with the arrival of yet another low with its own moisture. Should turn the whole town into an ice rink.
The house next door is a "weekend" rental. This weekend there were perhaps 15 people there. Talked to a couple of them and it was obvious that they had never seen inclement weather like this. They seemed to have two sets of tire chains which they divided up among three cars (the one who got the extra was a 4wd Jeep who had one chain on the front and one on the back). They had wanted to bring their children on their first trip to the snow. Middle eastern accents all. The ground floor of their house flooded, toilet backed up, all in all a miserable time. I called the rental people (whom I know), explained the situation, and they got equipment in to pull the cars up to the road, get proper chains on and send them home. Hope the service was gratis.
Noticed that all roads out of the mountain communities are now closed. Hope those folks made it out of here ok.     mahalo,     captain cozy
Add pictures here
βœ–
Mon, Jan 10, 2005, 2:40am (EST+5) snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (jo4hn) I am now officially ready <snip>
Damn, thought we had it bad - supposed to have only gotten up to 61 today. But, the bright side is, I have a Calvin and Hobbs book of cartoons to look at. Hehehe
JOAT Success is getting what you want. Happiness is wanting what you get. -  Dale Carnegie
Add pictures here
βœ–

I feel your pain, it's been 82.4 here nearly all week, we need a change too!
BTW, what's "snow"?
<GD&R>
Groggy
Add pictures here
βœ–

Latest in - tomorrow will be 98.6, hooray, I can finally take the jumper off!
Grogs
Add pictures here
βœ–
Groggy wrote:

I think you need a good beating. ;-) Maggy and I are doing a cruise (Oz and NZ) in mid February. Nice way to see some of the sights and get the lay of the land. And to thaw out.     mahalo,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
βœ–

Although it has been a cool summer so far, mid Feb is normally peak summer heat here. Are you coming to Melbourne by any chance?
Grogs
Add pictures here
βœ–
Groggy wrote:

Will be in Melbourne on Feb 13.     j4
Add pictures here
βœ–

Starting the end of January I will be commuting 100 miles to work and only returning on weekends. Since the 13th is a Sunday there may be a chance to hook up to say g'day. Ping me at snipped-for-privacy@millen.com a bit closer to the day and we'll see if we can meet, I'd look forward to that.
cheers,
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 05:44:31 +0000, Groggy wrote:

That's 37 degrees Celsius! Well it's 38 here in Whitehorse right now. Below zero, of course.
Ackshally, 37 is too hot. I'd rather have the 38 below as it's a lot easier to get warm than to cool down. All you need is a match and a supply of readily available wood (OBWW). OTOH, if your air conditioner goes on the fritz, you're toast (literally).
And you say Melbourne is the world's most livable city! No thanks.
I missed the earlier thread about snow in Texas around Christmas, but I have to say that we enjoyed unseasonably hot weather at that time. I think it went up to +12 (54 Fahrenheit, Keith), and they had to close down the Alaska Highway because it was too hot! (1)
Happy New Year everyone.
BTW, Grogs, the "hammuh" is starting to happen & my guilt starting to lessen.
Luigi replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
(1) Warm air and precipitation on the cold frozen ground resulted in turning the highway into a skating rink.
Add pictures here
βœ–

Bwahaha!
G'day Luigi! Long time no read, I though maybe you and the permafrost had become one!
Good to read about the Hammuh, and, as for the temperature, anywhere you have to thaw the wood before cutting it - no thanks!
Hope to see you around a bit more,
cheers,
Groggy
Add pictures here
βœ–

Whitehorse, eh? I'm one of those crazy 'mericans that drove through there last July, even spent the night (if you want to call that midnight till something AM period "night"). Big city for that part of the world; I was a might pleased to see a WalMart at that point. I made it all the way up to that other "Horse", "Dead Horse, AK", 11000 mile round trip and that was with taking the ferry back to Washington state.
Add pictures here
βœ–
John Keeney wrote:

That's nearly half the circumference of the earth! It's only about 3,300 miles from Miami to Seattle. How long were you on that thing?
Add pictures here
βœ–

... and I'm sure we can return the favor about mid-July or August. (OTOH, here in Tucson, snow is a somewhat elusive animal even during the winter -- but it does get cold, we were close to freezing last week).
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 20:21:27 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Yes, it'll be down to about 50-60 deg then, Brrrrr....
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
.. snip

Is that the high or the low? If it's the high, then it sounds like your weather is close to ours -- if that's the low, then it sounds like you've got a good deal. ;-)
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Mon, 10 Jan 2005 22:10:28 -0700, Mark & Juanita

Low - Melbourne has been chosen as "the world's most liveable city" for a number of years running now.
Groggy
Add pictures here
βœ–

Well, that would certainly meet one of my criteria (no more freezing temperatures). Are you able to raise citrus trees since the weather is so temperate?
+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Add pictures here
βœ–
On Tue, 11 Jan 2005 21:15:26 -0700, Mark & Juanita

There are some Orange groves not far from here, also, within 10kms are some major market gardens.
Greg
Add pictures here
βœ–
I have good news and bad: the good is that it stopped raining (approximately 18 inches of RAIN at my house) and damage in our hamlet is minor. The bad is that the temperature went from 40dF to 20dF from 0600 to 1200 on Tuesday and it snowed a bit. More good: the newspaper fairy found a road open and delivered Monday and Tuesday's paper. Plus, I managed to chop enough snow to get the truck out again.
All the roads into the mountain communities are again blocked by landslide, avalanche, flooding, TV crews, and tornadoes. Sheesh. Maggy has decided that to bring some sense of normalcy, we need to throw GW Bush into a volcano.
Warmer tomorrow.
    keeping the faith,     jo4hn
Add pictures here
βœ–
jo4hn wrote:

Fine up to the last sentence...and I would have left it alone and thought only of the unfortunate weather pattern.
But, adding that makes me wonder why those who build on unstable hillsides (as those who build in flood plains, etc.) are surprised when they collapse? (And, after all, even several hundred years of weather records is a mere pittance when determining an empirical distribution of extremes...)
Add pictures here
βœ–