OT: Misc. Ramblings.

Page 6 of 6

Nope. If you thought life sucked; that would make you a lefty.

I didn't think that needed to be said. Of course it is better to stay healthy.
Now tell me this... why is all the good food so much more expensive? Simple stuff, like unsalted 'anything' costs more. Low fat costs more. 'FRESH' costs more (although that's pretty obvious.) I'm talking stuff like whole wheat pasta. WHY isn't there an incentive to keep the good food prices down.
In the long run, it would pay off if we taxed the hell out of stuff like Cheetos. Yet another reason why we should never legalise weed.

The bastards prey on fear a little (LOT) too much.

oh brother...
I'm going to pretend I didn't read that..8-}
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 11:42:24 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

Simply said volume driven by demand. When the demand for healthy choices drives greater volume the prices will come down. Demand will rise when parents don't feed their kids a steady diet of salt, sugar and processed foods, and you have a generation demanding healthier choices because their tastes have been developed to do so.
As an example, as a kid I remember growing up on white bread and then my mother going on a health kick and pushing whole wheat, higher fiber bread on us. We thought it was gastly. I had a piece of white bread the other day at function. Tasted like soggy cardboard. My tastes were altered to the healthier choice.
We pay the premium, buy the healthy stuff, believe it pays off, and look forward to the day the prices are lower.
Frank

I pay more than $1200/mo. for me and my college-age son and that's with $1000 deductible (each) and ZERO copay. Do you really think there's more than $14,000/yr. built into Robatoy's Canadian tax bill just to cover his universal health coverage? I would gladly ADD $7,500/yr. to my tax bill to get the health coverage Robby has.
Dave in Houston

.
That premium is way too high because: They never pay out on the bulk of basic visitations, i.e. cuts , colds etc. (deductable) They also never pay out on big bad cases, because they won't insure people with problems. They have a cap on pay-out.
I know there are differences between Plans and all that, but the premiums are just nuts. I have 3 nieces and a nephew in Kansas and Missouri. friends all over the US... and the story is the same. The insurance companies are out of control. They deny people's claims because "it was an act of God" in the same court that won't allow prayer in school and won't allow schools to teach creationism...yet there seems to be a God when it is time to pay out insurance. It's true.. HE blew down that building, but don't you DARE talk to Him in school.
The people, who wear tinfoil hats of a different metal than most normal people, who proclaim that free enterprise is just that, capitalists who can screw you blind because you're either sick, or so scared that you're going to lose everything in case you get sick, are themselves sick in a different way. I believe in capitalism. totally. If some idiot wants to pay me 2 times what a used Audi is worth, cool! If I work 16 hour days, to make good money...good for me.
Health care, including basic dental care and vision care should be managed by people with full accountability to the public who pay their salaries. And those who deny claims from the veterans should be shot. If you have two artificial mechanical limbs...and one is a bit newer or better...give it to the vet. I don't think anybody should begrudge them that.
*off the soap box, off to work, after I eat.*
r---> which stands fro Robert. People call me Rob.. unless they'rereally close and dare to call me Robbie and I 'let' them.
Dave in Houston wrote:

I'll add another piece to this.I have no intention of arguing which system is better, BTW. If, in reading this, you feel that you have to decry socialized medicine, feel free. I'm not going to debate you about it. Just a bit more information about the Canadian system.
10 years ago, SWMBO had a car accident. Rolled her vehicle into a ditch and hung upside down in her seatbelt till someone came along and she got carted off to the local hospital, and then on to a larger hospital once they determined she'd broken her neck.
Emergency, ambulance, Intensive care and follow-up for as long as she needed it was provided by the System. One of the things I'd like to see in this system is statement of accounts to see how much your care actually costs, but we don't get that. I don't know what the final tally was - likely in the order of $20,000. She paid $300 for her neck brace. She also pays daily with an injury that will never completely go away.
We make salaries that are supposedly taxed higher than our contemporaries in the US. In some ways that irks me, but if a good chunk of it goes to saving her life, I'm happy to spend that. I'm also happy that some of my health care dollars goes to improving the lives of seniors, cancer victims and a bunch of others who benefit from this system.
As Rob said, the majority of us here get the same care regardless of our position or status. (There are exceptions to that rule, but for the most part it's true)
Perfect? Far from it. It has holes you could drive a Mack truck through. But I prefer it to the alternative.
--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/
Robatoy wrote:

He's got a point, Rob. We do pay for medical care through our taxes. So, in effect, I helped to pay for your care and treatment.
And I wouldn't have it any other way.
--

Tanus

www.home.mycybernet.net/~waugh/shop/

If speed is an important consideration for you, then you might want to consider a pay service. I spend about $15.75 for unlimited downloading subscription to Agent Premium News. That gives me an average download speed of approximately 1,000k or 1 megabyte a second. Of course, whomever you have your original Internet connection with is important. I pay for $35.99 a month for DSL service from teksavvy.com.