OT: Misc. Ramblings.

Not in a Godforsaken wasteland like Sakatchewan. I'm just kidding, kinda. But nobody is fighting over such a thinly spread "mess of crumbs" as that "slice of the pie".

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 18:39:12 GMT, "Leon"

I don't necessarily think so. I ran a factory. About 300 employees and with families about 1000 covered souls. Self insured, that is, no insurance company involved. In cases like mine which is the predominate way employer based systems work, you contract with a TPA (third party administrator) to process the claims paperwork per your benefit schedule. The TPA charged $11.50 per insured soul per month. Never went up in the entire period I ran the factory, about nine years. All payments made directly from my accounts payable into an account used by the TPA to pay medical providers based on approved claims. TPA also contracted with many others in the market area and negotiated the U & C, signed up the providers.
Couldn't be a more streamlined efficient system and no "profit" to an insurance company.
Yet medical costs went up each and every year at a rate about 3-4 times the rate of inflation. This despite maintaining a cost sharing ratio and providing subsidy for and encouragement to join local wellness center.
Frank

Some people make a living doing something similar, finding double billing, general mistakes and outright theft by hospitals and doctors alike.
"Robatoy" wrote

.lower income families... still the same coverage.
I'm not sure I understand the logic that says that benefitting from insurance is a winner. My thinking is that *not* benefitting is a winner. My insurance exists as the comforting thought that if a disaster strikes I'm covered. Insurance peace of mind. I hope I never have to collect.

Amen
Amen again

Another amen

Maybe he's a "yoker" heh heh.
Max

<snipped a lot>

My sentiments exactly. That is why I switched to a very high deductible policy with an HSA.
Last year I ran 1602 miles. Won the 60-64 Age group in all but one race I ran, 5K up to Half M. Watch what I eat. That is my real health "insurance".
The high deductible coupled with an HSA actually gives the individual an incentive to stay healthy. Nothing you can do about the premium but it is substantially lower and you look for things you can do to stay healthy and not spend the deductible.
My opinion is that the health care system has gotten very much like the legal system. The only way to beat it is to stay out of it.
Frank

Souhnds like J. I. Rodale. The one who was bragging about his health on the Dick Cavett Show, and dropped dead in mid-sentence.
Or maybe Jim Fixx, the distance runner who had a massive heart attack and died at 28.
Genetics still trumps.
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 13:14:44 -0800 (PST), Charlie Self

You can always find anecdotal deviations in any population. But if you look at the statistics, what I do works well.

Maternal grandmother lived to be 102. Mother just turned 84, walks five miles a day. I am blessed with at least a half a set of good genetic makeup. The other half, maybe not so hot.
Frank

At what point (distance) are you going to go out to get her?
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 14:46:48 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

LOL So far she has always come home. In good weather she walks around the little Texas town she lives in. In bad weather she walks the perimeter aisles at the local Wal Mart. They all know her so if she gets lost, someone will take her home.
Frank
Frank Boettcher wrote:

The thing that bugs me is that both my parents died of cancer, and not quick ones either. So I can look forward to 80 or so years of vigorous good health then a couple of years of slow torture. I'm trying for something quicker.
--John
J. Clarke wrote:

That's why we have a perfectly good desert here in Arizona. I gives me a free long/short term health care insurance program - all I have to do is go for a walk and the problem is solved in a day or two at most...
Mom went at 93 from a stroke (about 2 days unconscious with no pain) and Pop at 89 took a few weeks from colon cancer. Would have been a lot better for Pop if they hadn't opened him up and delayed things for those few weeks.
Charlie Self wrote:

Ed Burke, "the father of heart rate monitor training", who trained the likes of Lance Armstrong, died very young of a heart attack.

Yep, and just recently a very young olympic marathon contender, Ryan Shay died of heart failure at the New York Marathon Olympic trials.
Many of these individuals, when you look under the covers, had some prexisting condition often congenital.
As a manufacturing manager I've been either cursed or blessed with a continual barrage of knowledge about the statistical nature of populations. When you read the headlines about any controversial event it would always be good to get back to the mean, mode, median, standard deviation, control limits and range of the particular population before forming a judgement based on the event. It will help maintain sanity in a world that pummels you with mostly negative sensational mutually exclusive events.
You may discover that the sky is actually not falling.
Frank
"Frank Boettcher" wrote

Indeed ... but hard for a good many to keep in mind whilst being bombarded with election year rhetoric. :)
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

Zzzzactly! But as a very old saying goes: "nobody notices the fresh vegetables at a market, but everybody notices that one very dead fish." Nothing screws an economy more than the news that the economy is screwed.
Daughter # 3 still lives at home. When she complained about something, I pointed out to her that our household lives in the top 2% of the entire global population. We may be less fortunate than the orthodontist I keep writing 1000 dollars checks to on her behalf, but we're doing okay. No Bentley Continental R in my driveway, but I didn't think the sound system was all that great anyway..<G>
The fact that I think life is pretty good... does THAT make me a lefty?
LOL
"Robatoy" wrote

checks to on her behalf,
Yep ... when you have a daughter, that's one 'inevitability' that goes right along with death and taxes.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 12/14/07

I guess if we keep doing this long enough, evolution will eventually make orthodontists extinct. (for the same reason that if we continue to cut our hair, eventually it will stop growing... it's already working a little bit on the top of my head....)
"Robatoy" wrote
I guess if we keep doing this long enough, evolution will eventually make orthodontists extinct. (for the same reason that if we continue to cut our hair, eventually it will stop growing... it's already working a little bit on the top of my head....)
Don't worry. Yourt body will compensate and grow more hair from your nose and ears.
DAMHIKT

I have dark hair on only two areas of my body. The area you can see is my ears.
Robatoy wrote:

... snip

Nope, that puts you on the other side I'm afraid :-) Lefty is always doom an gloom, the sky is falling, woe is me/us, help me oh great god of government!