OT: Misc. Ramblings.

Page 2 of 6

My story from three days ago.
I bought a printer for my wife and thought it would be a snap to install. Since I have installed about 30 or so of them in my life. It kept bitching about a corrupted file. Dreading talking to a brain dead techie who can't speak english, I toiled for over an hour, turning off firewalls, etc. I tried every trick in the book. Nothing worked. Soooo....., I called hp technical support line. I am still recovering from the trauma.
First I should mention that I have a hearing loss. My wife can hear a pin drop from a block away. (Which incredibly complicates my life from time to time) This heavily accented voice was almost impossible for my wife to understand, let alone me. So my wife and I handed the phone back and forth for an hour and a half trying to decipher this caveman techie's babble. And if I did not have some thirty years of computer experience, this printer would have never been installed.
The most stressful and moronic aspect of this whole ordeal was that all the procedures were based on the fact that techies did not speak english well. If they spoke normally, the call could be shortened by two thirds. And this is the way that they are trained. Like parrots, they repeat what is before them. They can't interact with you or make decisions.
Eventually the problem was solved with a simple temporary msconfig change. This could have been included on a peice of paper in the printer box. In that whole hour and a half we only tried about five things. Is hp really saving money by pissing everybody off and have the caveman techies take many times longer to do the same job because they can't speak english? Or engage in simple reasoning processes?
Before going to bed that night, my wife gave me a big hug and thanked me. I asked what she was thanking me for. She said, "For installing my printer".
I did not realize what a big deal it would turn out to be. HP has alway had good printers and I never had problems installing them before. I spent two and a half hours of hell installing a simple inkjet printer.
<grumble, grumble, bitch, bitch>
I hope I am remaining on topic for this thread.
On Wed, 13 Feb 2008 14:04:52 -0500, "Lee Michaels"

I've had two experiences with HP support (corporate account) in the last five years. Both were about replacement hard drives for under-warranty laptops.
Laptop # 1 - Talked to marginal English user and had to give the snail-mail address 3 times - spelled phonetically each time - before he got it right. Total call time probably 45 minutes.
Laptop # 2 (about a year later) - Talked to (apparently native) English speaker who sounded like southern California and understood a US pun. Call took all of 5 minutes.
The total "cost per call" has to be lower when the calls are handled 9 times as fast.
No experience with them in the last 24 months, so they may have gone back into stupid mode...
John

Fifteen years ago I used to work for HP doing support. I wasn't dealing with consumer products though, but rather UNIX mini-computers and workstations.
The funny thing is that the middle management was always touting about how we were a profit center. The logic was that the quality of our support was an asset to the sale and that the support plans sold to customers was fairly profitable. Apparently long after I left HP realized that they could reduce the quality a bit make a much bigger profit by sending jobs like the one I had overseas.
I often wonder what RPM Bill and Dave are spinning in their graves.
--
Frank Stutzman

"Frank Stutzman" wrote:

At one time in my life was involved in high end data acquisition system front ends.
Still remember the marketing mgr's comment about HP products.
"They are the standard of mediocrity", or something close.
Although must say, they had a pretty decent engineering computer, at that point in time.
Lew
Lew Hodgett wrote:

They were the gold standard for RF test equipment back in the day. Their voltmeters and low-frequency analog, not so much.

Their test equipment computers (ala HP9826, HP9836) were brilliantly designed pieces of equipment for rack-mounted test stations and networked test equipment (the network being an IEEE-488 bus).

A few years back, around 1999, HP spun off the Test & Measurement Equipment division. The spin off company is Agilent Technologies. They still build top grade test equipment and trace their roots to Dave Packard's garage in Palo Alto and the Hp200A.
I have to believe that Bill Hewlett and Dave Packard would identify themselves more with Agilent than the company that bears their names.
Lloyd Baker
scouter3 wrote:

I did not know that; my job duties are significantly different than way back then. My day is complete, I learned something.

You might find one of my experiences with Cisco amusing. One night a few years ago, one of our offices started having connection problems with the main office. Since I was on-call I went and started diagnosing the problem. Got down to the Cisco router so I called their Tech support. The person that answered the phone was actually a pretty good tech, but his accent made me ask where he was. He was in New Zealand. We decided that we needed a replacement router so he said he would make arrangements to have one sent out. I told him that I would really like to have the office back up and running by morning and asked where the replacement was going to be shipped from. San Jose, California he said. I said OK, I'm in San Jose so what is the address that it will be shipped from? He gave me the address and as luck would have it, it was very literally a block away. I was even looking at the very building out the front window of the office I was in. I told him that I could walk to that place in under 5 minutes and if there was a way to set it up for me to go get it. He said they couldn't do that and gave me some lame ass excuse. After I complained, he agreed that this seemed ridiculous to him to and he went to speak to his manager. He kept coming back to the phone about every 5-10 min to let me know that he hadn't forgotten about me, and finally after about an hour it was all set. I walked down the the building, traded routers, walked back and had the office back up 30 min later (had to refresh the config).
The whole thing was just laughable to me. Here I am in San Jose, CA talking to a tech in New Zealand about getting a product shipped from a block away.
Wayne

Read "The World is Flat".
No more surprises.
-Zz
Zz Yzx wrote:

Great read until the last chapter or so when he went off on his political rant.
"Lee Michaels" wrote:

Made an executive decision a long time ago.
I don't do business with HP.
Life is much toooooo short to waste it trying to do business with HP and also AT&T.
Lew

lol, just don't press the "offa to pek" key! YOur'e dead-on!
--

If it weren't for coincidences,
life would be a lot more boring!

You're telling me it's slow!!!
Look what I did.
http://tinyurl.com/2s2jkk
Max
wrote :

That's just sick...no one should be able to look and see what bits there are!
You are an infidel!
Mike
"The Davenport's" wrote

Anal. LOL Did you notice that there were quite a few duplications. Before, if I couldn't find a certain bit right away, I went out and bought another one. I figured it would be cheaper to take the time to get organized than to keep buying more bits. <G>
Max
<<<<<<<<<<< Snippage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Not only that, but they all look . . .clean.
Wayne

Not the "original" ones that I found after I went out and bought a replacement. :-(
Max
Max wrote:

Wow, the woodworker's equivalent of sorting your sock drawer! :-)

"Mark & Juanita" wrote

LOL Obsessive compulsive.
I wish the rest of my shop was that organized. :-( I wish my sock drawer was that organized. :-)
Max

Alright Max.... just stop it. I can't afford to have the SO come in and go "honey, look how nice his bit thingies are sorted. I'll bet if you did that kind of thing with your stuff you could find things anytime you wanted them".
Can't you just keep your bits in the little pouches and make sure you don't jerk the drawer around like the rest of us?
;^)
Robert
== set down the label maker and walk away =