OT: Misc. Ramblings.

Page 1 of 6
There's been some bitching that things are slow in here. That is perfect timing as I am full-up in production again after a tedious healing of a hernia op.
Business is traditionally slow this time of year, but it gives me time to get the promotional stuff done and to prepare the brown bags of receipts for the annual trip to the accountants.
Also got a nice price increase from one of my solid surface suppliers who does so much business, he doesn't need us anymore. (Berra, paraphrased).
Whilst enjoying a mug of coffee, (freshly ground in my burr-grinder and sent through my BUNN) I took on the task of ripping into my telecom supplier. I have waited for years to be able to tell Ma Bell to go screw herself. As my ISP, the speed has been dropping, dropping.. till I pick up the phone and call the tech dept. I get to talk to Rashni Vindalousyshiat, who promptly tells me it is all my fault, I have to disconnect 'ebreeteeengh' [sic] and start all over. THIS time I told his supervisor he could take my 3 cell phones, my fax line, my house line, my 2 internet connections and satellite dishes and shove them up his ass. I can get all those services from my cable company now... for less. He promptly changed his tone and told me he'd have somebody contact me who would make me happy again. This is where it gets weird. My internet speed suddenly more than doubled. Ergo: the sunsabiatches throttle people down till they complain? WTF? I'm serious, he flipped a switch. I went from 122 kbps to 279 kbps in a few minutes without touching a thing! I was getting that six months ago, when I had to bitch at them then. THEN I thought that they maybe had found a fault and fixed it. You don't really notice the slowdown until you start downloading large user manuals. etc.
I also notice Hitlary rearranging the deck chairs on her Titanic.
Have a nice day.
r-----> who burr-grinds his coffee beans in a 29 dollar refurbished Cuisinart grinder. Just your basic Costco 100% columbian beans, nothing fancy-schmancy, just awesome coffee. *gives Starbucks and Timmy's the finger*
Snip

I have ATT and have had a few outages on DSL which is naturally my fault untill they cannot help me make enough computer changes to work. Then thay want to send out a technition to see what the problem is. Then they call back 1 hour later and tell me that is their problem as they are workin on the lines. I knew that, and only wanted to know how long it would take. That person gave me an 1800 number to by pass Hadji and his relatives to get to some one that knows what is going on.

Yup, Sad but encouraging.

You mean they didn't ask you to blow into the mouth piece three times to dislodge the bird shit off their lines? ~:o)))))))
Dave in Houston
"Robatoy" wrote:
> As my ISP, the speed has been dropping, dropping.. till I pick up the

Vindalousyshiat,
I try not to be prejudiced, every has to drink from the trough, but when I go to tech support and get a dot head, especially a female dot head, I usually end up saying, "I'm sorry it is my fault, but I can not understand you, may I speak to your supervisor?"
After about 3-5 of these exchanges, usually get somebody who I can understand.
When it comes to helping me, they are often as useless as breasts on a boar hog, but at least I can understand them.
SFWIW, US companies are starting to bring customer service and tech service back to the US using people operating from their homes rather than a centralized call center.
Proving to be more cost effective.
Lew

Ain't it funny how great an idea that is? Bringing support on-shore, I mean. Heck, we could even speak to English speaking people then! And just think, a few toll free lines instead of trans-oceanic cable saves a penny or so too! Huh!! Can't imagine them not reasizing that sooner; as in, before the idiots even tried it! Gads, intelligent people can sure be stupid.
--

If it weren't for coincidences,
life would be a lot more boring!

It's all done with Voice over IP now = no long distance. Otherwise they could never afford to do it.

says...

Yes, and that, more than the accents, is mostly responsible for the utter garbled-ness of the communication attempts. I have had connections to 'helplines' from 3-com and HP that were just impossible to communicate through, the distortion & hacking was so bad. I am actually quite used to dealing with Indian accents and have no problem with them in 'Real Life'. But those VoIP lines stink - many if not most of them.
-P.

Getting good help is tougher here than there, though. We're undereducated, overaggressive and by necessity, higher-paid. Not to mention the obvious, which is that there are a lot of people born and raised here who don't speak "Standard English."
On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 00:57:55 GMT, "Twayne"

I think the big factor is that the offshore places have raised their prices to where most of the cost advantage has gone away. I will say that I have dealt with some very good tech support people from India (I think it was, anyway) and some very bad ones here in the U.S.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com

Lew,
Is that right? I'd love to see some articles to that effect.
Sincerely hope it's true.
jc

"Joe" wrote:

Was a sound bite on the evening news a few weeks ago.
One of the people profiled was a mom who had her work station in a spare room in the house.
She worked while the kid were in school.
Lew
Joe wrote:

Robert Allison
Rimshot, Inc.

I've learned that when I get someone who is speaking English as their 4th language, to ask early on for someone that speaks good English. It has worked a couple of times.
Wayne

you must mean 'speaks English well'.
:)
charlie wrote:

That is what I mean, but I intentionally ask for someone that speaks "good English" because there is a better chance that they will understand what I mean.
Wayne

At the very least, preferably gooder than that.

Please define 'good english'.

That would be "gooder'n regler english.

I'm glad yous guys hassit all figgurred outs.

Hey... I must have had the same guy (or his brother answer my phone calls last time I had a problem with the SBC skin on Explorer.
Repeatedly, he told me "thank you so much. Prease krick da bruey so we can futha investrigate."
Huh?
"OK, I got the click part, but I don't know where to click the bruey".
"Thank you so much. Put a mowws pointa on him and krick."
Silence. I look intently for he bruey part of my "desstop".
Nothing.
"Where would the bruey be on the desktop?"
"Thank you so much. You using Mikrasof Window, yes?"
"Yes"
"You have Sprorer, yes?"
"Yes"
"Thank you so much. Krick onna bruey"
I don't want to hang up. It has taken 20 minutes to get to "tech support". I search intently, but still nothing. Then, in a moment of inspiration I asked -
"Are you saying "click on the blue 'e' ?"
"Yes. Thank you so much. Prease krick to staht program."
I knew when I was beaten. I hung up. My life isn't long enough for that. However, I did get my problem solved.
I switched to Firefox.

I am afraid that is all there is to it, withing limitations. I went form 300 kbps to 600 kbps when I called and bitched to ATT/DSL about my bill. They had a "special on" that gave me double the speed for the same price, and when I bit, they had it switched to the higher speed in 72 hours from the call.

in a Capresso milled burr (not pressed, stamped or cast burrs) grinder, and his occasional 'spresso in a La Pavoni Zip. And yes, with a little practice, I can pull a 27 second shot with a thick amber crema. But what a pain in the ass... I am too lazy. After drinking my fill of espresso, there just isn't enough coffee there to make me happy, so it is drip for me.
But you know, I have been in Costco, and they almost got me to bite in a membership when they installed a giant roaster there at the store. They vent the roasting fumes out of the store as they aren't very good smelling. I am used to it, but some find it offensive. Kind of like burning green wood.
When properly roasted, the bean outgas for some time - that's the great coffee smell. I almost bought the membership as I was "hipmotized" when I went in there and they had just put out a large batch of beans to cool, and it smelled like Heaven in that store. The coffee was good, too. And the bastards gave out free samples.
Hey... it is slow around here, isn't it?
Robert