OT Messages

I have been watching the rec.woodworking usenet group for a few months now. I am greatly disappointed that most of the posts are "OT" and them mostly political. It this usenet is really about woodworking please, please make political post somewhere else! No one is served well on woodworking with many OT posts. I'd be happy to see posts about woodworking only. Can the rest of you live with that? If not, I am out of here.
Richard wrote:

I agree that being unable to filter is frustrating.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar
On Sat, 18 Oct 2008 16:30:37 -0700, Richard wrote:

Richard:
Many news reader applications offer a filter. With these filters, you can ignore any thread (or just posts) that contain "OT" in the subject line. You will need to know how to use a filter when SPAM season comes around again.
Last summer, there were some days with as many as 100 or 120 SPAM advertisements per day. Many left this NG due to the heavy SPAM that occurs now and then. At this moment, SPAM attacks on this NG is quite light.
But do realize this is the Halloween and Election season. You must expect a lot of bear-baiting to be part of any Usenet group like this. The politics will drop off substantially after November 10th. Until then why don't you visit http://www.sawmillcreek.org or the forum hosted by Wood Magazine (you need to do a Google search for that forum)

The woodworking discussion hasn't stopped, it's just most of this newsgroup's membership has gone insane over politics. You can do a few things: Be patient and wait it out, take a temporary vacation from rec.woodworking, or post something related to what you want to see. I try the third option every now and again, and usually get some good responses.
Since you're using Google Groups, your ability to filter will be quite limited. Using a real NNTP server with 90% of the newsreader software out there allows you to filter, which makes reading Usenet groups possible this time of year.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper <puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com> wrote:

That is my current attitude
--
Stuart Winsor

I really don't mind the OT/Political posts as long as they remain "on" their "off" topics. Sometimes they can be interesting, and occasionally I've even learned something from them.
What annoys me is when they degenerate so rapidly to the "you're stupid", "No, YOU're stupid" kind of grade school playground exchanges which do nothing but advertise that the poster has no cogent rebuttal but simply has to have the "last word".
A good news reader software package will allow filtering to some degree and an nfilter (http://www.nfilter.org/ ) addon can improve on the native filters if they're insufficient. Although filtering improves the environment I'm afraid you won't be able to completely avoid the spam/politics/trolls/etc. without going to a moderated newsgroup or web based vBulletin type of forum.
As mentioned elsewhere, the signal to noise ratio should improve considerably after the Tuesday following the first Monday in November - probably just in time for next spam or troll attack.
Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Richard wrote:

New to Usenet?
At some point many of us have asked off-topic posters to take it elsewhere, and then somewhere down the road we find ourselves posting off-topic, oh the irony.
Few things are as pointless as asking people to stop posting off-topic, especially when coupled with a threat that you might leave. Who do you expect to lose sleep over that?
Compared to many groups the signal-to-noise ratio here is actually quite good. A little effort with the scroll wheel on your mouse will get you past the noise, it's not like anyone is forcing you to open and read those off-topic posts.

I think it's time to split the group.

Are you taking applications for moderator?
Ed Pawlowski wrote:

Didn't we already have a volunteer for that about 1 to 2 years ago? I'm sure if somebody approached him politely, he'd be willing to return and assume that duty. (EG)

Was that ol' Cantaloupe Cody who reported me to my employer when I told him his construction figures were bullshit?

Vito is prolly taking on newcomers.
tom watson

In case anyone's interested, it looks like rec.games.chess split off the political discussion side to rec.games.chess.politics. I haven't actually opened the group to find out if that's true, but perhaps something similar would be beneficial here.
Disclaimer: This is just a passing idea. As such, a minimal amount of effort has been applied to research for the conversation.
Puckdropper

Personally I think a LITTLE bit of peripherally-topicced (!) traffic is quite good for a group - i.e. when it's nominally on topic but would offend a pure lexographic retentive.
What offpisses me is the _quantity_ of political stuff which is of no interest to anyone living in the civilized world. OK. the odd mention of colonial tribal squabbling could be entertaining and even informative, but a pure OT diatribe - and its inevitable stream of responses and bloody polemic - shags up up the signal to noise ratio as much as the spammongerers efforts.
There are 75 gezillion newsgroups on this thing, and in the many categories there are many many many where you could legitimately vent your spleen about your issues with Michael Palin and Osama bin Laden racing neck and neck to global pollution responsibility.. If I want to know, I'll go and look.
If it's desperately important that you discuss your politics, religion or weird sexuality with those you consider friends because of a shared interest in wood-sniffing, then by all means, put a btw pointer to your (other) post in a different newsgroup in here. Similarly, a pointer to your amazing discovery in alt.binaries.muslim-schoolgirls-latex-shaved-camels.custard may well be interesting and something you'd like to tell those of us unlucky to have missed it all about, so a _short_ mention may be appreciated by enough on here to make it worthwhile. It's a judgment call. If you think the OT content is little enough and will appeal to enough readers because of their on-topic common interest, then it'd be a shame for folk to miss out on what would be disallowed on an overly-controlled anally retentive moderators pet group. With freedom, however, comes responsibility. If it were impossible for spammers and OT posters to post, then the group really would be poorer for it. It's the freedom to post, tempered by the posters good judgment, that keeps a newsgroup alive and, ultimately, worthwhile. There again, just because you _can_ piss in the pool doesn't mean that you _have_ to.
Think about the number of readers who DON"T live in, or care for, your LOCAL interest matters. Its one thing to talk about the great deal you found in your local tool store in Austin, or Blackburn or Edinburgh or Boston but yet another to drone on about how the mayor of your village can't count up to ten, is a lesbian and once quoted Chatlie Chaplin in a high school essay on witch hunts. The internet - and usenet - actually extends beyond your territorial boundaries, whatever they might be and it's arrogant and agressive to presume and behave otherwise.
I love you all for being a diverse bunch, even if you - and I - display moments of utter fuckwittedness from time to time. I've dropped a couple of faux pas on the wire from time to time from misgauging the group mindset. All of us have. All part of getting to know each other and trying to do something positive for the whole thang.
No offence intended and I hope none taken.
Just my three farthings worth.
Richard wrote:

Richard;
Most newsgroups are a kind of community wherein the residents meet to discuss subjects of common interest. Usually these subjects are about a specific topic, such as woodworking, but from time to time other items of interest come up that generate emails from the group. I find this to be interesting, at least until the thread breaks down into name calling, etc. Occasionally the OT subject is offensive, those I ignore.
If you can't live with that then have a good life.
Dave Nagel

Isn't a posting, that asks people to not submit OT postings, an OT posting?
MB wrote:

The usenet convention is that topicality is always topical.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Well it is properly marked with the OT in the subject line... or is it?
Puckdropper

Richard... what have you done for us lately?