OT: Me In a Music Video (get a good laugh!)

Page 4 of 5
Greg Guarino wrote:

Yes, I'm one of the lousy ones. I could play songs you would recognize on at least 4 different instruments from 3 different instrument families. On guitar, I took the time to learn to play a few things well. I played in a few open-mic nights--never for pay like you. I used to walk on a trail through the woods (next to where I lived) and play and sing some old country blues. A gal overheard me once and complimented me, and I made a date with her on the spot. She chickened out though before the eagle flew (on Friday) though... I still sing something everyday I think, just for the halibut.
With regard to your generalization, I think "we" are drawn towards technical things--things with moving parts, etc., and some of us are probably creative and/or artistic.
Bill
Musicians do tend to find other interesting things to

On 11/15/2011 7:23 PM, Bill wrote: On guitar, I took the time to learn to play a few things well.

I thought of a more interesting story. Not too many years ago I was playing guitar, near a parking lot, outside my apartment a woman stopped to tell me her apartment number and that her husband went to work at 6:00. I guess she wanted a private concert and might have even paid me, but I explained briefly that I didn't do that. Morality aside, it seemed like a good way to get killed. So I passed up that chance at a paying gig.
Bill

I've been playing guitar for a few years now. Mostly chords like G,C,D,E....(NO Fs though), and an occassional minor.
As soon as I finish the wherry I'm going to build a lap steel out of cypress root.
-Zz

I did build a pretty cool music machine last week though:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyCIpKAIFyo

-Zz
I just love to play with G Strings also butt, unlike you, I don't get mixed up with minors.
---------------
"Zz Yzx" wrote in message
I've been playing guitar for a few years now. Mostly chords like G,C,D,E....(NO Fs though), and an occassional minor.
As soon as I finish the wherry I'm going to build a lap steel out of cypress root.
-Zz
On Wed, 16 Nov 2011 22:16:33 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

I hate the key of E-flat when playing guitar.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA
On 11/15/2011 2:01 PM, Greg Guarino wrote:

I've been playing drums since 1971 (when I was 9 years old), far longer than I've been a woodworker.
--
See Nad. See Nad go. Go Nad!
To reply, eat the taco.
On 11/16/11 9:57 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

But you've probably lost less money as a woodworker than a musician. :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 11/16/2011 11:51 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I don't think I've ever lost money as a musician. Never made a great deal either, but always got paid.
On 11/17/2011 6:16 AM, Greg Guarino wrote:

It's possible that I've made enough money over the years playing gigs to actually PAY for my drum set, but I doubt it. It's *always* been a casual pastime for me and I've never tried to pursue it as a career. The band I'm playing for now has been together since 2003 and we only play out about once a month, and though we do like a good paying gig we never get particularly concerned about it. We all have day jobs. :-)
--
Free bad advice available here.
To reply, eat the taco.
On 11/17/2011 8:59 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

I'm in an odd in-between area. I've been in bands more or less continuously since my teens; everyone involved always had other jobs. I can remember flirting with the idea of becoming a professional musician, but flirtation (mild flirtation at that) was as far as it went.
On the other hand I figure I've done upwards of 2000 gigs in my long and undistinguished demi-career, at least three quarters of which came along when I was well past the recommended Rock 'n' Roll freshness date. ;)
On 11/17/11 7:59 AM, Steve Turner wrote:

Honestly, I just picked one and went with it. It's funny both ways... "you've probably lost less money as a musician than a woodworker."
Funny, though.... the way Steve talks about it is why we all got into it. "It's so fun, I should do this for a living." Once you are trying to do it for a living, it get stressful, fast, and sometimes you think, "Wait, why am I doing this, again?" :-)
--

-MIKE-

On 11/16/2011 10:57 PM, Steve Turner wrote:

A beginner then. :)
I'm only 5 years older, but I was in my first band by 1971. We'd probably even done our first paying gig; $10 a man for one set at the Kings Point Mental Institution. The guitarist's Dad drove us to the place in his plumbing truck. We sat on the floor with our instruments and amps in between the cubbyholes of elbows and tees. The big time, for sure.

Ex musician, future woodworker lurking here.
Lots of instruments are wood and the construction details are critical to the sound.
--- Posted via

Bluegrass banjo since '76.

You don't need rapidly spinning sharp objects. I know this guy through a computer club.
http://rickman.orpheusweb.co.uk/john/kitethumb/index.html
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

Didn't slow down Tony Iommi or Jerry Garcia.
Nice job!
All musicians knew their parts, as far as "controlling themselves" (presence) went.
Good tune, I liked it, and well performed. Video was professional quality too.
Percussion was nothing too fancy and didn't show you off much. You must be less crazy than I figured , from that tune.
I played with a few bands, years back and the good drummers were always the unpredictable, wild personalities. Anytime we had a drummer without the craziness the band was "draggy" LOL
---------- "-MIKE-" wrote in message
This is a 17 year young singer/songwriter whose album I played on. She also asked me to play in her band in this video.
So check me out in this teen-angst love-torn teenybopper music video and go ahead and laugh away when you see me on drums. The other old guy in the band is the producer of the album.
My friend directed and shot the video which turned out great and is very high quality.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
xFhjuvjDE
--

-MIKE-

On 11/15/11 9:58 PM, Josepi wrote:

Most session work follows the KISS rule. My general rule is play half of what I think I should play, then play less. That usually ends up sounding good. I'd rather be told to play more and stretch out a bit than, "could you back off a bit, you're too busy."
I've had some sessions where it was appropriate to show the "crazy side." :-)
--

-MIKE-

That was what was meant by "controlling themselves". Too many players are really great when needed and "look at me" when not wanted. Maybe it's an experience maturity thing. I played too many bars and hated that for years before giving it up. My two older boys followed the musical interest. One did percussion in school for seven years and was damn fine but won't tough it now. The other picked it up by himself and plays many instruments, quite well, but never tried professionally. A third one only listens.
Now I am married to a wife that doesn't like much music, basically, at all. Can't stand anything dynamic or creative and I have listened to too many nail gun pops and whining in my ears, as a result. Should have hired the framer but no... had to do it myself. LOL
------------- "-MIKE-" wrote in message Most session work follows the KISS rule. My general rule is play half of what I think I should play, then play less. That usually ends up sounding good. I'd rather be told to play more and stretch out a bit than, "could you back off a bit, you're too busy."