OT: Me In a Music Video (get a good laugh!)

Page 3 of 5
On 11/17/2011 8:51 PM, -MIKE- wrote:

I might have missed the context ... I thought the discussion was about ripping a CD to an audio codec that makes it sound better than the sow's ear it was to start out. :)
If so, my fault ...

That ain't the word for it, Bubba. <g>
For the record, and before it gets lost to humanity:
To this day, even with the so called advances in recording technology, the ONLY way to record drums and bass for the absolute ultimate in sonic experience _and accurate reproduction_ is on a 2" 16 track analog machine running at 30ips. You only gotta hear it once ... it's not Memorex, it's real ... and your brain will never let your ears forget the experience ...
Sync it to the rest, but start out with the best!
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"Robatoy" wrote:

B&K, haven't heard that name in almost 50 years and then not for audio equipment but rather for a motor driven oscillator used for electro-dynamic vibration test stands used primarily by the space program.
Lew

I owned a B&K motor driven signal generator, all tubes, two oscillators (to set up beat frequency for calibration, and a speedometer-type cable which drove a linear chart recorder. Dead nuts accurate 20-20KHz. The 2 mics, with their associated preamps and calibrated as a unit, came from two B&K sound pressure meters. Flat...and I mean FLAT from 6-100KHz. The capsules, the size of a 1/2" pill, were $ 3000.00 each, hence I borrowed them from The National Research Council in Ottawa when I needed them. For audio purposes, the flatness and dynamic range were perfect, but the noise-floor was a bit high and at that size, there were almost 100% omni. It would probably take a kiloton nuclear explosion at 10 ft to overload those crazy things.
Then there is that story of the PAIR of matched AKG 414 XLS microphones which I missed. They walked out of that pawnshop for for 400...$ gasp...$ 400.00 the pair... mint.....
On 11/18/11 8:13 AM, Robatoy wrote:

wow, someone's rear end must hurt, real bad. :-)
--

-MIKE-

Self inflicted for not getting them on time...or the pawnshop owner once he figured it out what they were worth?
On 11/18/11 1:03 PM, Robatoy wrote:

The days of reaming a shop owner with his own ignorance of an instrument's worth are over thanks to the interwebs. Not that I'm complaining.
--

-MIKE-

Yep, they're both about as good as it gets ... That coincident stereo pair and a Nagra is impossible to beat for a live stereo recording, but for a rhythm track on a multitrack rock/blues song, I never could get 13 drum tracks, a bass track, and a sync tone plus guard track on that damned little recorder!
(I used a coincident pair of Neuman KM-84's and a Nagra to record the sound of waves lapping against the shore (we used a small kiddy pool and swished the water by hand) as the intro to a Dana Cooper song years ago. It was so realistic and startling that everyone who heard it in the studio would react with an instinctive urge to lift their feet up.)
--
www.ewoodshop.com

Sent from my iPad 2 ...

Yep, and it can happen to an untrained ear in some cases as well.
I had a small voice only studio with some monitor speakers designed for am radio. Since I was just recording voice, it was just fine. But sometimes some folks came by and wanted to listen to some music. I put on the music and played it back on the am monitors. There were high quality monitors. The sound was perfect for about 60 percent of the sound spectrum. The rest just wasn't there. It was not needed or was it built in. Amazingly, most people complimented me on the high end. Some folks thought I was lying when I told them there was no high end. I got out the documentation and showed them the frequency response graph. But they swore that they heard absolutely wonderful high end.
They did in fact hear absolutely wonderful low end and middle. They just filled in the rest. Good old psycho acoustics!
"Swingman" wrote in message

I used to be an audiophile, but with extensive therapy I recovered. A big move where all the gee-whiz audio gear went into storage and stayed there for quite some time helped a lot. I'm thinking of putting some of that gear back into service, but not on the worshipping-at-the-alter scale. These days I'd rather buy power tools or maybe a new bass guitar or something like that as opposed to some gold-plated piece of hi-fi gear. But it's funny that I can still remember what certain recordings played through that kind of system sounded like, and I can hear how feeble most people's audio systems are these day ("home theatre" setups designed to make explosions and death rays sound good rather than reproduce music). I guess I'm not *completely* cured, maybe there are meetings I can attend to help me stay on the wagon....
On 11/22/2011 4:23 PM, DGDevin wrote:

Know the feeling. I used to experience that phenomenon back in the old days when taking a tape master to a mastering facility to cut the disc master for record production.
Most of those places were rectangular, low ceiling rooms, with standing waves galore ... hell, they were factories ...and the sound was awful to the point that, when monitoring the process, you often had to sit on both hands to resist the temptation to make adjustments to get it to sound like it did when mixing in the control room.
You really had to have the courage of your convictions, and the confidence that comes with experience to keep from second guessing yourself, and that it really did sound better than what you were then hearing.
A hard thing then to do when many thousands of dollars was riding on the outcome ... and doubly bad if the client insisted on being present.
They often left one of those sessions with tears in their eyes, looking at me as if I was a total idiot, undoubtedly thinking of all the money they had paid me that was now wasted. :)
Of course, the proof was in the pudding, and the outcome was always satisfying in the end.
Digital mastering is a whole different ball game ... best left to a new set of ears, in a different listening environment, with those ears experienced in the genre for which they are mastering and, most importantly, how the results obtained in that environment will _transfer_ accurately to the greatest number of speakers systems upon which the product will be played.
Too many bedroom wannabe's in that end of the business today, IMO.
--
www.eWoodShop.com
Last update: 4/15/2010
"DGDevin" wrote in message
I used to be an audiophile, but with extensive therapy I recovered. A big move where all the gee-whiz audio gear went into storage and stayed there for quite some time helped a lot. I'm thinking of putting some of that gear back into service, but not on the worshipping-at-the-alter scale. These days I'd rather buy power tools or maybe a new bass guitar or something like that as opposed to some gold-plated piece of hi-fi gear. But it's funny that I can still remember what certain recordings played through that kind of system sounded like, and I can hear how feeble most people's audio systems are these day ("home theatre" setups designed to make explosions and death rays sound good rather than reproduce music). I guess I'm not *completely* cured, maybe there are meetings I can attend to help me stay on the wagon....

128kbs, dithered properly and depending on instrument(s) played, can indeed be impossible to tell, Mr. Golden Ears. (Does this need a smiley?)
On 11/17/11 10:18 PM, Robatoy wrote:

lol. I'm not imagining it. I hear an mp3 at 128 and I can't tell what cymbals are what. The whole top end is mush. I ask for the original or something at 320 and everything is clear and distinct.
(ps: beer summit tomorrow eve on google+)
--

-MIKE-

I quit using compressed formats years ago. I strictly use lossless now, either FLAC or ALAC. 2k CDs in lossless uses a bit'o space.
On 11/18/2011 10:59 AM, Casper wrote:

Even at that, if your average file was 30MB, you could still put a hundred thousand songs on a single 3TB HD. At an average 3 minutes a song (10MB/minute), that's 5,000 hours of continuous listening. At an hour of listening a day, it would take you nearly 14 years to listen to your entire collection, without ever repeating a single song. That's still not much of a limit.
"Just Wondering" wrote in message

2TB internals were under eighty bucks just weeks ago until the flooding in Thailand put a halt to a big chunk of the world's hard drive manufacturing--that price has about doubled. Happily I picked up a couple of 2TB drives just before the price spiked. I've learned the hard way that multiple backups are not an option.
First time didn't make it, trying again...

I've done some minor repair work but no building or rebuilding. I've toyed with the idea, especially since I've thought about trying the bass guitar. Guess I'll have to poke around the local flea market.

Most of mine are in a giant metal rack I picked up a few years ago. Run-over is in milk crates, waiting to be cataloged. I use a program to try and avoid re-buying the same CD, which has happened.

I'm already in the process of doing that and glad of it. Much easier to listen to all around the house. Protects the CD too, from being handled too much. I already decided this year is the last year I'm going to "increase" my library. Going forward I'm going to limit myself to one hard drive and anything new going in requires something going out. With over 2k in albums, there are too many I don't listen too, at least often enough.
;) `Casper
On Tue, 15 Nov 2011 15:01:07 -0500, Greg Guarino wrote:

basilisk
On 11/15/2011 3:54 PM, basilisk wrote:

as a matched pair. I've met any number of potential customers in my lifetime, some of whom claim to be singers.

Many woodworkers are in it because of the creative nature of the craft. Thus, those "creatives" are often also musicians of a sort.