OT (maybe) Industrial Deoderizer

It has been awhile since I posted, but I have a question that possibly the group has some experience with.

I find my self in possession of a mobile home that belonged to a cat hoarder, let your imagination run wild and it will fall short of what was actually in the floor of this thing.

The incident that lead up to my ownership made national news. If interested you can go here> "

"

I bought the place prior to any of this coming to light and my only real interest was the lot, the mobile home was supposed to be sold and moved, time ran out on this happening and now I am the proud owner of a trailer with the floors covered in what cats do best.

Options include:

  1. Giving the local fire department a donation to burn it to the ground and having scrappers get the remains. This is most likely the sanest, most trouble free option. May or may not maximize my investment.

  1. I have no reason to be in a hurry so why not try to have it cleaned and deoderize it and put new plywood down to seal the floors in the hope that it will pass muster for a rental property. I think with me doing all the work (except intial cleanup) I would have around 6K in this, however if the stench comes back I will have thrown that money away.

  2. Do a tentative cleaning and sale lot, trailer and all, I can probably make a few thousand doing this, however I had planned to give this to one of my kids for an investment property.

My main question is does any one know of how to deoderize something like this? Maybe some powerful deoderant followed by an elastomeric coating then new luan subfloor? Would putting roll vinyl flooring all the way through seal the stench?

I'll entertain any suggestions as there are no real problems with any possible outcome, the lot itself is easy worth twice what I paid for it.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

You may want to ask on alt.home.repair as I think it has come up there before.

I can see some benefit to option #1 though. Nice deductible contribution. Doubt I'd sink 6k into it unless it was a definite payback.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Nothing like the wisdom from past experience, this parallels my thinking, but was hopeful there might be other possibilities.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

I'll search the archives there and see what turns up.

And less were and tear on me.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

There are options but depending on how deep the liquid penetration, you might be fighting against a waterfall. In order to really assess the situation you'd have to rip up some flooring and have a look see.

A few years ago I did a similar cleanup job for a friend. Took me 3.5 weeks and cost about 1800. Last 1.5 weeks I was stuck working alone. Owner decided since he couldn't see or smell or any cat residue, he was good with it. Stains on the hardwood floor in one room would have required a floor refinish and a darker stain. He went cheap route and carpeted over. Not a single potential or final buyer, ever smelled or suspected a thing. Sold the home in 11 months and that was only because owner dragged his feet.

Mobile homes are tricky on a few fronts and flooring is one of them. I know, I live in one. I personally don't consider it an invetment property as they depreciate over time. That is a personal choice.

If your home is severe and you don't want to deal with it or spend the cash, I'd first try selling the the home if you really want the property. There are people right now buying older MHs for removal to other locations. My neighbor got an offer this year for $15k for his

95(?) single wide to be moved. He paid that for it 4 years ago. He delclined and is now kicking himself.Depening on age and condition, there are a lot of people looking to buy older ones to plop on thier property of choice and remodel.

A couple links that might help...

Google is great for finding this stuff.

Good luck!

Reply to
Casper

More of an income property, here, this mobile home if decent and where it is located will rent for $500 to $600 a month, with not much investment. I personally don't want to ever be in the rental business again, I just don't want the bother at this stage of life. If its future is rental it will be my son doing so.

This is a possibility, a few thousand now to me is better than spending 5K for a distant pay back.

Thanks, I'll look when I have time, my total experience with mobile homes is that I lived in one for a couple of months long ago and I had a rental in the 90's, neither of which I ever did any work on.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk

Subject: OT (maybe) Industrial Deoderizer

--------------------------------------------------------- The only "Industrial Deodorizer" for this application is a 2,800 F flame, and even then it needs to be a controlled burn.

Having the smoke of an open burn drift out over the open country side just isn't swift.

You need a burner to burn the smoke coming off the soaked flooring as well as the main burner.

A paving contractor supplier will have propane burner, hose, tank and valve for sale as a packaged item. $75/unit should cover it.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Burn Baby Burn

[...]

jloomis

basilisk wrote in news:gg9rdte0sr84$. snipped-for-privacy@40tude.net:

I think the only thing that will purify the building is intense solar radiation. You need to attach rocket thrusters or something to it and launch it in to the sun!

Don't worry, it'll burn up long before it bothers the sun. So while the sun brightly illuminates the building and begins to incinerate it, we'll find that the sun's increasing brightness marks the sunset of the trailer's existance.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper
[snip]

I feel your pain and your tale of woe emphasizes why I love cats... dead ones!

How about a call to Servicemaster or one of those outfits. I'd play dumb - it's not that hard ;) - and tell them that all your friends say you're crazy and should burn it down. Let them throw a sales pitch on you, get a price and try to get them to hint and just how they'll do it and then...

Or, you may be surprised that they DO have a sure fire solution that is not too costly and you can pay them to do it, sit there with a guarantee in hand, and go your rental property route.

Use your head, Puckdropper. All they have to do is time the landing for night! ;)

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

I like it, first 14X80 Mobile home with a payload of cat shit, in space, now where did I put those surplus saturn engines?

basilsik

Reply to
basilisk

Hadn't you recently built a new shop, to organize all that surplus? We haven't seen (that I recall!) any updated shop pics, either.

You've been away too long. (.... Must have been busy working on/in that new shop!)

Sonny

Reply to
Sonny

I wish, I have been sidetracked for some time, but am beginning to get back in the shop.

It still isn't completed, but structure is complete and it is wired, the metal working has taken over more than intended and the woodworking end is not set up yet.

My son is also taken up a good deal of room with a three wheeler collection, motorcycles and cars that are borderline antique.(euphemism for "junk").

Maybe I'll get some work done and have something picture worthy before too long.

basilisk

Reply to
basilisk