OT: Martha's Guilty

Page 3 of 5
just looked at another news source which clearly says 4 counts. I knew I could "count" on you, Leon. <g>
dave
Leon wrote:

My wife and I were just talking about Martha. We surmise she will be given a sentence of 500 hours of community service: demonstrating how to make a bed with hospital corners.
dave
Leon wrote:

I have a better idea. Sentence her to single handedly redecorate the whole prison.

whole
Wow what a great Idea. That would make for a more humane incarceration of the rest of the prison population. It's a good thing.
D. Mo
"Bay Area Dave" wrote in message

Better yet ... let's see what the WorldCom and Enron honcho's get for a much more dastardly deed that hurt a hell of lot more folks.
Greed and arrogance will hit the hardest in the solitude of a cell. Can you imagine trying to sleep at night after basically losing a mega-million dollar empire over +/- 40K worth of stock?
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

The kicker here is the real sufferers from this vendetta will be the people working for Martha Stewart's companies. Those are going to shrink. The jobs will go away, never to return. More taxes cut from government rolls. People on the unemployment rolls.
Why? Because someone had to equate a minor bit of foolishness with the Enron, WorldCom, Andersen messes. I'd guess that some Fed also had a hard-on for Ms Stewart beause she is reputed to be arrogant and bitchy.
Loss of jobs? Roughly, dozens, possibly hundreds.
Our tax dollars at work.
Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain
somehow, I feel that she will emerge from all this none the worse for wear. Some people are survivors. Maybe she'll take up golf and help OJ find the "real killer".
dave
Charlie Self wrote:

Charlie Self wrote:

Charlie...
Look at it this way: At least a few of those people will find new jobs flipping burgers in fast food joints - which improves the manufacturing employment statistics.
--
Morris Dovey
West Des Moines, Iowa USA
Morris Dovey writes:

There you go. That's work. Further proof of Bushian stats that show a minimum wage job is as good as 50K a year.
Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain

minimum
Cmon...I thought this is what you libs like...rich people getting their comeuppance. Oh, you mean rich people actually give jobs to regular people? Someone should alert the DNC.
todd

people?
LOL!
todd writes:

You got a problem with the real world, don't you?
Goodbye.
Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain

The point is that it isn't comeuppance, its politics.

You sound like you listen to Limbaugh and Hannity et al.
For a complete change, here is one of my favorite liberals, Thomas Jefferson in his first inaugural:
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; freedom of religion; freedom of the press, and freedom of person under the protection of habeous corpus, and trial by juries impartially selected. These principles form the bright constellation which has gone before us and guided our steps through an age of revolution and reformation. The wisdom of sages and blood of our heroes have devoted to their attainment. They should be the creed of our political faith, the text of civil instruction, the touchstone by which to try the services of those we trust; and should we wander from them in moments of error or of alarm, let us hasten to retrace our steps and to regain the road which alone leads to peace, liberty, and safety."
I think he explains it well here:
"There is... an artificial aristocracy founded on wealth and birth, without either virtue or talents... The artificial aristocracy is a mischevious ingredient in government, and provision should be made to prevent its ascendency."
Don't be ridiculous. New name, same product, march smartly into the future.
Remember Kathy Lee and the sweatshop scandal? Now THAT was a vendetta. Betcha Wally World's still buying from the same place.

people
jobs
People on

.
George wrings out:

So what are they going to call all the peripheral media products? Looks more like a limp to me.
As for Kathy Lee, I don't see the sales being the same without the cachet attached before her name got trashed. I'm sure Walmart buys from the same places. Hell, they probably put her onto the places.
It ain't good to be a bossy woman in today's world.
Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain
On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 18:19:53 -0500, "George"

The NBA is.
Barry
"Charlie Self" wrote in message

Enron,
Ms
I agree with you. When taken in context with the Enron's, et al, I've been uneasy about what seemed an inordinate amount of class envy and spite mixed in with the media coverage, and some aspects of the case had all the ear marks and feel of a sop, red herring, or bone thrown to the masses to make up for lack of oversight of the regulatory agencies during this entire period.
Still, possible overzealous prosecutors notwithstanding, you gotta hope the jury made their decision based on the facts.
BUT, if the big boys don't get their comeuppance as well, this case could start looking more like the above "bone" to me.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/28/04

much
you
people
jobs
People on

Enron,
Ms
ya mexican, chinese, and taiwanese jobs... you think any of that crap is made in the usa? at best assembled. by minimum wage workers. with no health benefits.

did martha do insider trading? yes. should she be punished? yes. two wrongs dont make a right. arguing that the economy is so dependant on martha that she shouldnt be punished for doing something wrong is silly. if a non-violent 3-striker in california can be put away for life, and a guy with a pot plant can have his house taken away, the people in charge of enron should be jailed for life. martha? she needs to do at least two years. and she can sell the business preserving all those foreign and crappy us jobs.
you play with the bull, you get the horns. i for one have seen enough corporate crimanals buy their way out of things.
randy
xronger responds:

I'll be a sumbitch. And here I thought that TV show and her magazine were written and produced in the U.S. Where were they made? Mexico? Taiwan? China? The bits I've watched seem to have been made with U.S. skill. And the magazine doesn't read like anything put out in a non-English speaking country. Maybe the longshoremen who unload the shiploads of stuff brought in are also from China.
Almost no textile products are made in the U.S. today. Check your LL Bean shirt labels.

I didn't say the economy was dependent on Martha, though I'm sure in hundreds of families it is. She was ocnvicted of insider trading. Was she guilty? Who the hell knows. I didn't hear the evidence.

Who is going to buy a business going broke or being seriouslyr educed in size? You? Bargain time?

Yeah, well, let's wait until the real criminals get to trial, those who stole billions, not a supposed 51K.
Charlie Self "Facts are stubborn, but statistics are more pliable." Mark Twain
On 06 Mar 2004 00:53:27 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme (Charlie Self) wrote:

Yes, indeed. I'm looking forward that.