OT: Marion Jones ...

Page 1 of 2
... is a class act!
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Un like some polititions. Oddly, it was told that for the National Track And Field Hall of Fame in New York to remove Jones images and accomplishments it would cost $200,000.00.
"Leon" wrote in message:

You got the point right off the bat, Leon! :) ... _compared to most American politicians_, who flat out REFUSE TO TAKE RESPONSIBILITY FOR THEIR ACTIONS, whether it be driving off a bridge, killing someone and then running the other way; pandering sex to a page, or in an airport; or worst of all ... ignoring the issues bringing this country to its knees.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Marion Jones should be a much more respected person NOW than before. Before, she was an athlete that did not really contribute to society other than for entertainment. Now that she has admitted to being human, making mistakes, and taking responsibility for her actions she is setting a fine example of how a person should start correcting a wrong.
"Leon" wrote

Glad to hear that you had the same take on the situation that I did. Watching the FULL news conference, not the edited "soundbites" on later channels (which obviously mislead O'Reilly), I was impressed by what appeared to be a sincere contriteness, AND the fact that neither The Rev Jesse, nor brother Sharpton, were on hand to play the race card.
Hope it stays that way.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Problem is... people are more interested in spectator sports than politics. They care more about sports stats than congresspeoples' voting records.
"Dean H." wrote

politics.
Duly noted ... also the prediction that they will eventually "rue the day" is a no brainer.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07
Dean H. wrote:

Has anybody ever tried to push "baseball cards" for politicians?
--John
On Sat, 6 Oct 2007 20:01:54 -0400, "J. Clarke"
That's funny!
Votes - L Campaigns - Both Stance - Wide
<G>

I hope some pro cyclists follow suit!

She only 'fessed up after her lies were discovered.
She's yet another disgrace to track and field. I have no sympathy for her, and no admiration of any kind.
She's a cheat and a liar who got caught, plain and simple.
http://improve-usenet.org /

I think they should just allow any and all performance enhancing drugs in all sports. Hell, let them put enough nitrous oxide up their asses to propel them to 2 second 100 yard dashes and then watch them explode at the medal ceremony. Have them wear Pfizer and Smith-Klyne logos on their shirts. The Oxycontin Nationals!!
I appreciate the fact that Jones humiliated herself on TV, but I can't help but think that some of that is motivated by the fact that she really didn't have any other options. She bobbed and weaved for 7 years proclaiming that none of it was ever her fault. So what's next? Rehab and finding Jesus? The speaking engagements for money?
I also watched Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart cry on TV... of course they were sorry.
But I do agree that she's a much bigger mensch than so many politicians... in that light, she looks pretty good.
"Dave Balderstone" wrote

Well damn her! .... how _human_ of her to go and do that! :)

Only if you care more than a warm bucket of spit about "track and field".

Good ... because that was precisely what she stated she was NOT looking for, particularly from those who had looked up to her, like kids.

And so she amply/repeatedly stated.
Now back to the point ... there are plenty _still in public office_ who fit that description, to a much greater detriment to the country, and who will never take responsibility for their cheating and lying.
If Marion Jones proves to be sincere she will have the opportunity to set a better example than she ever could have hoped as someone whose sole contribution to society was to run in circles for the gratification of the "sports fan".
IMO, that will be much worse than "disgracing track and field".
But, that's just my opinion ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

An example of what? Someone who was prepared to continue lying, even under oath, about her cheating, forever?
She's no shining example of truth, integrity, and honour, and she never will be. I hope she's stripped of her medals (has she offered to return them and requested that her records be expunged? If not, will she?).
May she end up like Ben Johnson, a tragic parody of herself living the rest of her life under a cloud of shame.
http://improve-usenet.org /
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

Damn, sports fans are a tough lot ... one just wishes they would be equally harsh on their elected leaders.
An apparent irreconcilable difference in the belief that humans can indeed be forgiven their transgressions is not worth a continuing argument.
My personal hope is she becomes a productive example to the young of this country of what NOT to do.
... time will tell.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

I don't care about sports AT ALL. I follow no professional sport, have no favorite teams. I think the whole "pro sport" nonsense is a giant scam that separates suckers from their money.
Nor do I follow so-called "amateur elite sport" which is nothing of the kind.
And I'm curious how you think you know what my attitude is toward my "elected leaders" or how harsh I am on them in public or private.

Forgiven? Certainly. Held up as a hero for our young people for getting caught? Not bloody likely.

She became that when she got caught. My beef with you is that you seem to think she somehow deserves not only respect but admiration for lying, getting caught, and then sobbing on camera.

Indeed.
http://improve-usenet.org /
"Dave Balderstone" wrote in message

And my beef with you is that you mistakenly think its "respect: and "admiration" for "lying, getting caught, and then sobbing on camera".
You're mistaken ... I "respect and admire" anyone who admits they made mistakes and can "'fess up" to it.
There a difference ... and it ain't all that subtle.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

Sorry, I had no idea who Ben Jonson" was/is, and assumed, obviously wrongly, that anyone who would bring him into the conversation would logically know, and therefore be a "sports fan" of some sort.
Yeah, I know all about "assumptions" ... my apology.
It's not your attitude ... but the fact that this lady ran around in circles, on foot, in some manner that wasn't kosher, obviously a dastardly deed, but not in the same league, relatively speaking, with the truly evil in the world.
That we are losing our perspective on these things as a society is inarguable, IMO.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/30/07

No, just Canadian. Ben is still something of a national sore spot up here.

I actually think there's a cogent argument to made to drop all drug testing in sport, professional and otherwise.
If people want to risk death, cancer, and insanity in the pursuit of hitting a ball, running in circles, or beating each other up, it doesn't hurt my feelings.
Let the market decide, knowing that it's probable the pricks are doping.
The problem is when people like Jones and Johnson (or Clinton, Kerry, etc) want to deceive the market and still profit.
It's the same problem, at a basic level, that you're talking about in politics. People cheating the system for profit.
http://improve-usenet.org /