OT - Manly Songs I like

Page 2 of 2
Mon, Feb 19, 2007, 10:45pm snipped-for-privacy@erehwon.com (tomwatson) doth sayeth: Aw c'mon JOAT - you just looked that list up - what about, "What do you do with a drunken sailor"? <snip>
I dunno. Mug him?
JOAT When in doubt, go to sleep. - Mully Small
(J T)

Sink the Bismark by ?????
Nuwave Dave
NuWaveDave wrote:

Johnny Horton
jo4hn wrote:

Yeah ... most anything by Horton ... I was just now listening to Battle of New Orleans
But who sang the "Ballad of Little Jimmie Brown" (mewspaper boy)? I was SURE it was Horton but I can't find anything linking him with that title.
Bill
rascal less in the world.
Originally by Mac Wiseman. Blue grass Style.
Bill Hall

In 1814 we took a little trip Along with Colonel Jackson Down the mighty Mississipp
We took a little bacon And we took a little beans And fought the bloody British In a town called New Orleans
We fired our guns and the British kept a a'comin' There wasn't nigh as many as there was a while ago We fired once more and they began a'runnin' On down the Mississippi to the Gulf of Mexico -- NuWave Dave in Houston
"Bill in Detroit" wrote in message

That was named "Jimmy Brown, The Newsboy" and was Mac Wiseman.
"Little Jimmy Brown", aka "The Three Bells", was by Jim Ed Brown ... and was the very FIRST national Country Music "Number 1 Hit", out of Nashville in 1959.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 2/20/07
Bill in Detroit wrote:
> But who sang the "Ballad of Little Jimmie Brown" (mewspaper boy)? I was > SURE it was Horton but I can't find anything linking him with that title.
The Browns.
Lew
Bill in Detroit wrote:

A Google search brings up links saying it was the Carter family.
Jimmy Brown, The Newsboy A.P.Carter
I sell the morning papers sir my name is Jimmy Brown Everybody knows that I'm the newsboy of the town You will hear me yelling "Morning Star" as I run along the street I have no hat upon my head no shoes upon my feet
Never mind sir how I look don't look at me and frown I sell the morning papers sir my name is Jimmy Brown I'm awful cold and hungry sir my clothes are torn and thin I wander 'bout from place to place my daily bread to win
My father died a drunkard sir I've heard my mother say I am helping mother sir as I journey on my way My mother always tells me sir there's nothing in the world to lose I'll get a place in heaven sir to sell the Gospel News
FLATT & SCRUGGS - Greatest Hits
I don't recall a Flatt & Scruggs record ever coming into our house.
"How much is that fleabag in the window ...     the one with the long mangy tail? How much is that fleabag in the window,     I wonder if that mutt's for sale"
;-)
rascal less in the world.
Found it! http://www.lyricsfreak.com/r/roger+miller/jimmy+brown+the+newsboy_20117788.html
Roger Miller was often heard in our house when I was a MUCH younger man. ;-)
rascal less in the world.
NuWaveDave wrote:

Make him the captain of an Exxon tanker....
J T wrote:

"The Auctioneer" One of my favourites "Wolverton Mountain" "Tom Dooley"
regards John

Cool idea!! I will print out the lyrics to Paul Anka's HAVING MY BABY..and we can all sing along!