OT - Man angry at Verizon hurls phones

You need to review the number of responders and realize that _all_ others will be excluded at the switch, but aside from that, the boys are also shielding and directing antennae to gain directionality and frequency reuse at the same tower, as well as increasing the numbers of minicells.

As to your other problem, you might try read>

Reply to
George

I leave you with a final thought about the reliability of cellular networks.

I've spent 20 something years in network operations with some big company that provides all kinds of phone, data, and wireless service. My company car has cell phones and a cellular data port.

This car is also equipped with a 2-way trunked mobile radio system, which we buy space on from a large radio provider. Certain vehicles, control centers, and central offices are radio equipped, but your typical installer's or technician's vehicle is not. This radio provider also does comms for many of CT's PD's, FD's and other public safety agencies. This radio is NOT used in day to day operations, but it's tested weekly. Keep in mind that 2 way radio service covering a large area is a rather large expense to company that is constantly trying to cut costs.

Why is the radio there? Because WE know how reliable cell phones are during major events.

Barry

Reply to
B a r r y

I resisted getting a cell phone, finally gave in when my father was recovering from a serious illness, because it gave me greater mobility and peace of mind leaving at home alone when I had to. I don't use it a great deal, don't have a lot of casual chats with friends on it, but it is for me, as you say, a useful tool.

The day after I got my first cell phone, I was in a supermarket parking lot when a woman there staggered and slumped over a car, having a dizzy spell after having forgotten to take some medication. I used the phone to call her husband (she didn't want 911), and he, a couple of blocks away, brought her the medicine while I stayed with her. It was a relief not to have to leave the woman to go find a phone to call for help.

The cell phone was a BIG help when I was hit by a drunk driver last summer. The driver tried to get away, and I was able to keep her in sight while I contacted the police. That incident caused me, when I switched service a few months later and got a new phone as part of the bargain, to get a feature I considered even sillier: a phone with a built-in camera.

After the accident, when the drunk driver realized she couldn't get away, her very drunk/stoned passenger got out of the car, staggered back to me and tried to assault me (he was too stoned to accomplish much or require much defense beside leaving the scene - after telling the 911 dispatcher on my cell phone where I was going, of course). But my passenger was a friend on vacation, and he happened to have his digital camera at hand, and he took a picture of the idiot trying to hit me! The cops loved this 'Kodak moment' when they arrived. I realized later that some on-scene photos of damage to both vehicles might have been helpful; I've read 'helpful hints' columns suggesting people keep a disposable camera in the car to document accidents.

So far (about six months) the only really practical use I've found for the cell phone camera was when a client's vacation home was burgled and we needed/wanted photos for the insurance company of the damage before I secured things and cleaned up the damage; saved me a trip home for a camera.

-- Robert

Reply to
Robert E. Lewis

Wires are still needed to get the signal to all those towers. The lines going to the tower can still get knocked out.

Brian Elfert

Reply to
Brian Elfert

Underground is pretty wind-resistant.

As I drove the country for 5,000 miles in the last two weeks, I can't recall seeing above-ground service too often in those three towers (A,B, PCS) spaced every twenty miles along the trunklines. Saw a number of microwave links, though.

Not to worry, your state/county/municipal Emergency Preparedness pe>

Reply to
George

That's why I have to carry a satellite phone similar to those used for field work by the military on my company truck.

Nova

Well, I always considered it a no brainer to carry a cell phone or handset when I went on service calls to base stations. No sense relying on what I was dispatched to fix working well enough to notify me or call out for parts/help.

Reply to
George

The "sat' phone is on top of the order wire and "POTS" line at every site, and the cell phone I always carry.

Nova

I'm not sure I buy that. How do they know that the cellphone in our ambulance is allowed, but the one in my pocket isn't? I've bought a lot of cellphones over the years, and have never been asked to specify if it was for the fire department or not.

Reply to
Dave Hinz

there are cell phone overrides that will give priority to certain phones over others in certain emergency times. i believe they have to be registered with the phone companies. you can get these authorizations from local emergency officials.

they're used to get calls routed when the general public has overwhelmed the local cell towers (earthquakes, hurricanes, etc).

Reply to
Charles Spitzer

I guess my point here, is that I _am_ a local emergency official, and have heard nothing about this. Maybe it's regional? Do you have any specifics on this? (email is fine, we're more off-topic than usual at the moment).

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

It's called the "Wireless Priority System" (WPS) and was instituted earlier this year. See:

Novak Buffalo, NY - USA (Remove "SPAM" from email address to reply)

Reply to
Nova

While this is quite correct, of what I have seen, most place don't use the system. When cells get overloaded, nobody gets through.

Reply to
CW

year. See:

it, I appreciate your (and Charlie's) time.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz