OT - Man angry at Verizon hurls phones

Page 4 of 4
Communicate with who? Get in the damn bathtub, and cower before Mother Nature's wrath, like you're supposed to!
Kevin
--
=====
Where are those Iraqi WMDs, NOW?

well, around here tornados haven't been a significan't problem, and I'm above the flood plain. besides, any disaster that takes down the cel system is likely also to take out the phone lines.
Not the case. On 9/11, cell phones were virtually useless in parts of NY. A few years ago, we had an earthquake here in Seattle. Again, cell phones were next to useless though the landlines were fine. The problem is limited capacity. Cell systems are designed to handle a certain load. They become overloaded easily. Landlines have the same problem to a certain degree but not nearly so much so. Unfortunaly, emergency services are, more and more, going to trunked radio systems and are finding out, the hard way, that they suffer the same capacity problems as cell phones.
>besides, any disaster that takes down the

You make a statement easily disproven. The most common and destructive natural calamities are weather-related, and the cell systems (with their encoded priorities) outlast the copper wires and wooden poles. This information is too easily available to be disputed. The cellular operators normally bury, so survive.
Trunked radio, which uses telephone trunking technology, can also be used as isolated towers, like the old repeaters. BTDT.
With multiplexing there's little danger of exceeding the capacity of either system.

You can have all the paper stats you want. It doesn't change a thing. I've watched it happen.

George,
    Cellular networks often get temporarily overloaded when there's a sudden traffic jam. <G>
Multiplexing provides more capacity over less physical copper or fiber. That's it. It doesn't provide extra emergency capacity or growth on demand, and it doesn't increase penis size, either.
Barry
Barry responds:

Damn. They lied to me again.
You need to review the number of responders and realize that _all_ others will be excluded at the switch, but aside from that, the boys are also shielding and directing antennae to gain directionality and frequency reuse at the same tower, as well as increasing the numbers of minicells.
As to your other problem, you might try reading some of your SPAM.

I leave you with a final thought about the reliability of cellular networks.
I've spent 20 something years in network operations with some big company that provides all kinds of phone, data, and wireless service. My company car has cell phones and a cellular data port.
This car is also equipped with a 2-way trunked mobile radio system, which we buy space on from a large radio provider. Certain vehicles, control centers, and central offices are radio equipped, but your typical installer's or technician's vehicle is not. This radio provider also does comms for many of CT's PD's, FD's and other public safety agencies. This radio is NOT used in day to day operations, but it's tested weekly. Keep in mind that 2 way radio service covering a large area is a rather large expense to company that is constantly trying to cut costs.
Why is the radio there? Because WE know how reliable cell phones are during major events. <G>
Barry
B a r r y wrote:

That's why I have to carry a satellite phone similar to those used for field work by the military on my company truck.
Well, I always considered it a no brainer to carry a cell phone or handset when I went on service calls to base stations. No sense relying on what I was dispatched to fix working well enough to notify me or call out for parts/help.

George wrote:

The "sat' phone is on top of the order wire and "POTS" line at every site, and the cell phone I always carry.

Were they wooden phones?
Bill.