OT - Man angry at Verizon hurls phones

Page 2 of 4
snipped-for-privacy@aol.comnotforme says...

We've got one that gets turned on when one of us goes somewhere without the other just in case. And we take it on trips, but only a couple of neighbors and relatives have the number.
Now the idiots that use them while hurtling down the highways, ...
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

Larry Blanchard responds:

Yes, like the guy this morning, blowing down Grand Central, lane closest to the double strip, cell phone to his ear and staring to his right. It got me to move ALLLLLLLLL the way to my right!
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
Agreed Charlie, I don't have one either. If only those people that really needed cell phones had them, it would probably not be a viable business. Used to be, people valued their privacy. Now, everyone has to "keep in touch", an idea that was pushed by the cell phone industry to sell their product.

mill............
one.
intelligence

I work in IT, in the mortgage industry. If our systems are down, my boss loses an immense amount of money per minute of downtime. For me, part of the job is being not only reachable, but able to act at very short notice.
Not saying everyone with the cellphone welded to their ear is in the same boat, but the business world has changed such that at least some of the folks walking around with the "electronic leash" really don't have a choice in the matter anymore.
Dave Hinz
Dave Hinz wrote:

Funny, isn't it that the people who comment on how they appreciate the ability to reach the important people they reach out to - that those people answer their phones, are the very people who have so much to say about the technologies which enable this contact.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com

Funny isn't it that every person I was writing of has been answering phones that way since the '50s, to my knowledge. Damned few of them had cellular technology back then. The ONLY technology needed for a person to answer his own phone is a landline and an ego that is under control.
Charlie Self "In our civilization, and under our republican form of government, intelligence is so highly honored that it is rewarded by exemption from the cares of office." Ambrose Bierce
Charlie Self wrote:

And way back in the beginning they were the early adopters who jumped on the technologies of the times to support their business and their private lives. You'd be surprised how many times a call to a local business number actually goes through to a cell phone today or to a home phone or to some other location besides the office location. All I'm saying is that it's funny how you and others seem to enjoy the ability to reach someone when you call them and actually applaud that they take your calls, yet as this newer technology is taking off, you have a lot of negative stuff to say about it, while the very technology you seem to think is acceptable was once equally new, considered equally invasive, equally vain, etc. Egos that are under control don't try to dictate to the world around them just what is proper and acceptable based on their own fears, preferences and taste.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
Amen. The knock at the door isn't necessarily the bogeyman - could be opportunity.

Mike Marlow goes on...and on:

Actually, a couple of these people still don't use cell phone technology, home or business, which, anyway, is irrelevant to the point I was making.

Horseshit, to be polite. I flatly stated that for ME, cell phones are a waste of money, and further stated that cell phone technology had nothing to do with people in top business positions answering their own phones. You've taken that and chosen to run it into areas that are not part of my original statement, but something you read into what I actually wrote.
What else I said, the need to be "reach out and touch someone" each moment is equal in illness, or stupidity (you choose), to having to have constant noise (call it music if you like) in the background and foreground 24 hours a day.
Charlie Self wrote:

Actually no - I made a comment about the vocal opinions of some who can't resist throwing their opinions out on others around them. Fine that some may not care to own or use a cell phone - funny that they denigrate a technology or the users of technologies simply because of what they chose for themselves. You are the one who read into it and ran off. And...horseshit is only used politely when talking about garden fertilizers.

See above. One should not express their opinions in a public forum if they are not comfortable with those opinions being challenged. Doesn't mean I consider you to be an a**hole, just means I disagree with you.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@sprintmail.com
There are obviously peope that need them. The there are the other 90% of users.
wrote:

really
creek.net says...

I was a contract programmer, consultant, chief and flunky in process control systems. You haven't seen panic till a whole factory quits running - or starts smoking and bubbling :-).
I turned down an employee job at one customer because I would have had to take turns wearing a pager (pre-cellphone days). I asked if I got paid my monthly salary, pro-rated of course, for the times I wore the pager. You can imagine the response.
If you're on call all the time, you're not an employee. You're a slave.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

On Sat, 15 May 2004 20:45:34 -0700, Larry Blanchard

Maybe, maybe not.
Some of us who have on call provisions rotate the duty. I get it a week at a time, once a month, or so. I am paid if called or not. The better I manage my day to day operation, the less calls I get. I encourage my direct reports to make decisions, take responsibility and do their own job. Usually, I don't get a single call. When I do, someone needs an escalated decision. All of the information I need to provide a decision, or an alternate contact, is in a PDA.
Without these devices, I'd be stuck at home by a phone. With the wireless devices, I'm where I want, when I want. This makes the device a freedom device, with extra pay as gravy. If I don't want the pay, I have peers who gladly volunteer to take my duty time.
Technology can either work for you or against you, it's a personal decision.
Barry

My son owns a business that supplies medical devices and oxygen to people at home. There must be someone on call all the time. I used to take weekends for him at times. I got paid, calls or not.
Pager and portable phone gave me freedom, not slavery. Some weekends there are no calls, but I could go as I pleased within the confines of a third of the state.. It also allows for contact so I did not return home only to find a second call required I be near the fist one, 30 miles away.
Do I still need a cell phone? No, but is sure is nice to have. Like the time my wife ended up in a hospital for six days when we were returning from vacation. It is a security thing also. I don't sit and chat on it at a ballgame or in a restaurant, etc. It is a tool to be used properly. Ed snipped-for-privacy@snet.net http://pages.cthome.net/edhome
That's what it comes down to, ain't it?
Kevin
--
=====
Where are those Iraqi WMDs, NOW?

there
time
I resisted getting a cell phone, finally gave in when my father was recovering from a serious illness, because it gave me greater mobility and peace of mind leaving at home alone when I had to. I don't use it a great deal, don't have a lot of casual chats with friends on it, but it is for me, as you say, a useful tool.
The day after I got my first cell phone, I was in a supermarket parking lot when a woman there staggered and slumped over a car, having a dizzy spell after having forgotten to take some medication. I used the phone to call her husband (she didn't want 911), and he, a couple of blocks away, brought her the medicine while I stayed with her. It was a relief not to have to leave the woman to go find a phone to call for help.
The cell phone was a BIG help when I was hit by a drunk driver last summer. The driver tried to get away, and I was able to keep her in sight while I contacted the police. That incident caused me, when I switched service a few months later and got a new phone as part of the bargain, to get a feature I considered even sillier: a phone with a built-in camera.
After the accident, when the drunk driver realized she couldn't get away, her very drunk/stoned passenger got out of the car, staggered back to me and tried to assault me (he was too stoned to accomplish much or require much defense beside leaving the scene - after telling the 911 dispatcher on my cell phone where I was going, of course). But my passenger was a friend on vacation, and he happened to have his digital camera at hand, and he took a picture of the idiot trying to hit me! The cops loved this 'Kodak moment' when they arrived. I realized later that some on-scene photos of damage to both vehicles might have been helpful; I've read 'helpful hints' columns suggesting people keep a disposable camera in the car to document accidents.
So far (about six months) the only really practical use I've found for the cell phone camera was when a client's vacation home was burgled and we needed/wanted photos for the insurance company of the damage before I secured things and cleaned up the damage; saved me a trip home for a camera.
-- Robert

I know what you mean! The last job I had I was on call 24/7/365! The last year I was there I had a total of 11 days that I was not strpped to a cell phone. It finaly got old and I moved on. The job I have now I am on call every third week, much better!! I still sneak off to the lakes in the summer. Only one time last year did I have to haul anchor and get back to civilization. If it were not for a cell phone I would not be able to sneak off! Greg

Ya know, if I remember the stories correctly, that is exactly what old folks said about "regular" phones when they were just coming into everyday use in most homes. "Hell, if someone wants to talk to me they can ride their horse out to the farm and talk to me. Don't need no damn contraption lettin' people bother me in my own home. Besides, that 'lectricity stuff will probably fry your brain." :)

Hmm, funny really. For me, a cell phone really helps me keep my privacy in many ways. I have an unlisted cell phone number with caller-ID blocking. I use caller ID on my phone (yes, I am a hypocrite). Very, very few people have my cell phone number. Once in a while I might give it to a delivery service, but if they ever called me twice they will get a whole load of crap. My home number has no voice mail and often goes unanswered.
This way I only get calls from people I want them from and only answer them at my convenience. If I don't want to be interrupted I put it on silent or turn it off. For me, this allows me to be out a great deal (particularly long outdoor photo sessions) and still remain in contact with the people I want to, yet ignore the rest of the world when I wish.
This has made my life richer without becoming a hermit.
Don't be so quick to judge how we use our phones.
Paul Kierstead responds:

For you, it sounds viable. I really get a kick out of the caller ID crap. When we moved to WV, the oldest kid had caller ID and her kids have strict instructions not to pick up if the number is unrecognized. We had to resort to email to get through on the damned phone line. The same thing happened when the daughter landed in NY from a trip to Italy, and was going to be way late getting to Greensboro to be picked up. No one at her house would answer the phone because it came from an airport pay booth.
But I also don't recall noting that everyone should do as I do. I noticed long ago whether I was knocking out pages on the machine or shooting photos, there was NEVER a call that came in that couldn't wait a few hours for return. That goes back to the mid-or late '60s, so I'm perfectly willing to continue to force people to wait a couple hours to hear from me. Horrible, I know, but that's life.