OT: Malala Yousufzai

Malala is the little girl shot by the brave men of the Taliban, for wanting to read and write.

What ever your religious persuasion, or lack of it, lets pray that she recovers, and has a chance to grows up to a full and productive life.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

She'll do fine. She's a fighter.

-- They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority. -- Gerald Massey, Egyptologist

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Every boxing match or martial match has two fighters. At the end, at least one of them will be creamed.

Reply to
Just Wondering

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:k64tmi$oor$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

I hope and trust she will do fine, and continue to be an example of what humanity should be.

Reply to
Han

Keith Nuttle wrote in news:k64tmi$oor$1 @speranza.aioe.org:

From a friend in Spain:

Reply to
Han

Didn't you love the debate last night where both candidates talked about educating the fanatics? Malala shows how far that will get.

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

We often question what on earth our troops, British and American, are doing in Afganistan. What are they dying for?

I think we have the answer.

Reply to
Stuart

We can only hope that Malala and those like her in her home country, and those in the rest of the world will worked to bring a religion that was developed in the 7th century, into the 21 century. Yes there are bad things in this century, but at least honor killings are not accepted, and most do not approve of killing your neighbor if he views God differently than you.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

Well, Islam is about 700 years behind Christianity. Look at what the Christians were doing to each other, and to "infidels" back then. In some parts of the world (i.e. Serbia) they're still doing it. But it's rare. So maybe by the 28th century Islam will calm down :-).

Reply to
Larry Blanchard

On Tue, 23 Oct 2012 16:15:28 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

Like all other countries, the US acts in its own benefit. And, there's always some benefit to be gained by getting involved in other countries, otherwise, the US wouldn't be there. Even, if that benefit is only how it's viewed by the rest of the world.

Consider how much the US imports. The US is the only superpower on this planet. That means one of the biggest exports the US has, is its military might.

Reply to
Dave

So, it's been a long battle. That doesn't mean there aren't reasons to do it. Maybe it's a battle that can never by won. That still doesn't mean that it's not a necessary battle ~ not if the US wants its current culture to survive.

Reply to
Dave

Larry Blanchard wrote,on my timestamp of 24/10/2012 11:00 AM:

Hep! That theory is mine! :)

Reply to
Noons

The biggest export of the US is its culture. Our culture has effected every nation in the world.

Reply to
Keith Nuttle

With equipment made elsewhere, merely an increasingly temporary situation.

Reply to
Swingman

Damned shame ... for it has evolved into a culture with an eroded moral component, rotten with apathy, ignorance and greed, and shaped by masters of manipulation via consumerism and the media.

Reply to
Swingman

The bad parts are a shame, but that's not all we export.

I believe we've exported much more good than bad overall, Swingy. Our soldiers, during their off hours, are showing the world their camraderie, gung-ho spirit, charity, willingness to learn, respect, volunteerism, and many other good things. Look at the American response to disasters worldwide. It's amazing. Look at the adoptions of unwanted or unparented children (while many of ours starve and die on the streets, FEH!) There's a helluva lot of good out there.

-- They must find it difficult, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority. -- Gerald Massey, Egyptologist

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Swingman wrote in news:jdmdnc86CbJVbxrNnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@giganews.com:

Keith probably meant affected, not effected.

"Culture" has many aspects, Karl. What you now fulminate against (for good reasons!), was attacked already by Socrates and Plato. Despite that there are still people of high morals around, and good is still being done. What I am afraid of is the image of the angry american who sees no other behavior than his (or her) ways. This is what other peoples don't understand and react against. That doesn't mean we should accept things like "honor killings", but we should be a little more tolerant of what and how other peoples consider normal. And that obviously means that other peoples should accept what we do as well. I'm preaching tolerance all the way .

Reply to
Han

On Wed, 24 Oct 2012 06:56:02 -0400, "Mike Marlow"

It might well be something that can never be defeated. But, that doesn't mean that it shouldn't be attacked wherever possible.

Reply to
Dave

I'm sure that's another reason why the US can't or shouldn't retract all its actions to its own shores. To survive, properly, the US has to stay involved with other countries.

Reply to
Dave

You say that like you think it's a bad thing.

Reply to
HeyBub