OT: Luthiers and guitarists, help please

I'm rigging an old (~1970) Yamaha acoustic finger-buster to play slide. The E-E string spacing on both my acoustic guitars is ~1-3/8". But on all the nut extenders I can find in stores or online, the E-E spacing is ~1-5/8". That won't work, as it'd push the E strings outside the fretboard.
What's the "nominal" or "standard" string spacing on acoustic flat-top guitars? Any idea how to raise the string action? Any sources for a nut extender that'd fit?
Thanks a heap. -Zz "Zz Yzx" rhymes with "physics"; or " Isaacs" if you prefer. http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten.com/zzyzx_road.htm
On 11/5/2011 10:38 AM, Zz Yzx wrote:

The actions on both a hollow body electric and a Dobro I own have been setup for slide, by *raising the bridge*, not the nut.
Some bridge pieces on acoustics simply are a piece of plastic in a small routed groove. In that case, you can just remove the plastic and replace it with a taller one. In the case of my Dobro, the bridge was a fixed height piece of wood attached to the resonator cone. There, a piece of matching sized wood (with grooves cut for each string) was *glued onto the existing bridge* to raise the action.
You can also do a small bit of adjustment to the neck tension via the nut in the headstock once you have the bridge raised, to even out the clearance along the length of the neck. Do his gently and in small increments or you can snap the neck as the weather changes.

Not sure there is one. My Hofner "Country and Western Jumbo" is 1-1/2" at the nut
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails
On Sat, 05 Nov 2011 22:37:21 +0000 (GMT), Stuart

'zat across the widest strings or across the nut end to end?
Thanks for your reply.
-Zz

Across the strings, i.e. from the centre line of the the 1st string to the centre line of the sixth on the nut
--
Stuart Winsor

Only plain text for emails

I measured two of my guitars and they are both 1-3/8 at the nut. Both have radiused necks. I believe a non-radiused neck has wider string spacing.
--
Jack Novak
Buffalo, NY - USA