OT: Lost a dear friend, very skilled accountant and above all, my dad.

Page 3 of 4

When we got to London, her INR was 7.4. A week prior, she was written up in her file with an INR of 4.2. The doctor told the RN to keep given her the prescribed amount. Idiot.

That's malpractice (IMNSHO). Grandma (son-in-law's) once had an INR of 8, but survived that. Took her a long time of declining health to die at over 95. Not pretty.
--
Best regards
Han

My mother had an INR of 8+ once or twice and survived, for a while. She died at 95+, too, but had been living by herself in a senior home until the last year, when she moved in with my brother.
I was on Warfarin for a short time (AF) but had the opposite problem. It took forever to get my INR up to 3 so they could do the jump-start.
<snip>

My boss (before my retirement) needed to go on warfarin according to his doctor. I am totally against doctors selfdiagnosing and treating, but that my boss (a chief of hematology) submitted to this for his not so great problem surprised me. That he stayed on warfarin despite the big swings in INR surprised me even more. And then considering he is a nitpicker of sorts and certainly kept to his diet ...
In summary and in my never humble opinion, if you do not absolutely have to be on warfarin, stay off it. If you do have to be on it, do your utmost to get an in-home machine for checking your INR.
The INR is a measure of blood clotting speed. It is called International Normalized Ratio because every lab (at least used to) have its own way of measuring clotting by adding several substances to blood to start the clotting process. By comparing the test on blood of a patient to that of a normal with standardized reagents, the ratio turned out to be independent of the lab where the tests were performed. A normal INR should be 1. If they INR is lower than 1, you're more prone to forming clots that could lead to DVT, stroke or heart attack. Above 1 by quite a bit and you're in danger of bleeding (gastrointestinal isn't good, but brain is terrible (hemorrhagic stroke)). If you are in danger of forming clots for other reasons (e.g. arrythmia) that would give you DVT, stroke or heart attack, the INR the doctors strive for is from 1.5 to 3. If your INR gets higher than 4 or 5, the doctors start to worry. Above 7 is reason for grave concern or panic because of the enhanced risk of bleeding, especially in the brain. At that end of the spectrum (very high INR), the therapy is stopping the warfarin and intravenous vitamin K. And monitoring the INR carefully.
The way warfarin works is by inhibiting formation of vitamin K, which is needed for a certain special kind of protein modification called gamma carboxylation. This promotes formation of calcium bonds between several blood clotting-promoting plasma proteins and cells. When the (gamma- carboxylated) proteins get bound to cells, clotting goes literally hundreds of thousands times faster than when the proteins are free- floating in plasma without gammacarboxylation.
It takes time for warfarin to effect a new equilibrium of the degree of gammacarboxylation (a day or two) because the vitamin K present takes time to be used up. Vitamin K is also in the diet (broccoli and generally green leafy vegetables are relatively rich in it). So it is very important that someone on warfarin therapy keeps to a constant intake of dietary vitamin K. And that isn't so easy ...
--
Best regards
Han

I never heard of the problem before but suddenly know three people who have had a battle with warfarin and bleeding in the brain just this year .... Guess my acquaintances are getting old.
--
www.ewoodshop.com

that one time I assisted her from her bed to her wheel chair and that same afternoon, Angela showed me my hand prints on my mother's upper arms..bruising. She's 90 pounds, not as if I was working her over like an 8 man.

In my case it was because of arrhythmia (Atrial Fibrillation) and only temporary. It took a few weeks to get it up to 2-3 (they wanted it closer to 3). It was stuck at 1.5 or 1.8, or some such. They wanted my INR at 3 for three weeks before doing a cardioversion. It's over four years, and so far so good.
My mother, OTOH, was on Warfarin for a decade or so. Only the last year or so did they have trouble regulating her INR, I suppose as the kidneys and heart competed for the doctor's attention.
<snip>

Yes, my wife was instructed to leave that crap out of my diet. I've been telling her that for forty years, though. ;-)
On May 22, 6:36pm, " snipped-for-privacy@att.bizzzzzzzzzzzz"

Have her send my wife those recipes. I don't do broccoli...and if I have to, raw in a dip...maybe. That shit's rabbit food, man.... I mean WHO wants their proteins free-floating in plasma without gammacarboxylation. Seriously.. I ask you!

LOL!!!
--
Best regards
Han

Decarboxylation Kills. Vote Republican!
-- Doubt 'til thou canst doubt no more...doubt is thought and thought is life. Systems which end doubt are devices for drugging thought. -- Albert Guerard

OH:
I thought the Wikipedia article informative:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin
Regards,
Edward Hennessey

Yes, indeed.
--
Best regards
Han

Angela taught Medication distribution and the associated MAR paperwork and one totally useless 'doctor' has been reported to the College. That sweet woman turns into a pitbull when it becomes obvious that somebody is incompetent.
"Robatoy" wrote in message
Didn't wake up this morning. He, short of 2 weeks, almost made it to age 90. One of the funniest people I knew, he saw so much humour in so many situations and places.

and know how you will miss him in the days and years to come.
My dad taught me everything about mechanical things and electronics. I have all his tools and spare parts and things. Every once in a while, I need a widget or a tool and go look in dad's stuff. More often than not, he had what I needed.
This is one of the times I think of him without sadness and say with a smile, "Thanks Dad!"
-- Jim in NC
Robatoy wrote:

let anyone know of her condition. I had to hear it from a friend 48 hours before her death. I was pissed since I had talked to her 3 weeks before. She hid the fact that she was terminal, I was told she didn't want to be a burden on anyone.
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Sorry to hear about that. My dad was more like that too. Mom, however, will demand care and attention...I'm not sure which is better.
Robatoy wrote:

78 which came as a complete shock because she was in such good health a year ago. Well at least I thought she was!
--
"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"

Mate. Can't imagine how you must feel. Hoping you find courage in your grief.
Tim W

It is already getting better. I'm going through his slide collection as we speak. We had time-shares in Italy, Bavaria, beach front in Holland, he did just fine. Above all, he was a straight shooter. Never any bullshit from him.
My condolences to you and yours.
Like so many ... been there ... done that.
May your grief be relatively painless, and your memories of the man be sweet, and permanent.