OT: Looking for Winter Coat

Here's the problem: My favorite winter coat is completely worn out, and despite looking for coats for the last 3-4 years I can't find one I like. So I'm hoping maybe I could find a lead by posting here.

What I had was sold under the brand "World Passport". It was a winter coat made in the Member's Only style. Size XL in case you've got an old one hanging in a closet.

Fully elastic cuffs, smooth lining, waist length, 4 pockets: 2 side pockets, 1 breast pocket, and 1 inside. No zippers or snaps on the pockets. Sometimes called a Bomber Jacket. Cloth exterior, not leather.

I noted a couple coats at a second-hand clothing store were in that same basic style, it was apparently common in the late 90's.

I know it's a long shot... and yes, I've checked eBay.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

----------------------------------------------------------- Lands End men's squall jacket.

Best winter jacket I ever had.

Used it for sailing in April and October.

It's still hanging in my closet.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote:

30 years later and things are not the same.

"Fast Eddie", the guy who is slowly liquidating Sears and K-Mart, has his hooks in Lands End since they are now part of Sears.

I don't buy anything from Lands End any more.

Do a search at LL Bean for light weight Ski Jackets. They are imported, but at least quality materials are used.

I just checked my last LL Bean purchase records and they were imported from Portugal and appear to be decent quality. (Turtle neck, long sleeve, pull overs.)

Didn't check Eddie Bauer.

HTH

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

This has possibilities.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Did you take a picture and try a Google Image search? You can upload the picture and let it search.

A picture posted here might help too.

Reply to
DerbyDad03

John T.

hubops

snipped-for-privacy@ccanoemail.com wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

Thanks John, those are very similar to what I'm looking for. I might have to find a TSC and see what they have.

I searched eBay again and found one for sale that's got been damaged slightly.

&autorefresh=true

We'll see if he accepts my offer.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

[snip]

Well, he accepted somebody's best offer about five minutes ago

Reply to
Unquestionably Confused

Unquestionably Confused wrote in news:56449c14$0 $62709$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

Yep, that was mine.

Thanks DerbyDad for the nudge. I was really looking for the picture, but found an active sale. (Now, if anyone sees the picture and says I have one of those I don't wear... send me an e-mail.)

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

Try LL Bean, my main problem with winter coats the last two have had plastic zippers and they no longer zip!

Reply to
Markem

Filson may have something to your liking... They've got a lot of traditional styles. For example, any of with liners might work.

The Tin Cloth takes a while to break in!

Between my various upland hunting coats, jackets and wool coats I've got 8 different Filson coats... plus a couple wool vests. I watch for sales year round!

John

Reply to
John Grossbohlin

I had a similar search for a winter parka, and had some expensive fails. Problem turned out to be that inflation had increased the minimum price necessary to get an adequate product, and I hadn't noticed. I found success only at LL Beans and the like, in the $300 category (some years ago).

The parkas from places like REI (which sell to outdoor types) probably also work, but I found the colors and styles far too garish.

Another alternative is Carhartt, which sells to people who have outdoor jobs, as in construction and oilfields.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

I tailer/seamstress can rip the old one out and sew a new one in in 15 minutes, or less. I forget, it may have cost me $25 including the zipper (a heavy one).

Reply to
Bill

It may have been $15+25, but that was still much better than the alternative! ;)

Reply to
Bill

GoreTex.

High Priced but very good 30+ years ago.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

Markem wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com:

If you take Bill's suggestion, I'd suggest that you tell them you want the best quality zipper they can get. (And will wait for it.) The replacements I had gotten would last 2-3 years. By the time you get 4-5 of them replaced, the material strength is gone.

Puckdropper

Reply to
Puckdropper

I had the zipper on my 30 year old snowmobile jacket replaced about

20 years ago - and it's still going strong. The insulation is breaking down though so I'll likely end up replacing it this year. I don't snowmobile any more but it's my snow blowing and blowing snow jacket - so it gets a lot of use up here in Ontario.
Reply to
clare

I know it's not what you're looking for but I just bought a wool p-coat. It wouldn't help much in Vermont winters but we're living in Georgia now. ;-)

Reply to
krw

Milwaukee makes some nice jackets, but they are heated.

I saw some hanging in a store recently, didn't know they were heated, not sure they were, but they were really nice looking jackets. There web page only shows heated jackets, so I guess the ones I saw were also.

Reply to
Jack