OT - locksets.

Page 4 of 5

Get a gun-owner-lives-here sticker.
nb

I have a little sticker on the most obvious front window that says, "Protected by Smith & Wesson". It's next to the alarm co. sticker. The Smith & Wesson is a 40 S&W. It's kept loaded. (no kids at home) I'm not deeply concerned with a home intrusion while I'm here but we travel quite a bit.
Max
On 5/1/2010 11:57 AM, Max wrote:

One guy I knew added a fired target. A human torso shaped target with the groin shot out.

LOL. A mannequin might be a good idea too.
Max
On Sat, 01 May 2010 16:06:19 -0400, the infamous "J. Clarke"

That's good and scary. <vbg>
http://fwd4.me/MI1 I like this sign, too.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
Max wrote:

------------------------------------------------ How difficult is it to enter your locked home with the universal house key, a 16# sledge or a well thrown concrete block?
Would be a much higher priority than a lockset IMHO.
Lew

A good, current, insurance policy is a higher priority, IMO.

Fully covered but I don't think it would replace a lot of personal items, i.e. pictures, collectibles, etc.

Few thieves want your pictures. Collectables should have insurance riders. In most areas, and all I'd live in, fire is a bigger risk than burglaries. That said, I have been burglarized once but have never had a fire loss.

I have "scheduled" coverage for the collectibles but most of them are irreplaceable. And most burglaries result in damage to furnishings. Most of our furnishings are products of my workshop. Need I say more. <G> I live in El Paso, TX. We have a Class 1 FD (the highest rating) I'm not worried about a fire. The burglary risk is higher. Juarez, Mexico is just across the river....er..... the stream...er.....often just the river bed. In truth, the burglary risk is relatively low, especially considering the location/environment. El Paso has a very low crime rate. But: "An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure."
Max
On 5/1/2010 3:54 PM, Max wrote:

Then add the appropriate rider.

all kinds of personal items... like that swedish blonde tied up in the fruit cellar....
wrote

Uh......No....she's a Latina. Marvelous cook. I call her Mahoney. I've kept her around for 45 years. She's apparently also very tolerant. {:-)
Max (tolerated)
On Sat, 01 May 2010 13:30:23 -0500, the infamous
following:

With video confirmation of home contents stored offsite and updated annually.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Bingo. -- Doug

Um..... Am I being presumptuous to assume that you're about to tell me how to overcome those other deficiencies? I would be willing to re-prioritize. At this point, I feel as if I've done about all I can do with the windows and walls. Wrought iron window guards are ubiquitous in this town so as unsightly as they might seem, we have them. Also on the doors. But a chain hooked to a vehicle would likely overcome those. And a 16# sledge, as obvious as it might appear to neighbors, would wreak havoc on my brick veneer (actually "slump block") walls. I can only hope a neighbor, friend, relative, passerby or the police might wonder why someone is trying to dismantle my humble dwelling. Especially if the vibrations happen to set off the alarm. As Balderstone cleverly pointed out, "If someone wants in, they're coming in." I'm not really worried about them "coming" in. Not while I'm there. I can take care of that. It's when we're gone and they want to "get" in that concerns me. Seriously, all I'm looking for is a replacement for the cheap hardware that is on the house at present. And I'd rather not replace it with something just as cheap. Did you catch Robert's comments? Perfect.
Max
,

A sign in the front lawn pointing out the neighbor who doesn't believe in second-amendment rights and indicating that you will respect his wishes and not to use guns on his property, might work too.

LOL. This thread has resulted in some very interesting information.
Max
Max wrote:

------------------ Not at all, but locks keep honest people honest.
Beyond that, they are about as useful as a set of breasts on a boar hog.
If somebody wants in, they are coming in.
If it takes them more than 5 minutes to rob you blind, they are probably going to get caught.
Plan accordingly.
Lew

Put the good stuff close to the front door? <G>
Max