OT - locksets.

Page 2 of 5

I don't know if they're commercially available now, but Remington made SUBsonic 22LRHP rounds in the 90's at least. The snap of a shot was greatly reduced. Of course, the energy level of the bullet was also reduced, but for small game, squirrels in a bird feeder or other critters/target practice, the rounds did just fine. Even a pellet rifle can be lethal, given where the shot hits and how long a time is allowed for a hit to become incapacitating. Most squirrel shots I made with the cal .177 pellet rifle were instantly lethal and usually even exited the skull. The trick was placing the shot well, not its lethality.
In home defense, there's a balancing act between a number of factors. For instance, a cal .357 or .44 Mag round would have tremendous hydraulic damage beyond the normal wound channel and the result would be a lot of instant stopping power. However, the round could also penetrate the door, walls or ceiling of a home and take out a neighbor as well. Hollow points reduce this some, but the best round would be the frangible bullets.
Another factor is how well you can aim and fire a big handgun. Most people, regardless of their bravado flinch when pulling the trigger. . . particularly inside. That flinch and make one heck of a difference in the aim point.
Finally, a gun for self defense is like a camera. One time on a cruise, we met a well known photographer who did a lot of wildlife shots for National Geographic. I asked him what was his favorite camera and he replied, "Any camera I have with me when I want a camera." Guns are like that as well. Sure, a cal .454 loaded with HP rounds would be the ideal pistol to stop some creep coming in your window, but if you have it in the closet because it's too big and heavy to have with you normally, then good luck. For most burglars and home intruders, any shot, whether from a cal .22 derringer, little auto or a .32 would be a good deterrent, whether just flashed, fired at the ceiling or at the intruder's center of mass. It's enough to make him depart, which is the goal.
--
Nonny
On most days,

Didn't say that.
On Sat, 1 May 2010 23:30:15 -0700, the infamous " Rumple Stiltskin"

The cylinder on that pistola was long enough and that style round is the self-defense default. Why does it seem farfetched to you? A Short is lucky to penetrate deeply enough to hit bone and stop, let alone stop an attacker.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

A little old lady ...
On 5/2/2010 5:38 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

What difference does it make? .22s have good penetration, quite adequate to go through important bits of your brain or your heart. They have little stopping power but with good shot placement they'll kill you deader'n Hell. It's just gonna take a while for you to die.
By the way, when it's pointed at you by someone you think intends to use it a "little .22" looks like the Holland Tunnel.

So you think she buys hollow points?
On 5/2/2010 10:38 PM, Lobby Dosser wrote:

I think it makes no difference what she buys.
On Sun, 2 May 2010 14:38:41 -0700, the infamous "Lobby Dosser"

A video's worth thousands of words:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
Dj0Syzrn8 with a MG.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k1PJThTQx4M

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmcQB9yQzjs&feature=related
AR-15 semi.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7z288zuTOkM
with a Glock. and .357s, .44 mags, etc.
Again, why does a LR cartridge seem farfetched?
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Why would anyone think that she had LRHP rounds. Not the most common round. LR, maybe.
On Mon, 3 May 2010 00:09:44 -0700, the infamous "Lobby Dosser"

Hollowpoints are all I've ever bought, mostly for the explosive factor on cans and bottles full of water (or recycled beer, way back.) I don't recall seeing any roundpoints when I bought my last brick of 'em at BiMart. Anyone advising her would say "get a bigger gun if you're going to defend yourself with it." And they would advise either frangibles or hollow points for any caliber for self-defense use.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

And get the training ...
wrote the following:

But of course, and the practice, before it's needed.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

The weapon shown in the photograph is certainly capable of firing them.
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

My weapon of choice inside the home would a double barreled 12 GA sans barrels loaded with ))

Granny rocks. But some target practice and a heavier caliber would be a good idea. -- Doug

I love a story with a happy ending.

They had a story about bumping locks on the TV news here a while back. They showed that it was quick and easy, but what the police said was the big thing. They said that very few burglars bothered. Kicking the door in is faster.
Bill

I Googled that and ended up with "Schlage Max". Looks promising. Thanks.
Max

Schlage is onwe of the better basic residential-grade lock mechansims. There are several others at roughly comparable prices that are equally good. Go to a professional locksmith shop and see what they sell for *BASIC* locks. :)
Note: about all that 'higher security' (Note: *NOT* true "HIGH security") locks like MEDCO buy you is that someone who gets their hands (temporarily) on you keys will have a very difficult time copying it.
For basic business use the standard of reference for base-level security is the Yale brand.
To _rationally_ go beyond anything of that level, one needs to spend time considering, and 'hardening against attack' the -oter- possible means of ingress. e.g. things like security bars on the windows, and metal entry doors set in metal frames.
The single *biggest* thing you can do for home security is to _not_ use a clock mechanism where the lock is integral to the door-knob. Regardless of the quality oft he lock mechanism, those are defeatable with a simple pipe wrench.
Comment: the _first_ step in any kind of security/defense plan is to quantify the type of _threat_ you are attempting to protect against. Doing that gives you a *LOT* of information with regard to establishing what you need to do for protection.
Some basic threat classes: 1) the -property- is a 'target of opportunity' -- the bad guy is 'just passing by' and decides to see if he can break in. It is generally "sufficient" to be 'more difficult than nearby properties' to break into. 2) -you- are a 'target of opportunity' -- someone gets ahold of (or copies) your keys and decides to 'see what can be seen'. This is where copy-resistant keys like MEDCO are very effective. 3) You, or your property, are selected 'with malice aforethought' as the target of a WELL-PLANNED, carefully directed (and executed), attack. Nothing short of a full-time professional security force will so much as slow these kinds of attackers down.