OT - locksets.

Page 1 of 5
This is likely not the appropriate NG to be asking but I'm so impressed with the knowledge here (G) that I thought I'd ask anyway. I want to replace all the exterior door locksets and deadbolts. I've read a few "reviews" on some but what say you all? I don't want to spend a fortune but like most of my purchases, I'll spend whatever it takes to assure reasonable security. ("bumpproof", pick resistant, etc) Any recommendations?
Max

"Best" or "medco" brands.
scott
writes:

Checking them out. Thanks, Scott
Max

No specific recommendations, but you may want to watch out for a feature called "Easy Out" or "Call the locksmith (again)." The interior handle turns freely to open the door, but doesn't release the lock or give any indication the door was locked. As soon as you shut the door, you're locked out.
Locks seem to be one of those things that once you hit a certain price point you stop paying for quality and start paying for style. (And you may not get the same quality for a higher style lock.)
Puckdropper

Locks are to keep your friends out. No lock is pick or bump proof.

"Resistant"?
Max

30 seconds instead of 10?
If someone wants in, they're coming in.
wrote

Quite right. I only wish to *discourage* them. I have a burglar alarm. Some thieves simply go door to door to see if someone left a door unlocked. My purpose in posting my inquiry was to see if anyone might have some *worthwhile* contribution. Scott Lurndal did. But thanks for your wisdom. Even if it's in the category of *DUH".
Max
No worries. You won't hear from me again.
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 20:33:46 -0600, the infamous Dave Balderstone

If not through a door, through a slider. If not a slider, a window. If not a window, they get out their cordless chainsaw (or recip) and make a door in under a minute. Or they just drive through a wall. I've seen all of these methods used in the USA in the past few years.
The sliding glass door was shattered with a 30 pound rock in the middle of the day, in broad daylight in a close neighborhood. None of the retired neighbors (as close as 40' away) heard a thing. Amazing.
-- Losing faith in humanity, one person at a time.

The rule I've heard is that you can get away with a single loud noise. People might say "What's that?" but usually won't investigate. That slider breaking will probably just be a sharp crack sound that could be anything. -- Doug
On Sat, 01 May 2010 09:40:19 -0500, the infamous Douglas Johnson

Haven't you ever heard a large window breaking? It goes on for several seconds with loud tinkling sounds. It's damned noisy. Kicking a door in is one loud, low thud and it's over. No way to triangulate noise, but the window should have lasted long enough to locate, if anyone was in earshot. <shrug>
Gloria never did get her $12,000 diamond ring back.
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist

Your typical residental burgler couldn't pick a lock to save their life. Think "kick resistant". You want a good long deadbolt that sets into a strong plate with screws that go deep into the framing. Don't forget good long screws in the hinges. Even then, you are just slowing them down a few seconds. -- Doug
wrote

I *think* I've pretty well covered those categories but I appreciate your emphasis on them. There are other measures I've taken as well; the burglar alarm, exterior lighting, shrubbery kept trimmed. Good relationships with neighbors. <G> A dog (albeit a somewhat friendly one) whose bark is bigger than her bite.
Max
On 5/1/2010 9:35 AM, Douglas Johnson wrote:

Speaking of "kick resistant", you might get a kick out of this recent story...
http://www.kcci.com/news/23208133/detail.html
"And the police reloaded it for me"
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

Cool. BUT, I don't see why that guy was afraid of the little .22, do you? Maybe it was the loud noise it made which sent him back out of the house. He thought "Damn, that'll rouse the neighbors to call police.", I'll bet. He looked big enough to handle all 6 shots and keep on comin'.
P.S: Goodonya, Aunt Bea!
-- Courage is the power to let go of the familiar. -- Raymond Lindquist
"Larry Jaques" wrote:

------------------------------------------ Once again you speak while having your head where the moon doesn't shine.
Having shot tens of thousands of rounds of .22 long riffle hollow point rounds, trust me, it would be no problem to sever the spinal column resulting in instaneous death with a single .22 LRHP round.
Think of it as a baby dum dum.
Lew

You think the old lady was shooting LRHP rounds? Seems a might far fetched.
On 5/2/2010 2:30 AM, Rumple Stiltskin wrote:

If you think that a .22 is nothing to be afraid of, then please shoot yourself in the head with one.

A friend of my uncle's bagged a black bear with a .22LR. One shot, between the eyes. She also bagged a polar bear (the rug was in their den), but not with a .22.