OT: Linux Troll

Page 3 of 3

I use/run XP, Win2K, Solaris and Linux @ work. I use XP @ home.
I choose simply to "conform" at home. Its a battle in which I chose to surrender, at home.

C'mon Tom. Disk is cheap. GHz is cheap. Are you being pragmatic or is there some dogma involved?
Before I caved @ home - I used tools like Ghost and dual-boot to see if I could live with Linux on a home box. I decided it wasn't worth the effort.
YMMV.
Hello Tom,
Setup can be a pain and doing some of the things that were second nature in Windows will require a lot of reading of the man pages. Installation of software programs can also be quite different. Earlier versions of Linux/Unix required one to mount the CD/floppy drive and when finished, to umount them. Learning the OS will be pretty much uphill for awhile (2-3 months) before you get comfortable with it. It is quite a bit better thatn Windows on memory, file, and data management. As far as what flavour to get, SUSE seems to be taking the place of RedHat which got all bloated in ego and began charging. I used Slackware for a time but the installation is something that was a horror! Every little itsy-bitsy thing it would ask you if you wanted it. And being a novice at the time how the heck would I know if I needed it. Have never tried Gentoo or Debian. All the Linux flavours are pretty much the same varying primarily in where some files are stored. Star Office is a package that pretty much does what MS Office does and from what I've seen you can save in the MS format. A-CAD 2004/5 is NOT available in anything but Windows. Virus protection is a must on all computers. Most noise./news is generated about the Windows environment as that is what most users are using. When I install software on Macs I ask that the virus protection be disabled as it will interfere at times with some programs' being installed. Ever so often I hear "I don't run any." I fear the day that some a$$hole writes a particuarly malicious virus for the Mac as many folks will be hit hard and IT support will have a lot of cleanup to do. If the new laptop is big enough, you can try installing a dual boot system. Have Linux on one patition (actually it would sit on 3 or 4) and Windows on another. That way you can have your software as well as being able to play around with Linus.
Note: My own philosophy is that regular users and I include myself, don't give squat about the OS, the more transparent the better. They just want to be able to use their software.

snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com says...

amount, Slackware is a great distribution and extremely flexible.
Someone commented that in Unix you really do need virus protection. I had said that you didn't. What I should have said is you don't need it if your only connection to the outside world is a dialup and your ISP does a good job of filtering. Both of those conditions apply to me - I should not have forgotten that they didn't apply to a lot of others. Sorry.
--
Where ARE those Iraqi WMDs?

It looks like I won't be making the new laptop into a Linux box.
I need to leverage what I already know and I'm already pretty well versed in Windoze. I can't really devote the needed time to learning the ways of Linux on a machine that needs to go into the bidness world fray right out of the box.
Jeff Thunder had an interesting suggestion - get a second hard drive and load some flavor of Linux on that. This would allow me to play around with the Linux stuff and get used to it - while not mucking up the business side of the machine.
The deal killer is really that I need to use Autocad and I need to pass files back and forth seamlessly with coworkers who are, without exception, using MS business apps.
A further concern is how a Linux box would interface with my company's network and the Axapta ERP.
It seems that Wintel will be the lingua franca of the business world for some time to come.
I appreciate all the help and will begin saving my pennies for a spare hard drive.
Thanks to all.
brought forth from the murky depths:

Excellent idea.

There is a program called Wine which makes Wintel proggies work under Linux, so you should be able to run Autocad with it.

You can get 160 gigs for less than a Benjy today. I love it! Maxtor 40G for $50, WD Caviar 160G for $99. AfreakinMazing. http://www.pricescan.com/items/item145747.asp
------------------------------------------------- - Boldly going - * Wondrous Website Design - nowhere. - * http://www.diversify.com -------------------------------------------------
On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:01:02 -0700, Larry Jaques

wine has a reputation for being buggy. autocad has a reputation for being demanding. good luck.
The instances I have heard of running Autocad under WINE, the results were not good.

On Wed, 07 Apr 2004 20:53:28 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@igetenoughspamalreadythanks.com brought forth from the murky depths:

Wine is free. Isn't there a similar program (not free) which works better? Also, Autocad is known for being a bit buggy. I've heard engineers in the next -building- screaming at it when I worked at Palomar Technology. <g>
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - If God approved of nudity, we all would have been born naked. ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- ----- http://www.diversify.com Your Wild & Woody Website Wonk
I've seen the same thing. The majority of the time, it is the operators inability rather than the software.

On Thu, 08 Apr 2004 08:02:48 -0700, Larry Jaques

the thing with autocad is it's *old*. autodesk has one hell of a task on their hands: maintaining and updating hugely complex software in a fast changing world while maintaining backward compatibility with decades worth of their customer's custom scripts and add-ons, old data, old ways of doing things and so on. I have a digitizer built to run on autocad 10 or so. I don't use it much, but it is supported in the current versions of autocad.

There's VMware. I haven't tried it, but I think you can get VMware for windows so you can run linux under it, and VMware for linux to run windows.
--
Mike Iglesias Email: snipped-for-privacy@draco.acs.uci.edu
University of California, Irvine phone: 949-824-6926

It was the latter to which I referred.
---------------------------------------------------------------- * OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design * meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos * "death by music" * http://www.diversify.com ----------------------------------------------------------------
Larry Jaques wrote:

No, it's Latin for "vomit" I'm pretty sure.
Larry Jaques wrote:

expensive.
brought forth from the murky depths:

Oops, I forgot that detail. Make that 40G for under a Benjy. http://www.pricescan.com/items/item151598.asp OR make that 80G for just over a Benjy. http://www.pricescan.com/items/item152667.asp both USB2 externals.
----------------------------------------------- I'll apologize for offending someone...right after they apologize for being easily offended. ----------------------------------------------- http://www.diversify.com Inoffensive Web Design
Larry Jaques wrote:

could buy a plain old 2.5" laptop drive for cheaper than those externals. Then if you want an external, take the old one and but a $25 usb2.0 case and stick it in.

Smart move given the situation. :)

There are several distributions out there which you could use directly wiThout mucking up your HD. Knoppix is one I know about--it runs entirely off the CD. It would give you a _feel_ for how things are moving along in Linux.
Totally free, of course.

The file passing shouldn't be an issue (vide post), but having autocad work well could be. Have you asked the makers of the system?

I can't speak to Axapta, but Linux, like any othe *nix, can talk with any LAN out there. Gates didn't invent LAN's. He copied, like most others.
Wine is a possibility for Windows apps, but there are others. All have various limitations, as Windows changes things constantly (moving target idea).

Linux is slowly coming around to address the needs of this area. It basically comes down to working with a population which doesn't have the background to do their own setups. (I do not say this with criticism--it is simply a fact.) Linux was/is a geek's OS.
Outside of that it is excellent, very strong and capable.

Grab an old box out of the trash at your company and use its HD. Oops. You have a laptop. How big is the HD? Linux doesn't take much space... ;-)

Cheers,
Kenward Vaughan Debian (Sid) Linux
"One disk to rule them all, One disk to find them. One disk to bring them all and in the darkness grind them. In the Land of Redmond where the shadows lie." -- The Silicon Valley Tarot
My advice is to do a search for a LUG. Linux Users Group. They are every whwere and see when one close to you is having an installfest. You show up with the computer you want to install linux on and there are usually seeveral linux gurus there. It can be a fun time an hey there is someone there who can take you step by step through the installation. They usually have several distros available there and you just may find someone there who uses linux to do exactly what you want.
I'm currentlly a member of both the GNHLUG and the NNHLUG.
D. Mo

On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 19:19:48 -0400, Tom Watson wrote:

If you decide someday to give Linux a try, here's a link to a migration guide:
<http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20040412/index.html
-Doug
--
"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always
depend on the support of Paul." - George Bernard Shaw