OT: Light bulb

Page 2 of 2
On Wed, 2 Mar 2011 05:11:20 -0800 (PST), Robatoy

I once was at a JAP friend's house for dinner. A dozen of us LoCalers gathered for Thai dinners often, but she wanted us to come over for Thanksgiving. Strangely, she didn't invite me over again after I gently opined that the Gefilte fish tasted like a fishy version of SPAM.
Dayum, I wish I could still handle those #10 heat Thai dinners. I miss the massive facial sweating from a nice, fresh hot pepper. One of the places, Thai, had a dual pepper heat chart. 1-10 for the American side, then on top of that 1-20 on the Thai side. The hottest Thai pepper made Scotch Bonnets (Habañero) feel like ice cream. I had a numb tongue for a week after a wee taste only once. (It might have been a divot in the tongue instead of numbness. That stuff is worse than nitric acid.)
-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Got to love that gefilte fish...blech, puke, retch. Not for me. I did get introduced to lots of good jewish/yiddish food by two of my business partners, back in the 80's. Sunday morning, Pickle Barrel in Toronto. Tried it all, loved most. I'm still totally addicted to Moe Panzer's Montreal Smoked meat sammiches on rye.
I was 'educated' in no uncertain terms about Thai food by my oldest daughter. After one trip to Thailand, she took me for authentic Thai food in Toronto...not that commercial crap passed off as Thai. Got to love that.

The heat thing is okay, but if the heat takes away the joy of eating, I'll pass. I was practically raised on Indonesian food, so 'heat' wasn't anything I though about until some of drinking buddies got into the Volcano/Suicide Buffalo wings. You keep that shit. WTF is the fun there? Too hot, greasy, overpriced, tasteless. What is the point? Typical drunk food.. like eel pie.
Now some Szechuan chili paste on their types of dishes I can handle. Hot, sure, but tasty too. ... and there's always a jar of Sambal Oelek nearby our dinner table.
Back to JAP humour:
One of my favourite jewish lines(joke) is: Mother: "Sammy, do up your coat. You mother is getting cold."
On Wed, 02 Mar 2011 07:36:26 -0800, Larry Jaques

You can find any pepper you want
http://www.penzeys.com /
Mark

<sigh> I've since discovered that I'm allergic to the Nightshadefamily of plants (tomatoes, potatoes, chilis, peppers, eggplant) and have mostly given them up. Key phrase: wish I could still handle 'em.
After 25 years, I found that I can now tolerate potatoes and eggplant once more, but peppers and tomatoes really kill me. If I ate a whole one of either, I'd feel like a 90 y/o man the next day, barely able to get out of my bed. Joints and muscles would be chock full of lactic acid and I wouldn't want to move. So, I mostly avoid them. But thanks for the sourcing. Someone else might benefit from the link.
-- The art of life lies in a constant readjustment to our surroundings. -- Okakura Kakuzo
On 3/2/2011 2:37 PM, Markem wrote:

@hotmail.com says...

While Penzeys has a wide range of peppers, they certainly do not cover the entire spectrum of variations.
Lobby Dosser wrote:

Conversely...
Q: What's the difference between a JAP and poverty? A: Poverty sucks!
On 3/1/2011 7:57 AM, Larry Jaques wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
H6LNuKq-g
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v
5UTbBrD8M
BACKWARDS by Rascal Flatts
I was sitting on a wooden stool In a barbecue joint in Tennessee When this old boy walked in And he sat right down next to me I could tell he'd been through some hard times There were tear stains on his old shirt And he said you wanna know what you get When you play a country song backwards
You get your house back You get your dog back You get your best friend Jack back You get your truck back You get your hair back Ya get your first and second wives back Your front porch swing Your pretty little thing Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring Your get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley First night in jail with Charlie Sounds a little crazy, a little scattered and absurd But that's what you get when you play a country song backwards Well I never heard it said quite like that It hit me in the face cause that's where I'm at I almost fell flat out on the floor He said wait a minute that's not all there's even more
You get your mind back you get your nerves back Your achey breaky heart back You get your pride back You get your life back You get your first real love back You get your big screen TV, a DVD and a washing machine You get the pond and the lawn And the rake and the mower You go back where you don't know her It sounds a little crazy a little scattered and absurd But that's what you get When you play a country song backwards Oh play that song Woo!!!
We sat there and talked about how it would be If we could turn it all around and and change this C-R-A-P
You get your house back You get your dog back You get your best friend Jack back You get your truck back You get your hair back Ya get your first and second wives back Your front porch swing Your pretty little thing Your bling bling bling and a diamond ring Your get your farm and the barn and the boat and the Harley First night in jail with Charlie You get your mind back you get your nerves back Your achey breaky heart back You get your pride back You get your life back You get your first real love back You get your big screen TV, a DVD and a washing machine You get the pond and the lawn And the rake and the mower You go back where you don't know her It sounds a little crazy a little scattered and absurd But that's what you get When you play a country song backwards
On Tue, 01 Mar 2011 13:34:08 -0700, Just Wondering

Thanks. So that's where it came from.
-- That is what learning is. You suddenly understand something you've understood all your life, but in a new way. -- Doris Lessing

Good artists borrow. Great artists steal. For everyone else, there's copyright...
On 2/28/2011 12:00 AM, Robatoy wrote:

How many psychiatrists to change a light bulb?
Just one, but the bulb has to really, really want to change.
--
Robert Allison
New Braunfels, TX