OT - Life's too darned short...

I've been pondering this message for a couple days--whether it made sense to send it or not. Maybe this won't connect with anyone, but maybe it will.
I've spent a lot of time with family over the past week: family that's sick or dying. Here's the rundown:
- 91 YO grandfather with end-stage CHF - 87 YO grandmother with Alzheimers' disease - 68 YO father who is in a nursing home, and had both legs removed because of diabetes - Father-in-law of best friend (87 YO) who is having 4-way bypass and a valve replacement as I write.
I'm not writing because I'm looking for sympathy...but because seeing everyone has hammered home the message that life is too darned short to argue with people, and get bent out of shape when people don't do what I think they should. And the fact that tomorrow is the 2-yr. anniversary of 9/11 just puts the finishing touch on my feelings.
IMHO, the most important things in life are family, loving and being loved, and enjoying the gifts you've been given. I know we sometimes get divisive and backbiting in the wreck, but hey...we're an extended e-family here. And you all have families and friends in the real world, too...
So, my unsolicited advice...take the time tell someone you love them. Apologize (even if you're not wrong) if it'll help mend a broken relationship. Get in touch with God (if you believe) and talk to him like an old friend. Call someone you haven't called in a while. Approach work with the attitude that, while it pays the bills, it ain't the be-all/end-all. Spend more time celebrating your successes than fretting over your mistakes. And take some time to figure out what matters most in your life, and then do it--no matter the consequences (side note: "First Things First" by Hyrum Smith is helping me figure this out for myself). And most important...make a LOT of sawdust! (C:
That's just what I'm thinking right now. Hope it makes you think, too.
Jim
Amen Jim. There's nothing so much fun as sitting on the floor with your grandchild watching Barney and getting into the songs and excitement. My loss is that I was always too busy to do that with my kids. But they love me anyway.     mahalo,     jo4hn
p.s. And no, my grandson is NOT in his 20s.
PC Gameplayer wrote:

Glad you did! It resonates very well here. Thank you.
PC Gameplayer wrote:

Heh, I guess we *are* on the same wavelength in some way. I bought SWMBO some flowers yesterday, for absolutely no reason.
Ron Magen wrote:

Yeah, it was sort of precious actually. I stuffed the flowers up the back of my shirt. When I walked in, I asked her to give me a hug. She was sitting on the couch with a bunch of stuff on her lap, and she was slightly annoyed at having to get up, until she felt the telltale crinkle. Then her face lit up. It was money well spent.
Only thing better is to have 'em delivered at her job. That way she gets to gloat on you to all the others....

Jim:
With utmost sympathy I offer two thoughts: 1. No offense, but life is too LONG to spend it arguing with people, holding grudges, etc. 2. Read "Tuedays with Morrie," the most life-affirmning book I've seen.
Bob

Hey Bob:

I'd agree with that view as well. The bottom line is that arguing and holding grudges hurts us way more than it does the other person.

I'm headed for vacation in 3 weeks, 2 days (but who's counting?), and this is in the stack of books I'm taking with me. Thanks for the recommendation.
And if anyone's keeping score: my gf had a shunt put in to make it easier to give him medicine and drain fluid from his lungs, so he's better. And the father of a friend who had bypass surgery--it was longer than expected, but he's recovering well. Life is good. (C: Now, if I can just get down into the basement to finish the miter table I'm working on...
Jim