OT: Life can suck.

Page 1 of 2

I have only looked around sporadically at the wREC lately as I have been pre-occupied. Aside from the lame attacks by some script-kiddie, there hadn't been a lot of traffic as it was, but it is nice to see a resurgence in the last few days.
I have spent a lot of my time in Saginaw MI lately. My sister (only sibling) from Olatha KS had come to spend a couple of weeks here in Canada to relieve my wife and I for a spell as we have been busy caring for my ailing parents (both soon to be 85). On her first night here, she took a backwards tumble down the stairwell. She had been travelling a lot lately and was quite exhausted when she went up to bed and missed a tread.
At the local Emerge, they diagnosed a broken neck. We medivac-ed her to Saginaw's St Mary's Hospital for surgery by one of the best neurosurgeons in the Midwest. That went well. The spinal cord is not severed, but severely crushed. What we do have, is that she breathes on her own, no brain damage (she had lost a lot of blood from a huge gash) but she is now a quadriplegic. She can talk and her spirits are incredibly high. She is already redesigning her home for wheelchair access (she can move her arms, but not her hands) We are flying her home via a medical charter this week where rehab will begin. The insurance company is bracing itself. (12K for that 2 hour flight)
So if any of you dorkers are waiting for your router or tablesaw to spin down, and you believe in that sort of thing, a quick prayer would be appreciated. Mention Rob's sister and it will get it there. *wry smile*
Oh... and one quick thing... The US medical care we experienced at St. Mary's in Saginaw MI makes the Canadian version look like a scene from the dark ages.... at least in this town. ( I know we have good facilities in bigger centres as well...so keep your shirt on..) My wife is medical professional (soon to be done with her NP) and she was amazed at the quality of care/equipment and professionalism. Like tools, you get what you pay for.
Thanks for letting me bend your ear.
On Tue, 23 May 2006 15:04:54 -0400, Robatoy wrote:
Tragic story snipped ....

Done.
Any time, Rob.
I hope your sister is able to continue to muster good spirits and a positive outlook. She'll need that to deal with the challenges ahead.
--
Art Greenberg
artg at eclipse dot net

She's on my list.
If you liked Saganaw, you'd have been blown away by Ann Arbor. I've done the long haul down there a few times, and it's incredible what unlimited money can buy. Modest Memorial up here has better nursing, but that's because they have more patient time and less paperwork. Imagine it's the same for you.
Robatoy (in snipped-for-privacy@news.bellglobal.com) said:
| So if any of you dorkers are waiting for your router or tablesaw to | spin down, and you believe in that sort of thing, a quick prayer | would be appreciated. Mention Rob's sister and it will get it | there. *wry smile*
Didn't even wait for it to spin /up/.
A friend suffered similar sounding damage about a year ago (slammed to the ground by an unexpected wave while vacationing in Hawaii) and was unable to move any limbs at all for months. Today he's able to stand, walk, and dress himself.
I'm praying for that kind of recovery for your sister. It would seem that sometimes prayers /do/ help - and I'm going for two out of two...

Rob, So sorry to hear this. She was trying to do a good deed and fell victim herself. Tell her to hang in there as well as yourself. Sooner or later good things will happen for you all. No good deed goes unpunished they say................be we all must keep trying regardless of consequences. Good Luck Lyndell
Rob, She is now and will be my prayers. Prayer does work. Thank you for sharing this with us.
Dave
Robatoy wrote:

My thoughts are with you and your family. Life certainly can kick us in the guts every now and again. Things can only get better from here on in.
Good wishes to you all regards John
Robatoy wrote:[snip]>

God's blessings on you, your family, and especially your sister.     sigh,     jo4hn

<snip>
You are all in our prayers Rob.
--
Nahmie
The only road to success is always under construction.

Your sister, you, and your family are in our thoughts and prayers.

Bend my ear anytime. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Hank

Jeez, what a shock... sorry, really sorry. I hope she works it out.
er
--
email not valid

Geeze - understandably so Rob.

Life certainly has it's way of piling up on us Rob. No explanation available. Prayers always available.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
"Robatoy" wrote:
>I have only looked around sporadically at the wREC lately as I have been >pre-occupied.
Have only gotten bits and pieces due to activities on list; however, my thoughts are with you and yours.
Lew
One second it's the top of the pyramid; next it's simply survival.
There seems to be some full plates around your family right now. I'll pray for the strength and guidance you'll need to handle them.
TomNie

Your whole family is in my thoughts. This is hard on not just your sister, but all those around her. You are blessed that she has the courage and character to keep her spirits high.
Best of luck,
Steve
Robatoy wrote:

I've pretty much dropped off this group, but I happened to be lurking today and caught this. I pray that your sister and your family find the courage to deal with this. Her body has been damaged but her soul remains.
Bob Schmall

My thoughts are with you and yours, Rob.
The support from you guys has been amazing. It's meant more than you'll know. I'm printing these posts and e-mails so my sister can read them. Again.. thanks!