OT - Liberation Day

Labeled OT ... For the Kanukistani here. Thanks again! Today it's 66 years that the Germans occupying Holland surrendered to Canadian Lieutenant-General Foulkes in my home town of Wageningen.

And it is my sister's birthday ...

Reply to
Han

Congratulations!

Reply to
Gerald Ross

---------------------------------- That sure out ranks Cinco de Mayo in your world.

Enjoy.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

"Lew Hodgett" wrote in news:4dc2e45c$0$28349 $c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

It sure does outrank that, Lew! Although Cinco de Mayo sounds just fine too. I like celebrations! And thanks to you too, Gerald!

Reply to
Han

Gelukkige verjaardag, zus! Je broer is een goede mens.

H:

If that works as is, good. If it's funny, better. And she can't blame you for it either.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

"Edward Hennessey" wrote in news:zaCdnTqt2Y1bb1_QnZ2dnUVZ snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.com:

Hi Edward: She doesn't read this group, and your Dutch is fine enough. (1 slight correction: "een goed mens" There was 1 e too many, but who counts?

Reply to
Han

OH:

Operation Gambit is working perfectly. Now you can relay it to her in notice of your celebration, her distant admirer and the deplorable state of Dutch language knowledge in this example.

She'll never notice the last line.

Regards,

Edward Hennessey

Reply to
Edward Hennessey

And thanks fro the tulips the Dutch royal family and the Netherlands tulip growers association send every year to Ottawa, which form the nucleus of the Canadian tulip festival. I was there in the early 80s when I lived in ottawa. Truly spectacular.

Luigi Zanasi

A true heartwarming story. I sent the article to here. She was interested.

My wife's ex's family is from Holland. Her son spent time one summer there. Where the workers, in a shop of some kind, threw him into a canal as a rite of passage of some kind. He did not appreciate it. He considered it a form of Dutch barbarism. Everybody laughed at that one.

My wife still cooks up aebleskiver on a semi regular basis. I LOVE those things! I am not really hooked up to Dutch culture. But many years ago, I was at a Dutch festival of some kind in York, PA. There were a bunch of Dutch pastry stands. I went from stand to stand and had some pastry. After about 12 such culinary treats, I got sick. Such is youth! LOL If I tried that now, it would be fatal.

Reply to
Lee Michaels

"Lee Michaels" wrote in news:4dc330bf$0$32749$c3e8da3$ snipped-for-privacy@news.astraweb.com:

I have no idea why or what that custom is. Never heard of it.

Again, I have never heard of aebleskiver. There are several dishes that are tradionally Dutch - appeltaart, oliebollen, nasi goreng are among the ones I like. Overcooked endives and spinach not so much.

My intake is greatly reduced nowadays as well.

Reply to
Han

--------------------------------- Aebleskiver is Danish, not Dutch.

Close but no cigar.

Lew

Reply to
Lew Hodgett

I-5 in Carlsbad, CA in me yout. It's down to 50 acres now and it's a fee tourista attraction. (Sorry for the scat humor. ;) It's still a sight to see, though.

drove past it at the wrong time, old pal.

-- An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -- Sir Winston Churchill

Reply to
Larry Jaques