OT - Let's Hear it for Global Warming!!

Page 4 of 6
On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 12:50:41 -0600, the infamous Markem

Don't be racist, Mark. Who do you think you are, Harry Reid? <snort>
-- What helps luck is a habit of watching for opportunities, of having a patient, but restless mind, of sacrificing one's ease or vanity, of uniting a love of detail to foresight, and of passing through hard times bravely and cheerfully. -- Charles Victor Cherbuliez
On Sun, 10 Jan 2010 00:56:18 -0500, the infamous "J. Clarke"

What, you don't trust a menu from the Hillsboro Black Angus?
--============================================-- Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional. --- http://diversify.com/handypouches.html ToolyRoo(tm) and Possum(tm) Handy Pouches NOW AVAILABLE!
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 15:11:42 +0000, Doug Miller wrote:

Actually, I thought of mentioning that. But those mariners seem to have had a remarkable lack of success convincing the landlubbers of the facts as they saw them. And I seem to remember reading of a definite fear among some sailors of falling off the edge of the world. So it wasn't altogether a landlubber vs mariner thing.
But it's refreshing to discuss history with you rather than politics :-).

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Actually he's talking about either a time long before the Greeks or one that was made up in a fantasy written by Washington Irving. Columbus defended his plans to cross the Atlantic to Torquemada, the guy who ran the Spanish Inquisition at its peak. If there was even a hint of heresy in it do you think that Torquemada would have signed off on it?
The notion that the church wouldn't allow science is something that was made up in the 1800s. Modern historians have discovered that this was not the case. In fact some of the key ideas of modern science came from medieval monks.
As for the Arabs, they're the ones who came up with the experimental method--one thing that held back progress in Europe (others being such things as barbarian raids and plagues and a climate that was friendly to book-rot) was that the Greco-Roman heritage placed an emphasis on theory over experiment. The Arabs figured out the experimental method which led to them pretty much inventing what came to be known as chemistry, as well as making discoveries in optics, astronomy, and many other fields.
On Thu, 07 Jan 2010 10:17:49 -0500, J. Clarke wrote:

"But it *does* move!" Quote from a somewhat famous heresy trial.

Larry Blanchard wrote:

Actually that's what he was purported to have said on his deathbed.
That particular trial, however, occurred after the Renaissance, which marked the end of the Middle Ages, so it's difficult to use that particular trial to support an assertion about suppression of science in the Middle Ages.
In any case, Galileo was tried mainly because he went out of his way to piss off the Church--he may not have intended to but he managed it anyway--today he'd have fit in just fine in the community of annoying netloons who even if they are right get ignored because the alienate everybody who comes in contact with them. If he'd listened to advice and followed the rules, one of which is that if you want to say something contrary to doctrine you present it as an idea to be discussed, not as an absolute truth, and let the heirarchy beat on it at their leisure, then he'd have been in no trouble at all, but he didn't do that. It didn't help that when he finally did add a disclaimer to that effect he did it in a manner which could be regarded as a sarcastic stab at the Pope, and that's exactly how the Pope interpreted it.

One of the best writings I've ever read about Galileo and his issues with the church was written by Former Regan area dude, Dinesh D'Souza in a book called, "What's So Great About Christianity."
As someone who vomits internally (???) at the thought of Christian practices that have done so much damage to the "essence" of Christianity, this was one of the best books I have ever read. Too deep in many places for me, but a keeper for sure.
I've given a copy to a half dozen people or so and except for one, they have all done the same. Very impressive writing whether you are looking for real answers or looking to see why Christianity is doomed if it goes the way of the Bible Belt, etc.
Regards, Joe Agro, Jr. (800) 871-5022 01.908.542.0244 Automatic / Pneumatic Drills: http://www.AutoDrill.com Multiple Spindle Drills: http://www.Multi-Drill.com Production Tapping: http://Production-Tapping-Equipment.com / Flagship Site: http://www.Drill-N-Tap.com VIDEOS:
http://www.youtube.com/user/AutoDrill

V8013-R
On Wed, 6 Jan 2010 16:41:39 -0800 (PST), the infamous Nantz

See recent headlines for the CRU and East Anglia email, Nantz.
-- We rightly care about the environment. But our neurotic obsession with carbon betrays an inability to distinguish between pollution and the stuff of life itself. --Bret Stephens, WSJ 1/5/10
When 95% of the world's climatologists agree on this I have to believe them. When 95% of the world's politicians agree on something, there's still room for doubt. Nantz
Apparently the climatologists are witnessing that they do not have enough data to form anything close to an accurate conclusion in their life times.

And that's really the essence of the matter: thinking of climate in human-centric, rather than planet-centric, terms. The proponents of AGW make two UNstated assumptions beyond the obvious, stated one that human activity is causing the earth to get warmer. Both of these unstated assumptions are unproven at best, and at least one of them is almost certainly wrong:
First, that conditions as they exist now are normal or typical. A good friend of mine has an MS in geology; he tells me that during most of the planet's existence, it's been *much* warmer than it is now, and that we're actually still *in* the last Ice Age.
Second, that conditions as they exist now are optimal and desirable -- that any change from currrent conditions *must* be a change for the worse. In fact, most GW models project an increase mostly in nighttime temperatures (IOW, higher lows), which among other things will lengthen the growing season in many parts of the world, and make agriculture possible in places where it is not now. This strikes me as a Good Thing, not a Bad Thing.

And the term "normal" used my most "weather readers" on the news is a pet peave of mine. Daily when they are trying to jazz up the news they recite that the temperature is "x" degrees above or below normal. That is the most stupid comment I have ever heard said over and over.
First off when talking in terms of climate temperature "normal" is NOT a constant. It is normal for temperatures to constantly fluxuate from day to day, year to year, decade to decade.
The term that the "weather readers" are searching for is "Average". The temp today is/was "x" degrees below/above "average".
When you take data and add it up and divide by the number of pieces of data you don't get normal, you get an average.

Exactly, who is to say what the actual optimum temperature is. So what if there is more coastal flooding, so what if the polar bears have to swim to the south pole to reach their paradise. Living creatures adapt. AAMOF Polar Bears were actually found in Texas, rounded up and returned to their northern home as mentioned in a recent Texas magazine publication. Coastal flooding, that is nothing new, happens every time there is a storm.
"Leon" wrote

You guys had a polar bear invasion?? I never heard of that. They didn't walk all the way to Texas did they?
Now this is a nature story that my missus would love to hear about. Any details?

Texas Parks and Wildlife
http://www.tpwmagazine.com/ktw/media/january-10-vol.2-issue5.pdf
Near the picture of the lizard, the box titled Damage Doers. Read the entire box. ;~)

Now to qualify haveing more time to look at the piece again, it is hard to tell if it actually happened but they do say "beliece it or not" all of that happened. I would say that any Texan would not be suprised about the ants. ;~)
On 1/7/2010 6:18 PM, Leon wrote:

Why not ... IIRC, it's snowed in Houston three times in the last five years, and two years in a row. The two earliest snowfalls on record are 2008, and the one a few weeks back in 2009, that set the record for the earliest ... last time it came anywhere near that was in 1944.
This is Houston, fercrissakes ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Now that is something I would like to see. A Texas polar bear roundup. Maybe we can get swingman to lead that little posse.
MMMmmmmmmm......, I wonder what barbecued polar bear meat would taste like? Don't say it tastes like chicken!
As for the fire ant problem, I suggest we use a liberal/greenie solution. Condoms!!

What is Spike when he's at home?
Leon wrote:

Less than 50 years ago, 100% of geologists were convinced of the theory of "continental drift." In was only in the 1960's that the notion of "Plate Tectonics" became popular. Now 100% of geologists do NOT accept continental drift. A hundred years ago, 100% of physicists held that Newtonian mechanics was the cat's pajamas. Now, 0% of physicists accept Newton as the ultimate truth-teller.
Be that as it may, there ARE disciplines where majority vote determines truth (Romance literature, history, etc.). In math and the hard sciences, truth is empirical. If something cannot be proven, it is not "truth." It is hypothesis. Or conjecture.
Compare the two observational "sciences:" Climate Change and Astronomy.
By careful measurement, astronomy has (with the help of other branches of physics and mathematics), worked out the movement of the planets, motions of the galaxies, wound back the clock to the first milliseconds of the universe, and projected everything into the unimaginable future.
The Climate Change people's theories can't wind back their equations to get the climate 100 years ago and they can't predict the weather next month.
The difference between Climate Change theoreticians and Astrologers is not great.
HeyBub wrote:

Uh, try that one again. "Plate tectonics" _is_ "continental drift".
<remainder trimmed>
J. Clarke wrote:

Uh, not exactly. "Continental drift" was the hypothesis that continents move around, first put forward in the 16th Century. "Plate Tectonics" (PT) is the mechanism by which the movement takes place. Until PT, all manner of explanations were offered as to the possible cause of the movement (if any).