OT: Les Ford. RIP

Page 2 of 3
Bob Dylan ("Blowin' in the Wind") was moseying around the neighborhood adjacent to the baseball stadium in Lakewood, NY where he was appearing in concert with John Mellencamp ("Freedom's Road") and Willie Nelson (IRS).
Local cops get a call at 5 p.m. that some aged, disheveled, possibly Communist, hippie is wandering around loose, scaring the folk.
Cop responds, asks Dylan for ID. Dylan doesn't have any!
Backup unit arrives.
Still no ID.
Dylan put in patrol car and whisked away.
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20090815/D9A334600.html
Gee, I wish my neighborhood cops were that much on the ball.

LOL!
notbob wrote:

Got to admit that the article was very well written. ... a complete unknown

Rob Leatham

I wuz laughing at the refs. "...Willie Nelson (IRS)" Rightfully, more notorious than any of his songs. ;)
nb
Mark & Juanita wrote:

I don't understand your comment, but from the cops point of view, when they see an elderly white man meandering through a minority neighborhood, they immediately think there's one of two possibilities:
a) He's tryin' to score some smack,or b) He's suffering from Alzheimer's.
In the instant case, it could have been either.

What happened to c)? Maybe he was looking for a hooker.
wrote in message

Or what happened to "He's out taking a walk." What bothers me about the incident as reported in the press is that the police took him any where. Last I knew you don't need to have ID in the US and beyond that they had nothing on him...
John Grossbohlin wrote:

A clear case of "profiling" ... where is Quannel 10, Jesse, or the Rev Al, when you need 'em?
Lack of ID these days is apparently due cause for detention ... it ain't supposed to be, and you think it's bad now ...
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08
Swingman wrote:

"Ihre Papiere bitte!"
Anathema to free peoples everywhere, everywhen.
--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar

And even when you *have* id, you can get screwed. Guess you heard about the Canadian woman visiting her mother in Kenya when she started to head back home, Kenya border security said her lips didn't match her passport picture and detained her.
http://www.citynews.ca/news/news_36498.aspx
To make a long story even longer, Canadian embassy officials cancelled her passport, she spent 8 days in jail and then was detained in a security area for three months.
Finally, after a DNA test confirmed her Canadian status as being the mother of a 12 year old here in Canada, she was allowed to come home.
Despite my occasional bitching about some USA practices, you guys wouldn't put up with that shit happening to a US citizen for a second. Our Canadian government consists of wimps and mouthpieces with all the clout and aggressiveness of a six year old. Trust our vaunted government to turn Canada in a world joke.
John Grossbohlin wrote:

New Jersey law requires one to present proof of existence when requested by law enforcement officials.
HeyBub wrote:

Can you provide the statute to that effect?
I'm not questioning your word but it has been my experience that when someone says "such and such state requires by law" without quoting the statute they are often mistaken.

Proof of existence? Just breathe on the "authority."
J. Clarke wrote:

No, I can't. And it's my error.
In Hiibel vs. Nevada, the United States Supreme Court held that failure to identify is tantamount to obstruction of justice, interference with a criminal investigation, and just plain anti-social. BUT. The state has to have such a requirement in its Penal Code.
Evidently New Jersey doesn't have such a statute.
Shhh! Keep it between us.

Back to the original observation that two young cops didn't recognize him. Ok, definite possibility. But, he was taken to the police station where he was identified by his staff management. What about older cops? Weren't there any older cops at the station who could recognize him?
I know many cops are pretty single minded, but there has to be some that like music and have interests outside the job.

Quote from the article:
"The officers asked Dylan, 68, to accompany them back to the Ocean Place Resort and Spa, where the performers were staying. Once there, tour staff vouched for Dylan."
Doesn't read like there was any police station (or arrest/charges) involved. Reads more like "They asked, he cooperated and that was the end of it." If a certain professor in recent history had done the same, there would have been one less beer-bust in the White House, and a LOT less carping and crowing in the press.

Tom Veatch Wichita, KS USA
Tom Veatch wrote:

Right. Contrast this with the actions of Professor Henry Gates in Cambridge. Those who came of age during the '60's - like Dylan - were brought up to respect and trust the cops.
Breeding shows.
On 8/17/2009 5:52 PM HeyBub spake thus:

Excuse me: Bob Dylan respected and trusted the cops?!?!?
Read the lyrics to "Subterranean Homesick Blues":
Johnny's in the basement mixing up the medicine I'm on the pavement thinking about the government The man in the trench coat, badge out, laid off Says he's got a bad cough, wants to get it paid off Look out kid, it's somethin' you did God knows when but you're doin' it again You better duck down the alley way lookin' for a new friend The man in the coon-skip cap in the big pen Wants eleven dollar bills, you only got ten.
Maggie comes fleet foot face full of black soot Talkin' that the heat put plants in the bed but The phone's tapped anyway Maggie says that many say They must bust in early May orders from the DA Look out kid don't matter what you did Walk on your tip toes don't try 'No Doz' Better stay away from those that carry around a fire hose Keep a clean nose watch the plain clothes You don't need a weather man to know which way the wind blows.
Get sick, get well, hang around an ink well Ring bell, hard to tell, if anything is goin' to sell Try hard, get barred, get back, write Braille Get jailed, jump bail, join the army, if you failed Look out kid, you're gonna get hit But users, cheaters, six-time losers Hang around the theaters, girl by the whirlpool Lookin' for a new fool, don't follow leaders Watch the parkin' meters.
Ah get born, keep warm, short pants, romance, learn to dance Get dressed, get blessed, try to be a success Please her, please him, buy gifts, don't steal, don't lift Twenty years of schoolin' and they put you on the day shift Look out kid, they keep it all hid Better jump down a manhole, light yourself a candle Don't wear sandals, try to avoid the scandals Don't wanna be a bum, you better chew gum The pump don't work 'cause the vandals took the handles.
Now, there are probably lots of ways to parse this, but I'd like to know just where you see "respect and trust for the cops" in here.
Besides, Gates did nothing to deserve what the cops did to him; he simply committed the crime of expressing his displeasure to what was being done to him by a white cop.

Even smart white people know better than to dispute who's in authority in a cop vs perp showdown. At least I do. A cop will beat you into the ground or shoot you dead to make you're aware of who's really in charge. I don't care who you are, white, rich, black, poor. If you don't know that about cops, you don't know spit. I suggest reading The Nake Ape by Desmond Morris.
nb
David Nebenzahl wrote:

It was JOKE son! But the Dylan episode does illustrate the maxim that the older one gets, the more conservative they become. Usually.

Right. He committed a crime.
In an earlier time - and a different place - he would have been charged with Sedition, Anarchy, and Insurrection, a non-bailable offense that carried an automatic death penalty.
Gates skated.