OT: Leno's in a pickle, say wot?

Page 1 of 2
How can Leno possibly be successful by taking back the Tonight Show? Conan isn't funny, well, sometimes he is, but Leno has lost it altogether. Go play in your garage, Jay...I like you there.
NBC sure shot themselves in the foot.
"Robatoy" wrote:

He can't.

Neither one of them can hold a candle to what Carson laid down for them to follow.

IMHO, Fallon is a sleeper in this little play.
Lew
Steve Allen was more talented and shear genius with music. Martin
Lew Hodgett wrote:

"Martin H. Eastburn" wrote:

No question about his talent; however, like fine wine, a steady diet of his stuff was more than I could handle.
Lew
On 1/12/2010 5:16 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

Craig Ferguson's got them all beat. By a mile.
(Yeah, yeah, Carson was the best and all that, but those days are *gone*.)

- a Usenet "apology"
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

He certainly has the talent, but the silly format of the show keeps him shackled.
3-4 years ago, he was very amusing.
Today, not so much.
Lew
On 1/12/2010 9:13 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

You mean to say that you don't think hand puppets are the /sine qua non/ of late-night TV humor?

Well, Ferguson knows how to do something very well that most other TV talk-show hosts don't: self-mockery. Now, I certainly wouldn't ever want to watch his show (or any other) every night. After all, this is TV we're talking about. Remember Newt Minnow's famous comment, about the "vast wasteland"?
TV is crap. And Ferguson says so every show. That alone makes him worth watching in my book. (But not every night.)

- a Usenet "apology"

I would agree that Ferguson is the 'freshest' of them all. Doesn't take himself too seriously unlike that smug Kimmel. I am not anti-TV, because I go through the cable guide every night in the hope to find something worthwhile. Mythbusters, some History Channel stuff, Daily Planet, The Festool Channel, thatsabout it.
On 1/13/2010 11:49 AM Robatoy spake thus:

Yeah, smugness. Except for Ferguson, they're pretty much all smug (I agree Kimmel's the worst here). Conan has a nervous smugness; Letterman is smarmily smug. Leno is cocky-smug.
As much as I dislike Letterman, I will say this: he seems to be the only remaining late-night TV host who actually can *interview* his hosts the way the master, Carson, used to. Which means actually *listening* to what they're saying instead of injecting themselves into every comment their guest makes, or angling for a clever double entendre or whatever. That element has all but disappeared from this genre.
And I do appreciate Ferguson for his sheer surrealism, which nobody else on TV seems to even know about.

- a Usenet "apology"
[snipped for brevity]

The WORST for that interjection crap is that Chris Matthews. Nobody has ever finished an answer to a question he/she has been asked by Matthews. I hate that! After two or three times, that guy made it on my shitlist. That whole MSNBC network has gone the way of Fox, but from a slightly different angle. <G> But there's still some glimmer of intelligence there. Olbermann and Maddow are at least smart, although way too far over to the left. That's my biggest beef with gay people. They want to be accepted..then, when they are, they won't shut up about it. Mind you. if I could drink a jug of scotch with Maddow, I would.

out what NBC stands for : "Nothing But Crap".
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

They have nothing to do with the format.
Interviews are cut off simply to meet a predetermined time allotment.
Most of the skits are just plain boring, especially the shtick with the camera.
Lew
On 1/13/2010 4:34 PM Lew Hodgett spake thus:

OK, so it ain't exactly the Algonquin Round Table. I still get a fair amount of amusement from him (Ferguson), albeit in small doses.

- a Usenet "apology"
"David Nebenzahl" wrote:

If they would just turn the guy loose, I think they might be amazed.
Lew
Caught Letterman as he roasted NBC execs last night.
Reminded me of a customer who once said, "That cat went up that hill and sooner or later he's going to come down that hill, and when he does, I'll be waiting."
It has taken 18 years, but last night Letterman "was waiting", and relishing every moment of it.
Lew
letterman sucks as does Conan neither is funny. Jay is only mildly amusing. were is Carson when you need him
len
Leno was ok on the tonite show and I watched because the alternative was Letterman. I don't watch Leno at 10.
Letterman was good when he had his show on NBC. When he went to CBS and NBC claimed rights to all his skits, gags, etc he seemed to lose his zest for the show and I found him to be just plain not funny anymore.
Craig Ferguson is the most likely to be non-PC and therefore have the best humor of the current late night bunch, but he also has a bunch of crap stuff that he does and he admits it openly.
I find Cona nO'Brain to be extremely irritating and think his behavior shows him to be very insecure. Whenever the spotlight leaves him for more than a minute he interjects his middle school class clown schtick and rarely lets his guests finish a statement. He has occasionaly risen above his usual sophomoric humor with a nice topical barb, but this is too rare an event to endure him otherwise. In any time slot.
I miss Carson, Parr, and Cavett. Art
On 1/14/2010 5:48 PM, Artemus wrote:

If you are not an extremely astute, experienced critic, you missed a good chance to be one.
Ditto to all the above ... except I never really cared for Letterman, ever.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 10/22/08

Zucker will screw Conan.. for at least the length of his non- competition agreement...and I'm pretty sure there is one of those.
"Robatoy" wrote:
Zucker will screw Conan.. for at least the length of his non- competition agreement...and I'm pretty sure there is one of those. ----------------------------------------- Let's face it, it's all about the money and who has the best team of $600/hour guys.
Lew