OT: Last time I'll set foot in Home Depot

Page 6 of 7
do what I do: set up auto-pay through your bank. go online to manage your account. Beats licking stamps. payments won't ever be late. You can either input the amount manually for each payment, or set an upper limit and use "auto-pay" so that if you forget, the payment will go through for the correct amount of the monthly bill. I usually write about 2 or 3 checks a month now, instead of over 15.
I forgot the :) when I said it sucks to be a deadbeat. I hope you know I was just being silly!!
dave
mttt wrote:

And I'll take back all of those nasty things I said about the City... :)
pixelated:

Capital One gets $29.00 for that.

Look at the interest rates they get on cards now. Crikey, that 31% rate used to be called USURY!

Didja mail in the cut-up credit card with their late fee?
---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==-- http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online ----------------------------------------------------------
Didn't you wonder why more than a month went by without recieving a bill, or having to send in a payment?
You know, you don't have to wait until you get a bill in the mail to send them money...they'll accept it as often as you're willing to send it to them.
I agree with BAD, "sucks being a deadbeat, eh?"
mikey.
mttt wrote:

Ever have three children under two in the house? Some mornings I wake up and realize I missed yesterday's lunch and dinner.
mttt, Reading your replies to all of the posts on this newsgroup leads me to believe you act with good intentions.
What confused me was the subject: you will never set foot in another HD.
I can appreciate your frustration with the HD Credit Card experience, but I don't see how that translates into never buying anything from them again. (There may be many other reasons not to shop HD, but I don't expect their Credit Card company's policies towards deadbeats to be high on the list).
Anyway, it sounds like everything worked out. mikey.
mttt wrote:

JOAT makes the most sense here. PAY CASH!
snipped-for-privacy@southwind.net wrote:

That makes no sense to me. I buy everything I can on credit card that has a kick back in airline miles, then pay the amount in full every months so I don't pay any interest.
Every $25,000 I spend I get a free round trip airline ticket anyplace in the US or a few places in Canada, every $55,000 a round trip ticket to Europe. If you are middle to upper middle income, you can cycle a lot of money through Visa each month. The grocery store even takes it now.

Don't forget that a lot of cards give you double the warranty on everything purchased with them, and the fact that returning something purchased on a card is much, much easier if it turns out to be a lemon.
---------------------------------------------------------- --== EAT RIGHT...KEEP FIT...DIE ANYWAY ==-- http://www.diversify.com/stees.html - Schnazzy Tees online ----------------------------------------------------------

Rico, that is what I do...
If you drive a car and buy cars, you might want to consider the Citibank card. It pays 2% of all purchases towards a used or new car of any brand. Or the GM Card which pays 5% towards a GM car or any its line of companies.
Leon wrote:

Also rental car insurance and a lot of leverage when you are dealing with a merchant or service provider who won't live up to their obligations. And $5,000 free life insurance from my Visa provider.
Leon wrote:

Isn't there a class action law suit going on against GM for instructing their dealers to disallow the GM credit card discount on new vehicles? I seem to recall the law suit stems from GM instructing the dealers to tell buyers "The plan doesn't apply to that model", etc..
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Perhaps, but I maybe a different version unless something has come up lately.. I do know that the discount was restricted to the original GM vehicles some years back. Saturn and Saab were not eligible for rebate. Anyway, when I cashed in on the GM rebate 7 years ago, the dealer and or salesman never knew that I had any rebate at all. In the closing office I indicated to the finance manager that I would like to apply my GM rebate to the final cost of the vehicle and after a telephone call to the CC company $3,600 was deducted from my total. No prior announcement was required.

Leon wrote:

This is the same experience I had when I bought my 1986 Bonneville. Nobody at the dealership was aware of my GM rebate until we closed on the car. IIRC I also got $3,600 off the total. Regards, Hank

86 Bonneville? I was not aware that (a) the card was available then or (b) it was good for used cars... Was it maybe a 96 model? ;~)
Leon wrote:

day of the week it is. Sometime after the sale, we got a letter from the GM credit card people advising us that they were going to change the terms of the credit card agreement as it related to the rebate on GM vehicles. I don't remember the terms exactly, but we would be limited to $500 a year (rebate credit). The reason given is that we did not carry a balance on our card, but paid the balance each month. I guess to them we were deadbeats. Regards, Hank
Henry St.Pierre wrote:

Funny how credit card companies dislike those of us who pay off their credit cards in full every month. I'm surprised they don't try charging us a fee for that.

I have a GM Card and Citibank card and have not carried a balance ever...I still get the same benefits..
Joe Shmoe wrote:

The credit card companies don't mind at all. They still get the percentage they charge the retailer for the credit card sale, which by the way is passed on to the consumer through higher pricing.
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA
Nova wrote:

processing charges. The card issuer usually doesn't process the credit card transaction, but has a third party do it. In the case of GM, when I first got the credit card (I don't recall the year) the rebate limit was quite high or maybe unlimited. GM was counting on the interest earned on the credit cards to offset the rebates. In my case the rebate was about $3600 IIRC. I don't think they changed the terms of the rebate because of just me not maintaining a balance, but because of many, many others also not maintaining a balance. Regards, Hank