OT: Last time I'll set foot in Home Depot

Good luck. I think my Visa charges $29 for a late fee plus a percentage of the balance. I use an automatic payment to avoid that little problem. Most CCs can be set up to withdraw the minimum payment from you checking automatically, eliminating any late fees. You just make a second payment each month to pay off the balance or whatever amount you want to pay.
Tim Douglass
http://www.DouglassClan.com
Tue, Sep 23, 2003, 3:56pm (EDT-2) snipped-for-privacy@donotuse.com (mttt) <says> <snip> I'll take away three things from this experience: There's a Lowes 100 yards away from Home Depot, I'll shop there; I'll use a Visa instead of a BORG card from now on; I'll ask about Late Fees next time I feel like opening up an in-house card.
Foolish man. The only useful thing you seem to have learned is to not shop Home Depot. Don't use any credit card, period. Pay cash, or do without, until you do have the cash. Or, if you just can't do without, get a personal loan from your bank and buy whatever, less interest.
JOAT The whole of life is a learning process. - John Keel
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 23 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
(mttt) <says>

bunk.
i have one credit card. everything gets put on it. i probably spend <$50 cash/month. paid off at the end of every month. it gets frequent flyer miles. went to the Caribbean for free this year.

I'm glad you got into a counseling program. But please don't project your weaknesses onto others. You already admitted that you have a problem controlling your spending. Not everyone has the same problem. And, as much as you would like to feel it is true, it couldn't happen to everyone. Millions of people manage credit sensibly throughout all their adult life.
Dennis Vogel
Dennis snipped-for-privacy@patmedia.net wrote:

Fair and true. Point taken. I'll quit whining.

I used to have a HD card. My plan was to pay for materials with the card and pay the bill at the customer service desk after I got paid for the job, but HD could not take credit card payments in the store. I closed the account because there was no convenience or advantage for me. Roger Poplin dba snipped-for-privacy@aol.com
SWMBO turned me on to a method that almost sounds like a scam, except it's legal. We have 2 cards (Discover and Visa) that pay a "kickback" based on total amount of purchases. We put everything we can on them and pay before the due date - no interest, zero balance and money back. Not a huge amount, but it beats the hell out of paying interest charges. It's a hoot!
Regards, Charlie Noah
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) writes:

(mttt) <says>

Someone else said this... "Bunk."
I'm well into the second half of my life, managed my finances quite well. Complete w/ cards. You must live a very different life. Credit cards are *unavoidable* in my world. When's the last time you had to rent a car? Ever order a new Starrett Combination Square from Amazon?
Always pay cash? Every buy a house? A car?
I do appreciate you taking the time to share the advice.
Thu, Sep 25, 2003, 9:59pm (EDT+4) snipped-for-privacy@microsoft.com (mttt) puts out: Someone else said this... "Bunk." I'm well into the second half of my life, managed my finances quite well. Complete w/ cards. You must live a very different life. Credit cards are *unavoidable* in my world. When's the last time you had to rent a car? Ever order a new Starrett Combination Square from Amazon? Always pay cash? Every buy a house? A car? I do appreciate you taking the time to share the advice.
ROTFLMAO
Well, I hope I'm still in the first half of my life, at 62. Managed my finances quite well too. Most of the time. Divorce did a number tho, as well as a few other things. Cancer, my son being in an accident. You know, unimportasnt stuff. Some things you can't plan for. And, yeah, credit cards too. And, if I hadn't had cards, the divorce would have been a Hell of a lot less traumatic, because I had to pay off all those bills, big bills. Which in itself, created some more hardships. Oh yeah, the cancer, accident, misc other stuff, any payments either deducted from my checking account, or payment sent, no credit card involved.
Of course I lead a different life. I lead my own life. Quite satisfactory too.
Credit cards are certainly avoidable in my world. Last time I rented a car? Hmm, about 1977 as I recall. Had one Hell of a time doing it too, even with a credit card - in the Army at the time, and they didn't want to rent to military, even career military. However, the last time I rented a truck was either early this year, or last year, I believe. Ever order a new Starrett Combination Square from Amazon? Nope. Had one for about 30 years, not a Starrett. But, last time I ordered something else from Amazon was, either early this year, or late last year. Need a credit card for either? Nope. Did my debit card work in both cases? You betcha.
Do I always pay cash? Nope. Sometimes I use my debit card, which amounts to the same thing. Or make what I want. Or trade. Or even get given something. Ever buy a house? Yep, and it's 100% paid for. A car? Not for many, many years. However, I did buy several trucks. Paid cash, or payments, no credit cards involved.
You're willing to accept the risk that you'll be able to use, and pay off, your credit card each month, and not go into credit card debt. I'm not.
And, you say: I do appreciate you taking the time to share the advice.
OK, I can share some advice. Don't let anyone, anyone at all, even your wife, use a credit card that is in your name.
You guys advising other people to use a credit card, and pay it off every month, so you don't have any interest charges. If that works for you, or you think it does, fine, up to you. But don't advise someone else that it's a good idea. I've known people who did that, for awhile. Last I knew of one, he had over $33,000 in credit card debt. Another, was doing that too, then divorce. I don't know how deep he sunk in credit card debt, but it wasn't shallow.
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 25 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote in message (mttt) <says>

Huh? Do you have $30,000 lying around for a new car? If you do congrats, most don't? Do you have $130K sitting around for a new home? Most don't. Try getting a large loan without credit history, especially with the new scoring system. And the other poster calling someone a 'deadbeat' on a late CC payment...damn that's rough. I'm more inclined to call someone who doesn't pay child support a deadbeat, not someone late on one CC payment.
Sat, Sep 27, 2003, 7:54pm (EDT-3) snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (CyBrShRk) spouts: Huh? Do you have $30,000 lying around for a new car? If you do congrats, most don't? Do you have $130K sitting around for a new home? Most don't. Try getting a large loan without credit history, <snip>
Not paying attention? The discussion at that time was about credit cards, specifically at the BORG. You don't buy a car, or house, using a credit card. Not in my circles anyway.
Cars and houses are a different matter, and yeah, I know about credit history, Think I didn't? But, for those, you get financing, and make payments..
As is, I have excellent history, including excellent credit history. Bought my truck, bank loan, no prob. No credit card didn't worry them. Ain't buying any houses lately, mine's paid for now. But, now that I think on it, didn't have a credit card when I first got the house, those came later. I use a debit card, not credit cards. I don't write checks either (long story, none of your business), Haven't written checks for maybe 15+ years. If checking account direct payment won't work, and debit card isn't appropriate, pay with money orders, or cash. No prob.
Some of you think you can't live like that. Probably not tried either. Makes my life simpler, and less stressful.
By the way, my credit is excellent, because I pay my bills. As a result, not only am I welcome at my bank for loans, I can get no-interest credit at the local gas station, my dentist, and one or two other places, if need be, for some reason.
JOAT If history repeats itself, I should think we can expect the same thing again. - Terry Venables
Life just ain't life without good music. - JOAT Web Page Update 26 Sep 2003. Some tunes I like. http://community-2.webtv.net/Jakofalltrades/SOMETUNESILIKE /
Actually, I tried this very thing, but the dealer said, nuh uh. Seems that 2% service cahrge gets a tad pricey on the amount a vehicle costs. (No, I wasn't going to pay the exorbitant credit card interest on a car loan - I was going to collect my 2% rebate off the card, and pay it off before interest started acumulating with a car loan).
Renata
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 01:10:26 -0400 (EDT), snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote: --snip--

--snip--
(no stain for email)
In rec.woodworking

Well, my boss bought a brand new $57,000 BMW M3 on American Express to get the points for it. Of course, my boss can write a $57,000 check when the bill comes next month too :-)

....and with the profits to be made on a $57,000 BMW, what's a little credit card fee between friends :)
Dave Hall
(CyBrShRk)

i have. bought a used car with a loan from the credit union. within 2 weeks had transferred that loan to a credit card at 0% interest. roll it over to a new card every 9 months when the latest 0% interest rate offer comes in.
On 27 Sep 2003 19:54:27 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (CyBrShRk) wrote:

Then don't buy *new* cars. <G> In two years that car will probably be worth 20k, in three years 15k, an even better time to pay cash for it.
Read the book "The Millionaire Next Door" and a lot of it will make sense. NEVER borrow money on a depreciating item, vacation, etc... if you expect to ever accumulate any money.
Cars can be had for cash, it just takes longer to get nice ones at teh beginning. Buying newer used cars carefully can often allow you to drive them for little more than gas and basic maintenence, especially if you can pick up a "must sell" from someone over their head in debt.

Most of the time, real estate is not a depreciating asset, and loans on it are a whole different ball ame.
Many mortgage companies and credit unions WILL write mortgages to people with solid employment history, a credit history consisting of paying rent only, and a _20-25% down payment_, at competitive terms.
A good down payment can often be more important than credit on a real estate purchase. In a lender's eyes, more of your money equals less risk for them.
Be a true "Millionaire Next Door" and read the book for free via your library. <G>
Barry
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net (Jack-of-all-trades - JOAT) wrote in message

It makes better financial sense to use a credit card with a benefit attached to it, then pay it off every month. We have money from every purchase going into our kids' 529 college plan. We used to buy everything with our Discover card and just take the cash back.
Cash and debit cards don't pay you to use them. Over the years it really adds up. I even use the CC for $0.50 purchases when I can.
Of course, if you're apt to spend more than you can afford in a given month, then sticking with cash is the way to go, as interest will kill CC benefits in a heartbeat. I spent like this until I went through some "training" administered by SWMBO ;)
-Mike

Call 'em up and complain. Odds are they'll waive the fee (once).
brian roth wrote:

Complain? Ask forgiveness, beg mercy, plead stupidity... maybe, but complain?
-- Jack Novak Buffalo, NY - USA

Thanks - I did that, sort'a. He offered to remove the fee. I said "No" since, according to my sense of what's honest and fair, it was my mistake. I just asked him to cancel my account and note my objection.