OT: Last time I'll set foot in Home Depot

Page 2 of 7
Swingman responds:

Oh yeah. The Marine Corps calls those guys "mustangs" and if you EVER see one retire higher than major, let me know. Real career limiting move. Better off going for warrant officer, I think.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
Spoken like a peace time REMF. F*ck the "career limiting moves" ... the whole idea is what the difference would be in a _combat_ situation, but then you'd had to have been in one to understand.
--
www.e-woodshop.net
Last update: 9/21/03
Swingman writes:

Jesus. Someone piss in your soup, asshole?
If not, I hope they do soon.
The point I was trying to make, which you entirely missed in your snide and snotty way, is that the competence level is extreme, but the guys generally get screwed over by the service.
I'll see you some decade.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt

I know one that retired as a full colonel. Incidentally, at one point he was in command of _all_ the Marines in Viet Nam, except those on Embassy duty.
Robert Bonomi responds:

Good. It's nice to know the prejudice against former enlisted wasn't universal. All those I ever met who stayed in retired as captains: I had only heard about a couple retiring as majors.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
On 26 Sep 2003 17:15:37 GMT, Robert Bonomi responds:

Does that mean NOBODY in the military has a career (or is happy in their job) if they aren't a Major or higher?!?
Corporate ladders are for greedy, capitalist peegs.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
Larry Jaques asks:

No. It means there's a basic prejudice against enlisted men getting a direct commission.
There are plenty of useful careers in the enlisted ranks. And at least today, the get a decent wage.
Charlie Self
"Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft." Theodore Roosevelt
Ignorance noted.
The military has an "up or out" policy which, depending on the needs of the service, requires promotion to O-4 (LtCdr or Major) to reach the minimum retirement term unless one has prior service.
Of course, ignorance can be funny, too. Might want to put that on one of your t-shirts.

On Sat, 27 Sep 2003 12:18:31 GMT, "George"
Obnoxiousness noted.

I'm an Air Force brat and never heard of that. Dad retired in '66 so maybe it's new, or it wasn't talked about back then.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown
Larry Jaques wrote:

Yup. When I was in the Army (1985 - 92) they even had "Lieutenant Retention Boards" -- evaluating Lt's to see which they would keep around long enough to try for Captain. It wasn't pretty.
-- Mark

I was an Air Force brat before that. My dad retired from the AF in 1960. They had a saying then, "passover is more than a Jewish holiday". If an officer got passed over more than the alloted amount of times for promotion they were out. I don't remember the details, but the end result was about the same as now. If a person who started out as an officer didn't make Major well before 20 years, they wouldn't make it to the 20 year early retirement point.
Ignorance is an acute condition, easily treated with a dose of knowledge.
Stupidity is a chronic condition which denies ignorance.
pixelated:

the
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:30:02 GMT, "George"

You're quite right. I learned. NO reply necessary.
Plonk.
-- Music washes away from the soul the dust of everyday life. ---- --Unknown

my
credit
You hit the nail right on the head with that answer. Exactly all the same reasons I use a credit card and mine pay back a minimum of 2% in rebates. I don't use the CC to buy things that I cannot afford. I use it for normal daily spending and pay it off every month.
Then you might as well right a check... And again, it is not the card, its the user.

It prevents you from spending money you don't have. The limit is the amount in your checking account.
Although, some purchases are stupid no matter the form of payment. Ed

amount
But it does not prevent you from draining your checking account and not being able to pay other bills because you now have no money in that account. It's all a matter of self controll.
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 04:09:31 GMT, "Leon"

Because a debit card has a limit of the amount of money you have in the bank. Once it's gone, you can't buy anything else. It doesn't stop you from making stupid purchases, but it does stop you from running up a tab doing it.

So, how is a debit card less stupid than a credit card? Are you saying that it is less stupid to drain your checking account and then break down in your car out of town with no credit card and an empty bank account?
.

====================================================A debit card is the same as writing a check (with NO FLOAT) or slapping your cash down at the cash register ... in either case if the car breaks down on the way home has absolutely nothing to do with the initial use of cash or the debit card...
Using Cash, Checks, or debit cards are in my mind the same thing.. (Spending money I already have) Use of a Credit Card is taking out a loan, which requires you to pay interest if you do not pay off the balance when the mailman delivers the bill.
Personally I usually do not carry more then 50-60 bucks in my pocket and make most of my purchases with a debit card... BUT I do carry a "few" credit cards that I do use mostly on the 3rd Blue Moon of every other month.... BUT I pay the balance off the day after I receive the bill in the mail...
BTW the licience plates on one of may cars reads.... (IO NO 1) ....... which really means I earned my "toys" the old fashion way.. thru my own hard work...
Bob Griffiths